PDA

View Full Version : Season 94 - Opposite Week

vct33
12-01-2013, 11:36 AM
I'm so excited to be hosting a Season for the first time. I'm gonna do something a little different and I hope it's received well from the seasonistas.

THEME: Opposite Week

CHALLENGE: Two songs with opposites in the titles.

Eg - Back in Black and Little White Lies
- Good Rockin Tonight and Bad Medicine

RULES:

* Each seasonista can submit ONE entry which consists of TWO songs.
* The songs MUST have opposites in their titles.
* Both songs posted simultaneously. (in other words within a few minutes of each other and not days apart)
* No bonus videos this week. Sorry, with two songs per entry, I'd like to keep the extra videos to a minimum.
* Multi-tracking is allowed but it is not my preference.
* Season ends at 11:59 pm Hawaii Time on Sunday 12/8.
* Please indicate in the video that the songs have been recorded for Season 94.

JUDGING: I will be choosing 2-3 winners at the end of the week and prizes will be awarded.

BONUS POINTS:

* Creative opposites
* Performing both songs in a single continuous take
* Multiple Opposites (eg. - Good Day Sunshine & Bad Moon Rising)

I hope that covers all the bases. I look forward to your entries. Have fun ! !

RULES UPDATE: OK, in response to a few questions here is an update to the rules. It MUST be two songs however if you can make a medley or megamix out of the songs, that is acceptable.

Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnd6ocseu9A&list=PL2TjgI96wy84PiwfQxKCh03Cnv32KPW3M

myrnaukelele
12-01-2013, 11:43 AM
What an interesting challenge! I'm off to find my songs. :)

redpaul1
12-01-2013, 12:03 PM
My first thoughts were 'The fever' vs 'I ain't got the fever no more' and 'I'm so glad I'm living in the USA' vs 'I'm so bored with the USA' - do those kinds of opposites count?

vct33
12-01-2013, 12:14 PM
My first thoughts were 'The fever' vs 'I ain't got the fever no more' and 'I'm so glad I'm living in the USA' vs 'I'm so bored with the USA' - do those kinds of opposites count?

No. Sorry. Songs with opposites in the titles.

Jazzbanjorex
12-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Oh, Sweet... and sour.

myrnaukelele
12-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Here's a couple lists to get you started thinking about song titles that might contain these words:
http://www.englisch-hilfen.de/en/words/opposites1.htm
and:
http://www.manythings.org/vocabulary/lists/2/words.php?f=opposites

myrnaukelele
12-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Also: a question.
I'm assuming songs with opposites in the title don't count-
e.g.Black and White Rag or Single Girl Married Girl?
You definitely want two songs, correct?

strumsilly
12-01-2013, 02:35 PM
I guess it doesn't hurt to ask , but his
RULES:

I found 2, can we mash them , or is this taking

too far

vct33
12-01-2013, 02:56 PM
I guess it doesn't hurt to ask , but his
RULES:

I found 2, can we mash them , or is this taking

too far

I would accept a medley of two different songs that fit the other criteria.

vct33
12-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Also: a question.
I'm assuming songs with opposites in the title don't count-
e.g.Black and White Rag or Single Girl Married Girl?
You definitely want two songs, correct?

Yes, two songs please.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
12-01-2013, 04:28 PM
Cool challenge. Any Seasonista who's got another cool challenge in mind (and has time and energy to host a Season) should sign up to host a future Season. Many Seasons during the first half of next year need hosts. See what's available and sign up in this thread (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?82618-Sign-up-for-future-Seasons-II).

bird's eye view of my ukelele
12-01-2013, 05:27 PM
super theme, vct33!

okay. i worry that i'm early, if i'm posting first, but i'm sure it's good time now...

my opposites theme is photographically / filmically (is that a word? can we make it a word?) / optically inspired black and white vs colours

first up vid is colours it's a donovan song but the first version i ever heard was by joan baez... i love her version

enough of perfection here's my take...

colours...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnd6ocseu9A

12-01-2013, 05:28 PM
moving briskly along to my second vid black and white...

this is a eurovision (*squeals with excitement*) song it was the 2012 entry by kaliopi for the former yugoslav republic of macedonia, it was brilliant, it was my favourite to win, but sadly my favourites to win never do win, but what the hey, it was still brilliant

if you have one millionth of the fun listening to my take, as i had doing it, then you're in for a really great time! :-)

crno i belo...

or in the english translation...

black and white...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-VMeydVkZs

UkeyDave
12-01-2013, 09:33 PM
So my take is that you want just one video from each entrant containing the two songs in question?

12-01-2013, 09:58 PM
So my take is that you want just one video from each entrant containing the two songs in question?
i took it as meaning two songs that could ...

either a. be two seperate videos (but they must be posted on the thread at the same time ie. in 2 consecutive posts as full embedded video posts, or as a single post if you just post two links or an embedded vid and a link...)(i say all that blah because i don't think you can have two embedded vids in one post)

RULES:
* Both songs posted simultaneously. (that just doesn't really make sense if it has to be two songs in one vid... how do you post your one vid simultaneously? simultaneously to what? simultaneously to your other vid, surely...)

OR b. if you can do both songs in a single take, that would be two songs in a single video

BONUS POINTS:

so you have the choice of doing one vid with two songs in it in a single take... or two vids with one song each

i am prepared to be corrected but not willingly!

mythinformed
12-01-2013, 10:14 PM
I think the general idea is to have ONE entry containing two songs of opposite meanings back to back as to highlight the opposites in ONE vid.

12-01-2013, 10:17 PM
the english language is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tricky

UkeyDave
12-01-2013, 10:42 PM
the english language is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tricky
lol - Lynda - yes it is.
"Each seasonista can submit ONE entry which consists of TWO songs."

pabrizzer
12-01-2013, 11:01 PM
OK.
This was a no brainer for me.
My wife's two favourite words are always and never.
As in I never do the right things and always do the wrong things.
So here is NEVER,
Never Get Out Of This World Alive by Hank Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCaDcP7eDg4

pabrizzer
12-01-2013, 11:03 PM
And here's ALWAYS.
Always Look On The Bright Side of Life by Eric Idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltxXJbVM1Xc

Tootler
12-01-2013, 11:25 PM

But presumably "Night and Day" and "When the Day turns into Night" would be acceptable?

I think you might need to be a little flexible in the way you interpret your rules, Vince. Rather like the Ukelites were in their definition of Heavy Metal bands.

wee_ginga_yin
12-01-2013, 11:36 PM
OK.
This was a no brainer for me.
My wife's two favourite words are always and never.
As in I never do the right things and always do the wrong things.
So here is NEVER,
Never Get Out Of This World Alive by Hank Williams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCaDcP7eDg4

Yes but has she in the middle of the night while you are still sleeping grabbed you by the ankle
and with something like a cheese grater began to take the hard skin off the soles of your feet

pabrizzer
12-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Yes but has she in the middle of the night while you are still sleeping grabbed you by the ankle
and with something like a cheese grater began to take the hard skin off the soles of your feet

Umm...(trying to recall the last 40 years) ... no.
But there certainly has been ups and downs.

