[Newbie] Baritone string order confusion DGBE

jpjapers

Reaction score
Hi All!
Ive just purchased my first baritone ukulele (second hand from a friend) and it had no strings when i bought it so i purchased some aquila DGBE Baritone strings and i cant find anywhere that will tell me if im stringing them in the correct order.

On the pack it has colour order red blue green white
if the uke is facing me that means the thinnest nylon string is on the kleft, followed by the thick nylon string then by the thicker wound string then the thinner wound string.

The problem is im sat here trying to string it and my tuning peg on the thinnest wound string is slipping under the tension of the string.
Am i doing this right or am i about to break a £9.00 set of strings?

Can someone help a newbie?
Thanks
Jack

Hi jpjapers
Welcome to UU.
To identify the strings 1, 2, 3, 4... when you hold your uke to play, string #1 is toward the floor and string #4 is toward the ceiling. DGBE tuning will be 4=D, 3=G, 2=B, 1=E. The thick wound string should be #4 with thinner strings as you go to #1. Baritone ukes are traditionally strung like a four string guitar (omitting strings 5 and 6).
Hope that helps.

The slipping string should be wound through the tuning machine 3 times, and if you can trap the end under one of the winds, it will hold better. There are lots of helpful YouTube videos on changing strings. The process for ukes is the same as for many guitars.

–Lori

Last edited:
:agree: What she said!

Top Bottom