Question on strings

hwynboy

Reaction score
Aloha everyone, quick story to set up my question here.
I have played guitar since I was small kid time, and I recently been playing around with the ukulele. I decided to buy one to get myself started, shame on me for not researching my purchase fully. I ended up with a Kala tenor, but not a once piece (I didn't know there was a difference till now). I like my uke, but it does not have the nice sound of a once piece Kala which I tried the other day. Will new nylagut strings improve the sound? If so where should I get them from? I have seen prices from $9 to $30....your kokua is greatly appreciated.

Yea, changing the strings will help and das one of da first things people do. You can try Worth, Aquila or D'Addario Pro Arte. Each string set has their own characteristics as far as tone, sound and feel. A lot of folks who have a Kala favor Aquila. Here's some online sites you can check; Elderly, Ukulele World, Just Strings and MGM. Oh, the Worths are packaged for two sets.

sorry, more questions...
whats the difference between "high g" versus a "low g" on the strings?

An octave. Low-g strings are set up more like a guitar, while high-G is called "re-entrant" tuning and is an octave higher than low-g.

Try the Aquilas first. I have both D'Addario J71s and Aquilas (as well as a few others) on my ukes. I prefer the Aquilas because they're brighter and louder. But the J71s feel smoother to my fingertips.

Yea, changing the strings will help and das one of da first things people do. You can try Worth, Aquila or D'Addario Pro Arte. Each string set has their own characteristics as far as tone, sound and feel. A lot of folks who have a Kala favor Aquila. Here's some online sites you can check; Elderly, Ukulele World, Just Strings and MGM. Oh, the Worths are packaged for two sets.

Kala is now shipping ukes with Aquila strings.

Top Bottom