And of course MY never is "I'm never wrong. Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken."

pabrizzer
12-01-2013, 11:55 PM
But presumably "Night and Day" and "When the Day turns into Night" would be acceptable?

I think you might need to be a little flexible in the way you interpret your rules, Vince. Rather like the Ukelites were in their definition of Heavy Metal bands.

Opposites ain't that hard.

hard/soft in/out under/over up/down on/off deep/shallow top/bottom low/high same/different big/small slow/fast stop/go

There would be thousands of songs just using those possibilities.

redpaul1
12-02-2013, 12:20 AM
i took it as meaning two songs that could ...

either a. be two separate videos (but they must be posted on the thread at the same time ie. in 2 consecutive posts as full embedded video posts, or as a single post if you just post two links or an embedded vid and a link...)(i say all that blah because i don't think you can have two embedded vids in one post)
(that just doesn't really make sense if it has to be two songs in one vid... how do you post your one vid simultaneously? simultaneously to what? simultaneously to your other vid, surely...)

OR b. if you can do both songs in a single take, that would be two songs in a single video

so you have the choice of doing one vid with two songs in it in a single take... or two vids with one song each

i am prepared to be corrected but not willingly!

I'll certainly grant you that "simultaneously" is not perhaps as self-explanatory as vct33 imagined it to be.

I got the impression that our host for this Season is assuming you have access to some kind of video editing suite, using which you would create one single video from two separate ones (one each of song 1 & song 2), the way directors put together scenes in a movie; or for bonus points, if you were extra clever and brave, performed both songs one straight after the other in one continuous take.

The 'post one vid after another' strategy is slightly risky, because you have to wait a certain minimum time between posts, and in that time, someone else could easily (and perfectly innocently) jump in, so ruining the effect (which has happened to me in the past, so it's not simply a theoretical possibility).

We await further clarification :)

redpaul1
12-02-2013, 12:27 AM

Shame. greenie44 is going to be in town this week. I had a great idea for a 'battle of the bands' uke-off featuring him & me alternating verses from two opposing songs. Never mind. I'll book us some tickets for a trip to the Island :)

wee_ginga_yin
12-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Umm...(trying to recall the last 40 years) ... no.
But there certainly has been ups and downs.

And of course MY never is "I'm never wrong. Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken."

You take your shoes off, and when you go back to get them they are gone.
When you ask where they are, you are told they have been put where they BELONG
and somehow you don't want to get into a conversation about where things BELONG
because you know it will end badly for you.

thesillydave
12-02-2013, 05:11 AM
i'm assuming 2 videos of "opposite" words in the titles, but, 2 different videos which will equal one entry.....maybe posted in the same post..
there is no way i could do back to back songs in one video..., it takes me 5-40 takes to get one song right..let alone 2 songs!
anyway, that's how i read the rules as...if not, mine will be bonus entries! no biggie! (this is all just supposed to be for fun!!)
cheers all!

mattydee
12-02-2013, 05:48 AM
i'm assuming 2 videos of "opposite" words in the titles, but, 2 different videos which will equal one entry.....maybe posted in the same post..
there is no way i could do back to back songs in one video..., it takes me 5-40 takes to get one song right..let alone 2 songs!
anyway, that's how i read the rules as...if not, mine will be bonus entries! no biggie! (this is all just supposed to be for fun!!)
cheers all!

That's how I read it, too, Dave. Looks like mash-ups are also acceptable. I suppose Paul's idea could work if one were to time silences in one song with sound in the other and play them in a split screen, but that's more time than I've got, for sure. Two songs in one week is already one more than I'm generally used to, last Season being an anomaly.

frisbee fred
12-02-2013, 05:59 AM
I think you can do two separate youtube videos. Just post them to the forum at the same time. That's how I'm working on mine.

Tootler
12-02-2013, 06:14 AM
Opposites ain't that hard.

hard/soft in/out under/over up/down on/off deep/shallow top/bottom low/high same/different big/small slow/fast stop/go

There would be thousands of songs just using those possibilities.

I was thinking more in terms of songs with opposites in their title. Trying to identify the boundaries of what our host considers OK

This season will pose an interesting challenge, not just in song choice but also in how to present the choices. OK if you post at a quiet time, back to back posts will work but at busy times, you often get someone jump in between starting your post and finally sending it.

mythinformed
12-02-2013, 06:23 AM
Well page four now and just two entries !! Lol

KoaDependent
12-02-2013, 06:25 AM
I don't mean to speak for the host, but common sense would suggest that he doesn't want to have to search for matching videos over several days' worth of posts. If one post gets between your first video and your second, it likely wouldn't prove that much of a hurdle to the host.

If you're concerned about it, make two immediate back-to-back posts just to reserve the space and go back and edit them to add in the videos and any other text.

mythinformed
12-02-2013, 06:34 AM
After re-reading the hosts rules it makes perfect sense, I think Birds Eye and Pa have it spot on and we should follow the precedent they have set.

Dougf
12-02-2013, 06:43 AM
Might I suggest that as an alternative to two videos with opposites, how about also a single video with opposites in its title? It's usually a challenge for me to do even one video in a week, two can really be pushing it.

12-02-2013, 06:50 AM
After re-reading the hosts rules it makes perfect sense, I think Birds Eye and Pa have it spot on and we should follow the precedent they have set.
if people just want to save time and assume that i (and indeed all women) am (are) always right i think that might help

;)

caukulele
12-02-2013, 06:57 AM
Might I suggest that as an alternative to two videos with opposites, how about also a single video with opposites in its title? It's usually a challenge for me to do even one video in a week, two can really be pushing it.

Hey Doug, that would be a great idea for me too....I barely make one video a week..I can't imagine carving out time for two videos....

GinnyT11
12-02-2013, 07:04 AM

Host Vince said he wanted one entry per person: two songs with an opposing word pair in their titles.

Season 94 can be a week when you do two shorter songs, or two simple songs, or only the first verses of two songs.
Or play just for fun and not worry if it's perfect, thus reducing the preparation time.

pabrizzer
12-02-2013, 07:55 AM
I was thinking more in terms of songs with opposites in their title. Trying to identify the boundaries of what our host considers OK

The host wants Opposites in the titles of the two songs that you choose - what's to consider?

Finding songs with those words in the TITLE ain't difficult.

For example up/down - there are two Credence songs that fit.

Up Around The Bend
Down On The Corner

and from others

Going Up The Country - Canned Heat
Goin' Down the Road feeling Bad

and there were heaps more after a 2 minute search.

BUT you can't embed 2 videos in one post.
Which counts out the simultaneous bit unless you edit the two videos into one clip which Bird's Eye and I have not done.

