What brand of strings?

Preacher

Reaction score
Without going into too much depth in your answer (I don't want to eat up too much more of your time) what strings are good for a beginner? All I have available locally is D'Addario and some other brand I can't remember. I see most people here excited about Aquila. But a couple have commented on the thickness being harder on the fingers. And then there's the whole sound issue. I have a soprano Kamaka with really old strings on it.

So, any recommendations? Or does it really not matter, and I should just shut up and practice!?! ;)

Last edited:
Aloha Preacher,

Let me take another angle here...make sure you get a set up and a low action comfortable for you, tip 2) I suggest to beginning ukers to use light guage thin fleurocarbon strings....
the give you a better playability and comfort until you build your finger strength and dexterity.....worth lights and Oasis are double sets, PHD, living waters are good suggestings
they may have a brighter tone, but comfort is foremost for a beginner I believe...good luck and happy strummings..

Last edited:
I suggest fluorocarbon strings as well. As far as what brands that is a personal preference. I love PhDs. I love worth. Just remember that worth strings are two sets in one.

if impatient you should be able to get a pack of martin m600s for 5usd or less. they are on the light side. i just put some oasis high g lights on a soprano ukulele and i like them a bit better than the m600s. just a little heavier.

i'm not a big fan of aquilas. the new d'addario nyltechs are better strings although just slightly.

Last edited:
+1 for Martin M600 from another preacher. They do well on a lot of different instruments. They're also easier to find in a pinch than many fancier brands. I can walk into my small town music store and find them. Often they're the only strings they have for 'ukulele.

I do not like Aquila strings. They make lessen 'ukes sound better, but not so a better one. With Aquila you hear the string, not the instrument.

+1 for Martin M600

Make that +2 :)

I go back and forth between M600s, and D'Addario Nyltechs, as my favorite strings on my Kamaka pineapple soprano - so I'd recommend trying both (Amazon carries both so they are easy to come by).

I actually liked the old formula of Aquilas on that uke as well, but I don't care for the new formula.

And yes, it matters. Old strings will not do your playing any favors - so taking the time to change the strings is well worth it!

Just received some Oasis Lights for my new/old Kamaka white label soprano. I want the bright barky Kamaka sound. Some like a mellower sound on those Kamaka's.

It really does matter - but doesn't need a long winded explanation.

In short - your ears, your style, your taste and your uke are different from EVERYBODY else's - only you can decide what sounds best to you. If I told you my favourite string, you may try them and hate them. Doesn't make you wrong.

Every new uke I acquire, I test five or six types of string on them over a period and settle on what I like best. There are common favourites, but some ukes suit others.

Experiment

This is really the way to go. I'm still in the experimenting phase.

I know how this drill runs: it took me a couple of years and about 6-8 different sets to find the right strings for my Guild guitar.

It really does take experimentation. I've tried countless string options (Aquila, Worth, D'addario, Living Water, PhD, Savarez, Hilo, Fremont, Guadalupe, etc.) and for me, I like Living Water and PhD the best -- but one sounds better on one uke, and one sounds better on another. Sorry, I wish there was a magic answer but it is trial and error for your particular preferences.

Top Bottom