The Ukelites
12-02-2013, 07:57 AM

You could do a song that's on your playlist and easy to record and find a matching opposite to work on (guess that's the way we'll try to do it).

Like the theme!

GinnyT11
12-02-2013, 08:09 AM
BUT you can't embed 2 videos in one post.
Which counts out the simultaneous bit unless you edit the two videos into one clip which Bird's Eye and I have not done.

Vince is fairly new around the Seasons and may not have realized that you can't embed two videos in a single post. He's a really nice guy (from my PMs with him) and isn't trying to make it complicated. I believe he wants the two songs you do to be posted close together, within a post number or two, and not days apart. That would mean you wouldn't post your two-fer until you had both recordings ready to go.

The Ukelites
12-02-2013, 08:18 AM
sss

ttt

Guess you can embed two videos in one post. But copy/paste vid1 –> post, copy/paste vid2 –> post will do it as well …

But Ginny is right:
"until you had both recordings ready to go"

Let's get it on :)

pabrizzer
12-02-2013, 09:04 AM
Vince is fairly new around the Seasons and may not have realized that you can't embed two videos in a single post. He's a really nice guy (from my PMs with him) and isn't trying to make it complicated. I believe he wants the two songs you do to be posted close together, within a post number or two, and not days apart. That would mean you wouldn't post your two-fer until you had both recordings ready to go.

Yes that is exactly how I took it and is what birdseyeviewofmyukulele and I have done.

If we are required to put the two videos into one clip that is more of a video editing challenge rather than a ukulele challenge. Mind you I hope I have been able to meet that challenge as well.

Here are my two songs in one video.
NEVER / ALWAYS
Never Get Out of This World Alive - Hank Williams
and
Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Eric Idle
Song 2 starts at 2:05
I could have done them in one take but I had to change my shirt and hat. They were done directly after each other.
As you can see I am reading the lyrics. Both are new songs for me although I have done just the chorus of Always Look before (as a mash up/round with Blue Moon, Do You Wanna Dance and Heart and Soul).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-mGu6CCOCk

pabrizzer
12-02-2013, 09:17 AM
sss

ttt

Guess you can embed two videos in one post. But copy/paste vid1 –> post, copy/paste vid2 –> post will do it as well …

But Ginny is right:
"until you had both recordings ready to go"

Let's get it on :)

Tried that - didn't work for me.
You can paste the two addresses that will take you to YouTube and you can create links to take you to more than one video.
But I have never been able to EMBED 2 videos in one post.
Could just be me...

xommen
12-02-2013, 10:05 AM
I am just going to go with two posts for two video's this is my first video: U2 - I fall down

http://youtu.be/J7km7zAKdw4

xommen
12-02-2013, 10:06 AM
And this is my second video: U2 - Stand up comedy. No multi tracking by the way, I was experimenting with holding a shaker egg in my strumming hand.

http://youtu.be/6j7qn5bFJMA

pabrizzer
12-02-2013, 10:43 AM
I am just going to go with two posts

Good job Wim.

U2 offered several possibilities
IN God's Country and OUT of Control
The FIRST Time and LAST Night on Earth

And of course your UP and DOWN choice.

~dave~~wave~
12-02-2013, 11:08 AM
An inspired theme for a Season.

I found two songs on the same greatest hits album by Billy Bragg.
They complement each other not only by title, but subject matter: the optimism of youthful new love vs. the heartbreak of a broken marriage.

Bill wrote the first, and introduced me to the late Ted Hawkins who wrote the second with their duet.

The Warmest Room / Cold and Bitter Tears
Back to back in one video, second song @ 2:37.

http://youtu.be/IPDQpIhtJak

UkeyDave
12-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Here is mine. ONE VIDEO TWO SONGS. Sunny Afternoon by the Kinks and White Christmas. Now you can't get more opposite than that can you? I hope its acceptable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0el5SXs22E

lelouden
12-02-2013, 11:50 AM
I think Pa has the right idea.....I hope! Some times we take instructions so literal that it hangs us up. Clearly we need both vids uploaded to youtube before trying to post. Dave~Wave~ had the right idea by putting them both together like he did. Wish I would have been that smart because it is taking forever to upload to youtube. Im sure before the seasons end there will be a post that jumps between someones pair. That will just have to be forgiven. Its happened to me several times before when there is a lot of conversation going on. Im sure our host had no idea he would cause such controversy over how and what to do here. We'll forgive him if he forgives us for trying to do the best we can to get it right I'm sure:)

lelouden
12-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Thanks for hosting vct33 this week. We're all hoping to get this right. You got us thinking anyway:)
Blue Moon/You Are My Sunshine

Hope this counts:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFCntLgl2Hs

lelouden
12-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Second entry; You Are My Sunshine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-31GQDk5EpQ

wee_ginga_yin
12-02-2013, 12:05 PM
The smiley song is sadder than the crying song... life is like that sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCJ9_bjFVSo

xommen
12-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Good job Wim.

U2 offered several possibilities
IN God's Country and OUT of Control
The FIRST Time and LAST Night on Earth

And of course your UP and DOWN choice.

Thanks Brian, I think I did in God's Country already for some season and try to not do double entries. I actually did not think about the other two, I really wanted to do I fall down when I found I could ;).

redpaul1
12-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Here is mine. ONE VIDEO TWO SONGS. Sunny Afternoon by the Kinks and White Christmas. Now you can't get more opposite than that can you? I hope it's acceptable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0el5SXs22E

#1: From vct33's response to me, I don't think this does count. Gots to have opposites in the title :(

#2: Where is our host?

vct33
12-02-2013, 01:49 PM
I'll certainly grant you that "simultaneously" is not perhaps as self-explanatory as vct33 imagined it to be.

I got the impression that our host for this Season is assuming you have access to some kind of video editing suite, using which you would create one single video from two separate ones (one each of song 1 & song 2), the way directors put together scenes in a movie; or for bonus points, if you were extra clever and brave, performed both songs one straight after the other in one continuous take.

The 'post one vid after another' strategy is slightly risky, because you have to wait a certain minimum time between posts, and in that time, someone else could easily (and perfectly innocently) jump in, so ruining the effect (which has happened to me in the past, so it's not simply a theoretical possibility).

We await further clarification :)

I just don't want a song on Monday and a song on Friday or something like that. Both songs should be posted as closely together as possible.

As mentioned in the OP, there are bonus points for those who tackle both songs in a single take video.

vct33
12-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Birds Eye View

Colours - Very, very nice. I think this is the best playing I remember hearing from you and the song is right in your wheelhouse vocally.

Black & White Didnt know this song but I like it. I was stuck watching you transition into that 4-4-4-7 Emaj chord. Im still avoiding Emaj like the plague.

Pabrizzer

Never Get Out of This World Alive Awesome strumming and cool chord progression on a song thats new to me. Nice vocals. I liked it. I might have to learn it myself.

Always Look at the Bright Side of Life - Nice performance. Fun opposite. I have a true appreciation for your playing. Very good.

Xommen

I Fall Down Cool tune. Good playing and vocals. I really like how you handled the repetitiveness of the I Fall Downs, Im fallin Downs etc.. That can trip people up.

Stand Up Comedy Id say this is bonus points for a multiple opposites. UP & DOWN are true opposites and STAND & FALL are a nice slant opposite as a secondary opposite. Good performance and fun song.

Dave Wave

Warmest Room Im gonna have to check out Billy Bragg. Diggin both songs you did. Nice, lively performance with good playing and vocals.

Cold and Bitter Tears Kudos on the continuous take. Very cool song and great performance. I kept waiting for a baby kangaroo to peek out of your apron pocket. :p

MORE REVIEWS TO COME IN A COUPLE HOURS

vct33
12-02-2013, 02:35 PM
#1: From vct33's response to me, I don't think this does count. Gots to have opposites in the title :(

#2: Where is our host?

#1 - I'm looking for actually opposite words in the titles but it's not like I'm gonna disqualify somebody for a different interpretation. I'm not a tyrant.

#2 - I'm not sure if you expect me to log in every hour on the hour but I have about a 2 hour window each night to check in. Sorry if that's not good enough.

frisbee fred
12-02-2013, 03:03 PM
#2 - I'm not sure if you expect me to log in every hour on the hour but I have about a 2 hour window each night to check in. Sorry if that's not good enough.

That's plenty good enough!

wallyboy
12-02-2013, 03:10 PM
interesting theme,
heres my two,
from me to you,
and I want you,
you, me,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX_OJhlY3h0

wallyboy
12-02-2013, 03:11 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGOa5leoAJY

GinnyT11
12-02-2013, 03:29 PM
You're doing fine, Vince! Pop in when you can to post comments, and don't worry about the what or when of the prizes. :)

Kudos for your novel challenge, which is hard to come up with after 93 weeks of challenges. You've got us paging through song files.

vct33
12-02-2013, 05:26 PM
UkeyDave

Sunny Afternoon A great performance on a fun song. I always like your song choices. I think our musical tastes run fairly close together.

White Christmas Love it. Im a sucker for holiday music and this is one of my faves. Great job.

Lelouden

Blue Moon Very nice. Great performance and fantastic production value on both songs. I gotta learn how to make videos like that one day.

You Are My Sunshine I really like the song choices and this was very nicely played and sung. Loved the harmonica in there. Is that you?

Wee ginga yin

When You Are Smiling What a great sound. Not sure what kind of uke that is cuz Im still sort of a noob but I liked it. Really nice playing and singing.

Cry Me a River This song seems very natural for your style. One of my favorites that Ive seen from you. Good Job.

lelouden
12-02-2013, 06:03 PM
You Are My Sunshine – I really like the song choices and this was very nicely played and sung. Loved the harmonica in there. Is that you?
vct33,
Yes I am the one playing. Upon looking back I wish I could do that over. I am at my mountain cabin and don't have access to my hands free neck thingamabob. I had to go hide in the breezeway to find some quite from my G-baby to add that in. The song was so short that it needed some kind of something to stretch it out:) I was too cold to get it just right. I also sat in the shower to tape both of those songs. Same reason. The bathroom is the only place to get away from everybody...Sometimes!

redpaul1
12-03-2013, 12:09 AM
#1 - I'm looking for actually opposite words in the titles but it's not like I'm gonna disqualify somebody for a different interpretation. I'm not a tyrant.

Sorry, that was just bad timing. I'd come back home to all those discussions about how to interpret the rules for this season, and you must have logged in right behind me. I was really looking round for you to offer us some more guidance - and poff! there you were! Again, my apologies.

wee_ginga_yin
12-03-2013, 01:32 AM
Wee ginga yin

When You Are Smiling What a great sound. Not sure what kind of uke that is cuz Im still sort of a noob but I liked it. Really nice playing and singing.

Cry Me a River This song seems very natural for your style. One of my favorites that Ive seen from you. Good Job.

The Uke is a Skylark made in China and is built like a battle ship. It is based on the triangular uke called the Northern (https://www.google.fi/search?q=Northern+ukulele&client=opera&hs=AZp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=j72dUp_jBuWVyAPnl4CICg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1357&bih=753)
made by a Ukulele pioneer from Canada called J. Chalmers Doane. The best known student to come out of Doane's program is James Hill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hill_(Canadian_musician))
I bought it as a Tenor and only recently it has been pointed out to me that it is a BARI... and well... I had been tuning it up to a tenor
and all the while I was thinking to myself the bridge is going to pop off under the tension or the neck is going to buckle, but the thing
is built like a shipping crate, and I dare say you if you wanted to post it to someone, all you would need to do was afix stamps to the body
and post it without any packaging. It is so robust. I don't own any expensive ukuleles. Some are kids toys from the 50's others are cigarboxes,
and the only "proper uke" is a spruce top Ohana Vita.

cua94
12-03-2013, 01:35 AM
Love these opposites! Your voice is so pretty!

CUA94

hucklelele
12-03-2013, 03:51 AM
Well..... I've been sick....
Got a cold and the voice is not happening that great. Sorry.

Here it is anyway:

THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS
and
THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rER3X0Uai3E&feature=youtu.be

max2173
12-03-2013, 06:15 AM
I'm currently working on two words which are opposites, but only in one specific place; I hope I'm not trying to be too clever. I've even written my own song so I really hope it's allowed. Planning to get them both recorded on Thursday. (Fingers crossed.)

pabrizzer
12-03-2013, 06:21 AM
Any Stones fans?
They have a song called Happy and a song called Sad Sad Sad.
And there are heaps of songs with happy and sad in the title.

frisbee fred
12-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Entry #1 I Will Follow You Into The Dark. One of my favorite songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTEW4JCHwKY

frisbee fred
12-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Entry #2 Sunshine On My Shoulder. This was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNJbHVtm0bU

UkeCan1
12-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Any Stones fans?
They have a song called Happy and a song called Sad Sad Sad.
And there are heaps of songs with happy and sad in the title.

I'm still holding out for FiL to do "Happy Together" and A Halo Called Fred's "I Has a Sad" with me. But we are each working on our own. So that would be, you know, six. And we Do Not Have Time. But in the fantasy parallel world where we did, that's what I'd do. Cuz the happy-song / sad-song controversy - that's kind of our theme.

- Wendy

strumsilly
12-03-2013, 09:42 AM
NEVER my love & ALWAYS on my mind
same opposing words as Pa, different songs.
I can barely get one in a week so this was a challenge. Didn't have much time to practice, and it shows. For those interested in this sort of thing, Pono Bari with Alohi, 2 wound bases on Always, Martin bari with Aquila , reentrant on never.

http://youtu.be/Av3AQBVSU1s

strumsilly
12-03-2013, 09:43 AM
the original had some volume issues, so I rerecorded
NEVER MY lOVE

http://youtu.be/pUhm7oQG3w8

vct33
12-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Wallboy

From Me to You Very nice. I like how you made it your own song. Thats something I dont have the knack for and its not easy to do.

I Want You Beautiful uke and great performance. I think Dylan is money for you. Great job.

Hucklelele

The Last Time I Saw Paris Nicely done. You got stringed instruments all over the place there. ;)

First Time Ever I Saw Your Face My wife liked this one. Great performance on a great song. Nice work doing both songs continuously but I missed the hat on song two. Lol

Frisbee fred

I Will Follow You Into the Dark This is what I love about the seasons. I never heard this song and you sold me on it. I went straight to listen to the original before I even listened to your second song. Awesome job.

Sunshine on my Shoulders Another superb performance. Nice song selections.

Strumsilly

Always on my Mind Love the sound of that uke. You knocked this one out of the park. Perfect song for you.

Never my Love Two fantastic performances. Your playing is so subtly superb in this song.

greyghost
12-03-2013, 02:50 PM
OK, I've gone with the one video, two songs approach, with a touch of mashup at the end. Here, my son and I reflect on Nightmares and Dreams, with an assist from Alice Cooper and the Eurythmics...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2KkgsHAF60

Jazzbanjorex
12-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Two birds in one video. Bye, Bye vs. Hello.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znZbU-Zutok

thesillydave
12-03-2013, 09:20 PM
howdy howdy howdy!!
here's my opposites..give ..and take...cheers!
give...

http://youtu.be/daavV8Fu9QU

thesillydave
12-03-2013, 09:21 PM
and now, "take"

http://youtu.be/yTspU592bJE
happy holidaze!

Rustyy
12-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Lot of stress this week for the less experienced (i.e. me), trying to get two opposite songs up to standard.I was a little concerned I would have to find new opposites if the second song didn't work.
Thanks for the challenge, Vince

My opposites are Born and Died.
So the first is Born, and my song is Emmylou's "Born to Run"

http://youtu.be/2fUejZ1FhJk

Rustyy
12-03-2013, 10:04 PM
and the second is a rather sad song from Richard Thompson - "Withered and Died"

http://youtu.be/nzeVdh4LXxs

Joko
12-04-2013, 03:05 AM
There are so many factors and options that come into play when picking just one song for a week... but picking two. Blew my mind! Wonderful experience wherein I found what sounds like an old standard (Burl Ives sang it, fer crissakes), I Know an Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly, but I had never heard before, and combined it with a Christmas tune!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KITSJoVsX4s

lelouden
12-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Lot of stress this week for the less experienced (i.e. me), trying to get two opposite songs up to standard.I was a little concerned I would have to find new opposites if the second song didn't work.

I had the same concerns Rusty. I think we joined pretty close to the same week. In fact I almost thought this is to hard until I did some studying and realized I'm just going to do my own interpretation of what the host might want. I submitted and then when Pabrizzer made it sound so simple I thought...(brow wipe) Im probably ok:) You submitted two great entries!

Shady Wilbury
12-04-2013, 09:14 AM
My first entry - 'Tequila Sunrise' (not appropriately titled on YT, because I don't want the record companies to demand that I pull it.)

http://youtu.be/-0f8ams9gik

Put a bit of a spin on it with an extra verse from a bootleg version that I can't believe they cut from the studio version.

lelouden
12-04-2013, 09:26 AM
there are so many factors and options that come into play when picking just one song for a week... But picking two. Blew my mind! Wonderful experience wherein i found what sounds like an old standard (burl ives sang it, fer crissakes), i know an old lady who swallowed a fly, but i had never heard before, and combined it with a christmas tune!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kitsjovsx4s

joko, unfreakin' befunnicallyfantabulishious!!!

Shady Wilbury
12-04-2013, 10:32 AM
And...my second entry. A Richard Thompson song that works very well on uke, provided the singer is more accomplished than I am. There are beautiful held notes in this that I just cannot do justice.

http://youtu.be/M92OBYnk47E

The Ukelites
12-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Bad / Good

Part One: Bad Moon Rising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wll8T5Qne8

The Ukelites
12-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Bad / Good

Part 2: You're No Good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enYys8RICBs&feature=youtu.be

strumsilly
12-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Bad / Good

Part 2: You're No Good

but isn't "no good" the same as bad.

bUT you guys are just bad, you know, the "GOOD" BAD. ISN'T eNGLISH WONDERFUL.

strumsilly
12-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Hey vct33. My Never my love has some volume issues so I rerecorded. can you sub this one on the playlist. I'll put it in my orig post, thanks only . if it isnt too much trouble.

http://youtu.be/pUhm7oQG3w8

GinnyT11
12-04-2013, 01:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5_lukWYtrA

Hello Ma Baby and Jamaica Farewell in one video.

If you want a way to go crazy, try to make each of two songs in one video the way you'd really like to present them—it's the Law of Diminishing Returns squared. After a while, the first complete take looks better and better.

UkeCan1
12-04-2013, 01:22 PM
but isn't "no good" the same as bad.

Are you getting all strumserious on us now? Or would that be pickserious?

Seriously (or not), I think we should all use opposite names for this Season. Like I would be UkeCan't1. Or IkeCan't-1.

I'm thinking, like, greenpaul1, The Ukeheavies, lequieten, Sunny Wilbury (or Sunny Won'tunearth :-) ), stuff like that.

FiL would be MpT. :-)

Who's in?

UkeyDave
12-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Bad / Good

Part One: Bad Moon Rising

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wll8T5Qne8
Loved this. Is that a new Uke AND new hairdo Mirium?

strumsilly
12-04-2013, 01:32 PM

Seriously (or not), I think we should all use opposite names for this Season. Like I would be UkeCan't1. Or IkeCan't-1.

I'm thinking, like, greenpaul1, The Ukeheavies, lequieten, Sunny Wilbury (or Sunny Won'tunearth :-) ), stuff like that.

Who's in?

hA, THAT;S GREAT. i'LL BE Picksilly, one can't get too serious about this, That's why we play ukulele.

Barbablanca
12-04-2013, 01:38 PM
I guess I'll have to post as Bigote Negro then this week? (Black Moustache)

max2173
12-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Who's in?

So that makes me min3712?

lelouden
12-04-2013, 02:24 PM
:bowdown: IkeCan't-1,

And lesoften present.

My family would disagree!:smileybounce:

greyghost
12-04-2013, 02:26 PM
ColorfulLiving reporting for duty.

bonesigh
12-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Persnickety Sighbone here (: Just sayin' (CHALLENGE: Two songs with opposites in the titles.) Ukelites are good!

Rustyy
12-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Well I don't mind being Shineyy for a while, it will be nice to be polished rather than scrubbed with something abrasive

TCK
12-04-2013, 05:30 PM
My head would not let me make a video in which the songs were not somehow related, which resulted in the most boring selection of opposites I think we could get this week.
Well, that and I just did them. My way. No polish.
The songs won't even be a surprise...it is as if I was just doing what I was supposed to.
Oh well, I will get to the video- here is
Up Shit Creek Again - Tom Waits and
Sunday Morning Coming Down- Johnny Cash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2x4A2qtZUQ&feature=youtu.be

12-04-2013, 08:31 PM
"ant's eye view of my piano" just swinging by to say i'm loving this season!

Tootler
12-04-2013, 09:13 PM
:bowdown: IkeCan't-1,

And lesoften present.

My family would disagree!:smileybounce:

How about Notlerenuff? :nana:

lelouden
12-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Mabrizzer did a good job of helping us out with opposites, but just in case your still stuck the "String Beans" pulled out their uke and made this just for us:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMEIyTwuj4w

UkeCan1
12-05-2013, 03:26 AM
Mabrizzer did a good job of helping us out with opposites, but just in case your still stuck the "String Beans" pulled out their uke and made this just for us:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMEIyTwuj4w

Well, that is just brilliantly, dementedly inspiring! What a fun song and video. Got to go check out these String Beans!

I'd love to see someone do "Nowhere Man" and "Here There and Everywhere".

[Which is inspiring me to someday post "Hams Eggs and Everywhere" ... a non-uke video I made with a friend ... words to "Green Eggs and Ham" ("I would not eat them here or there, I would not eat them anywhere") to the tune of "Here There and Everywhere". I play Sam I Am. She actually eats actual green eggs and ham.]

How about Notlerenuff?
Ha! Took me a moment to get that ... it's brilliant!

"ant's eye view of my piano" just swinging by to say i'm loving this season!

Well I don't mind being Shineyy for a while, it will be nice to be polished rather than scrubbed with something abrasive

Persnickety Sighbone here!

ColorfulLiving reporting for duty.

And lesoften present. My family would disagree!

So that makes me min3712?

I guess I'll have to post as Bigote Negro then this week? (Black Moustache)

hA, THAT;S GREAT. i'LL BE Picksilly, one can't get too serious about this, That's why we play ukulele.

Love how everyone's embracing the "opposite name" challenge. What fun!

Be warned, if you post using your regular name, someone else might just have to create an opposite name for you. Which might not go as well as if you did it yourself. Just saying. Nice job on your opposite songs, Cloverdale Old Man.

- IkeCan't-1

frisbee fred
12-05-2013, 04:30 AM
Football Frieda here.

UkeyDave
12-05-2013, 04:33 AM
Be warned, if you post using your regular name, someone else might just have to create an opposite name for you.
- IkeCan't-1

OK you can call me "Double-bass Moses" then ;-)

TCK
12-05-2013, 04:33 AM
I thought something was going on there...you guys are hilarious.

KoaDependent
12-05-2013, 05:20 AM
Up Shit Creek Again - Tom Waits and
Sunday Morning Coming Down- Johnny Cash.

I hate it when I'm browsing my tablet in bed and can't watch a video right away for fear of waking up the missus. I was eager this morning to come back and listen to this, and you did not disappoint, my friend.

max2173
12-05-2013, 06:23 AM
Here's my entry. Not the first one I planned to do but I'll save the song I wrote for another week.

You Can't Hurry Love - Phil Collins (I know it was a Supremes song, but I drew from the Phil Collins version)
Waiting in Vain - Bob Marley

I have bells attached to my slipper and a real low quality webcam, but hey, I had fun!

I like that the "hurry" song is about not hurrying while the "wait" song is about not wanting to wait any longer, so they're kind of opposites in themselves!

http://youtu.be/KFOHWn4SEbI

Tootler
12-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Grounded Pteranodon Productions have been busy and with the aid of Nottlerenuff have produced for your delectation ...........

Send and Bring

Send Me Some Lovin' and
Bring It On Home To Me

http://youtu.be/Ltj7E5bqya8

I've just got a Vox Mini5 amp and have been playing with some of the effects so the video is really a combination of two separate videos rather than one continuous one as I had to stop and change settings between the two songs. Probably as well as I needed a different number of takes for the two songs.

I suppose I better stop drivelling and get this video posted. :agree:

DWitt
12-05-2013, 07:34 AM
Here's mine! The opposites here (Day/Night) aren't very exciting, but I wanted to also do two songs that had opposite sorts of "feels" to them as well, and these two worked well for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCkH06HILUc

ukuleledaddy
12-05-2013, 09:13 AM
It's been a crazy few weeks. I need a big weekend!
UkuleleMommy brings you: Big/Little
#1: Tom Petty……..
BIG Weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad8OGIEAZeo

ukuleledaddy
12-05-2013, 09:14 AM
#2: Jay & The Americans
Come A LITTLE Bit Closer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxiu61wSkxY

lelouden
12-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Grounded Pteranodon Productions have been busy and with the aid of Nottlerenuff have produced for your delectation

Well Belchler that was delectable:rock:

I hate to admit that someone is going to have to explain "Nottlerenuff" to me. I must be slow! :deadhorse:

Dougf
12-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Do I get extra points since both words in both titles are opposites? Just kidding. :) Thanks, Vince, great idea for a challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrJqzYZYe1s

Dougf
12-05-2013, 10:05 AM
And here's Factory Girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZQg7J0OpbI

Tootler
12-05-2013, 10:10 AM
I hate to admit that someone is going to have to explain "Nottlerenuff" to me. I must be slow! :deadhorse:

A bit corny really.

Tootler = Too tler (well sort of)

So Not tler enough

Belcher was a good one, though :old:

lelouden
12-05-2013, 11:56 AM
A bit corny really.

Tootler = Too tler (well sort of)

So Not tler enough

Belcher was a good one, though :old:

Lets go with Belchler! :smileybounce:

mattydee
12-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Do I get extra points since both words in both titles are opposites? Just kidding. :) Thanks, Vince, great idea for a challenge.

BONUS POINTS:

* Multiple Opposites (eg. - Good Day Sunshine & Bad Moon Rising)

Not to speak for Vince, but since he said it himself already: yep.

southside mike
12-05-2013, 02:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br3tdRTD2jI
This was quite a challenge for me this week. Thank you Vince. I decided to do Laughing by the Guess Who and Crying by Roy Orbison. Little did I know what a challenge that was going to be. First I did Crying and then Laughing. That didn't feel right so I tried Laughing first and that didn't work. then I transposed the chords for Crying because I couldn't even begin to sing it in the same key as Roy. The more I played each one the more I realized that even though the titles were opposite but the message in both songs was similar, so I tried a verse of one song and then the next verse of the other and I found that the two songs work really well when they are mixed together and that's what you have here.

bonesigh
12-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Wonderful, those do go very well together Mike (:

GinnyT11
12-05-2013, 02:43 PM
It's been a crazy few weeks. I need a big weekend!
UkuleleMommy brings you: Big/Little
#1: Tom Petty..BIG Weekend

#2: Jay & The Americans
Come A LITTLE Bit Closer

It appears you have no boundaries, Sean, and it's wonderful! When St. Peter asks if you have really lived, you can toot your kazoo and say, "You bet I have!"

GinnyT11
12-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Nature Boy, and here's Factory Girl.

Wow, Doug, what a nice combo! Vince's challenge has prompted you to venture into a different style for you, and it was great. Please try more pop songs. Good going!

vct33
12-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Greyghost

Welcome to my Nightmare & Sweet Dreams Absolutely loved it. Two songs I heard so many times when I was younger. Great playing and singing by both. Love when family and friends get involved in the seasons. Great mash up.

Jazzbanjorex

Bye Bye Blackbird & Hello Central Give Me Dr Jazz Loved this entry. Great singing and playing plus super cool props and hat. I loved the seamless transition from one song to the next.

The sillydave

I Cant Give You Anything but Love Top notch playing. I gotta learn how to work my way down the fretboard eventually. Great singing and loved the whistling.

They Cant Take that Away from Me You totally captured the Gershwinism (is that a word?) of this song. Great performance.

Rustyy

Born to Run Very nice. This is a good style for you. You sounded really good on the Uke and the vocals were sounded great.

Withered and Died Another very good performance. I really like that uke that you play. I love it when I can enjoy a song Ive never heard before.

Joko

Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly & God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen HAHA. Thats a classic. Love that you had fun with it. Ive said it before and Ill say it again, Im a sucker for Christmas songs. Great job.

Shady Wilbury

Tequilla Sunrise I really liked this. Very nice job on a great tune. And I love the guitar bed spread. :-)

Dimming of the Day Nice job. Good playing and singing on this one. You look like me if I dont have my strap on my uke. Im constantly trying to keep it from sliding away from me. Lol

The Ukelites

Bad Moon Rising Love this song. You guys knocked my socks off as usual.

Youre No Good Great song choices this week. I gotta get me one of those Ubasss. Excellent entries. I wish I had someone I could jam with. You guys have so much fun.

TCK
12-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Thanks so much mate- always happy to oblige
I hate it when I'm browsing my tablet in bed and can't watch a video right away for fear of waking up the missus. I was eager this morning to come back and listen to this, and you did not disappoint, my friend.

myrnaukelele
12-05-2013, 06:51 PM
My Opposites entries - Easy/Hard. Here's a song from 1941: Easy Street.

http://youtu.be/Mkh7RgEE8n8

myrnaukelele
12-05-2013, 06:52 PM
And this is Long Hard Road - a hit for the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band in 1984.

http://youtu.be/_OvDumk42X0
And just for this week I'll post as maureenkelly.

12-05-2013, 08:45 PM
oh wow lots of great new vids since i was last on here... loving everyone's songs

cannot get the youtube comments section to load at all for ANYONE, so i'm just gonna say a couple of things here...

Tootler - love both your songs and your electric uke sounds super, as per

DWitt - lovely delicate touch on both those songs, really loved them

myrnaukelele - love both your songs but the sweet baritone tones on the second were extra super duper lovely

ukulelemommy - impressive singing and playing. impressive padding :eek:

peewee
12-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Here is a pair of apposite songs for opposite week. It's a first take medley, no time for retakes this week!
Song 1: Brian Eno "The Fat Lady of Limbourg" (http://youtu.be/bHTgHussKDM), Song 2: Bob Dylan "Ballad of a Thin Man" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwtXRW-Aa_s)
Eno/Dylan, Fat/Thin, Lady/Man
add no talent and little preparation to the mix, and it's sure to be an entertaining 8:29 (!!!)
http://youtu.be/uspp_4086k4

http://youtu.be/uspp_4086k4

thanks for getting me to attempt the fat lady tune, I've had my eye on that one for a while.
thanks/no thanks

UkeyDave
12-05-2013, 10:56 PM
oh wow lots of great new vids since i was last on here... loving everyone's songs

cannot get the youtube comments section to load at all for ANYONE, so i'm just gonna say a couple of things here...

:agree: Me neither. I'm just sick to the back teeth of You Tube. I seem to be in a never ending circle of link unlink google plus. CONFUSED doesn't even come close. They seem to be on a mission to make everyone appear as DUMB as possible. :mad::deadhorse:

Tootler
12-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Lets go with Belchler! :smileybounce:

Hic!

Burp!

Er........OK :old:

12-05-2013, 11:16 PM
peewee - gah, still cannot comment over on youtube - you vid was brill, your uke sounded exceptionally sweet, and super extra well done to you (and everyone else who is managing it) for getting two songs in one take. AMAZING

:agree: Me neither. I'm just sick to the back teeth of You Tube. I seem to be in a never ending circle of link unlink google plus. CONFUSED doesn't even come close. They seem to be on a mission to make everyone appear as DUMB as possible. :mad::deadhorse:
i know. it's outrageous. i don't even need any help to look stupid, what a waste of resources

Barbablanca
12-06-2013, 04:12 AM
Hi Guys my opposite pairs are two originals of mine written a few years back

Setting Out / Going Back

Here is the first one:
http://youtu.be/zW0pXaKmaag

I have had a bloody awful cold recently so my voice is a bit gruff on this one. I've also had to use a plectrum on both because I cut the top of my middle finger on my picking hand with a razor blade the other day. Long story...

As usual, the lyrics can be found in the description on YouTube.

Barbablanca
12-06-2013, 04:12 AM
And here is the other one:

http://youtu.be/3DjDJf1xmmo

Jazzbanjorex
12-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Well we're snowed in here in Oklahoma so I get to catch up on everyone's Opposite videos.Yeah!

I think SillyDave is getting it worse than us.

UkeCan1
12-06-2013, 12:49 PM
UkuleleMommy, first of all, kudos on taking the opposite-name game to a whole new level by actually dressing the part!

Second, I was going to respond to your video query about how we female ukers manage to play with convex chest parts, thusly:
1) The uke does not hang there - it's lower.
2) Others' mileage may vary, but mine are not as big as yours.

But then I tested it, and discovered that #1 is not in fact true, at least for me. The uke goes exactly there. It presses right into the right one. And size notwithstanding, it actually does get in the way. And I'm realizing it has been awkward for me to find a good, comfortable, functional way to hold a uke, and that this is in fact part (possibly most, or even all) of the problem!

So I learned something today. And I would very much love to hear from other female ukers (privately if you are not as brazen as I to post publicly about our lady parts challenges):

How exactly do you manage to hold and play a uke optimally with a female body?!

Thanks to Sean for revealing the problem, and in advance to anyone who dares to offer help or otherwise engage in this completely off-topic (and possibly useful to "us" and titillating to "them") conversation. Happy to take it to a whole new thread if deemed appropriate ... just tell me where!

- Wendy

mattydee
12-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Ginny was right. Trying to both in a single take really diminishes those returns. But I got one, and it'll have to do, as I'm going out of town this weekend and lose what would have normally been two days of practice before recording. Ah well. Both of these will likely go into the rotation, though, so there's that. I heard the first one on the radio on Tuesday and immediately knew what my entry would be.

Fast Car by Tracy Chapman and On A Slow Boat To China by Frank Loesser.

http://youtu.be/5fosZmWP4do

Jazzbanjorex
12-06-2013, 03:47 PM
UkuleleMommy, first of all, kudos on taking the opposite-name game to a whole new level by actually dressing the part!

Second, I was going to respond to your video query about how we female ukers manage to play with convex chest parts, thusly:

But then I tested it, and discovered that #1 is not in fact true, at least for me. The uke goes exactly there. It presses right into the right one. And size notwithstanding, it actually does get in the way. And I'm realizing it has been awkward for me to find a good, comfortable, functional way to hold a uke, and that this is in fact part (possibly most, or even all) of the problem!

So I learned something today. And I would very much love to hear from other female ukers (privately if you are not as brazen as I to post publicly about our lady parts challenges):

Thanks to Sean for revealing the problem, and in advance to anyone who dares to offer help or otherwise engage in this completely off-topic (and possibly useful to "us" and titillating to "them") conversation. Happy to take it to a whole new thread if deemed appropriate ... just tell me where!

- Wendy

Just be glad were not accordion players.

lelouden
12-06-2013, 04:23 PM

UkeCan't1, Whhhhell I am shocked!!!!!!

Funny, on one of my vids my daughter said "Mom your boob is resting in the curve of your Uke"......She has a good imagination!:biglaugh:

I for one use a strap because my forearm trying to keep the uke up makes me feel like I can't catch my breath. Much like a corset affect.

OMG I think milk just shot out my nose!:smileybounce:

UkeCan1
12-06-2013, 05:22 PM

Oh, Rex, now I love you even more! And ouch. Indeed, how do they do it?!

UkeCan't1, Whhhhell I am shocked!!!!!!

Funny, on one of my vids my daughter said "Mom your boob is resting in the curve of your Uke"......She has a good imagination!

I for one use a strap because my forearm trying to keep the uke up makes me feel like I can't catch my breath. Much like a corset affect.

I do use a strap. Wait, we're talking uke strap, right? :-) I don't know how anyone plays without one. It's like trying to hold a watermelon in place otherwise - how can you play something that is slipping all over the place?! I have a hard enough time when it's still.

I could rest the uke below the obstructing body part, but then my right arm is just not where it needs to be. Which is supporting the base of the uke, so it doesn't do the watermelon dance. My strap attaches in the middle of the uke. I wonder if I attached it at the base if I might be able to free the arm from its supporting role? Is that what you're talking about, Ms. Quieten? Must go watch your videos more closely....

Mine is a pineapple uke, so no (concave) curve. (Pineapple on pineapple?) Okay, now even I'm shocked. And I started it! No wait, Sean did....

I wonder what Vince will think of the turn his theme has taken? it's all because of the opposites morphing UkeDaddy into UkeMommy....

Which was also my fault.

TCK
12-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Some of us are that, but trying to teach the misses the pump was a DISASTER. She is far happier with the less ungainly Ukulele

UkeCan1
12-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Some of us are that, but trying to teach the misses the pump was a DISASTER. She is far happier with the less ungainly Ukulele

Again, just, ouch.

TCK
12-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Yeah- one night I had a few too many cocktails and far to little pants...well, you know the rest.
Again, just, ouch.

lelouden
12-06-2013, 06:50 PM
I wonder if I attached it at the base if I might be able to free the arm from its supporting role?

Excuse me Mamma, :biglaugh: I suggest you go to Dillard's or Nordstrom's for a fitting!...Hahaha

I have a button attached at the under side of the neck. I have tried a strap up by the pegs but it forces the uke to push under your arm like a shotgun effect ( yes I know thats not how to hold a shotgun either) but you get the picture. Maybe you should try holding it more toward the center of your chest. Take a look at ktschp and how he holds his flea.

Otherwise Mamma, maybe you should put a Kala Travel thin body Uke on your christmas list:)

lelouden
12-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Maybe someday a women will design a Uke with a whole in the back!:anyone:

uke4ia
12-06-2013, 07:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KGWtOQ7fcw

I've got a bad head cold. I was lucky to get in complete takes of both songs before I lost all my high notes. And then Firefox took over 7 hours to load this video to YouTube. (All part of Google/YouTube's evil plot to make me get Google Chrome.) But I got the songs done. This is "Goodnight, Mr. Matthews" by Icehouse and "Good Days Bad Days" by Kaiser Chiefs.

ukuleledaddy
12-06-2013, 07:09 PM

- Wendy
Wow, look what happened.
First of all, I had no idea that more than like two people ever watched my vids. And B) I'm glad to have sparked off such colorful discussion. And, I'm happy to know that my little quip didn't offend anyone. The fact that I called your lady parts "things", well, you can understand why I never did very well with the girls in high school.
I'm also very impressed that you answered my question so thoroughly, and even ran your own personal test to come up with the best possible answer. For me, the moment I tried to play my uke while wearing a bra, it was an instant hurdle, a bump in the road,a .. well you get the picture.

Best laugh I've had all week.

ukuleledaddy
12-06-2013, 07:11 PM

The "Boobulele"

lelouden
12-06-2013, 07:30 PM
The "Boobulele"

Hahaha great name, great design. Now all we need is a prototype! Ukulelemommy and UkeCan't1 seriously need to get started on this one!

southside mike
12-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Yeah the boobulele in C cup tuning!

mythinformed
12-06-2013, 08:32 PM
And people wonder why us middle aged blokes have inflated 'beer bellies'/paunches ..........'tis purposely grown for the uke to comfortably rest on !! :)

RichM
12-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Okay, I should NOT be doing this at 1AM, but I got this brainstorm, quickly learned the two songs, and now it belongs to the ages. Enjoy... if, in fact, that's the right word. :)

http://youtu.be/DkBQViHwT8o

12-06-2013, 09:29 PM
just a quick post to say - there are comments i want to respond to over on youtube but youtube is not letting me - so i just wanna say to everyone who takes the time to comment on my vids on youtube, thank you, and i wanna say something nice back but i can't!

lelouden
12-06-2013, 09:37 PM
just a quick post to say - there are comments i want to respond to over on youtube but youtube is not letting me - so i just wanna say to everyone who takes the time to comment on my vids on youtube, thank you, and i wanna say something nice back but i can't!

BEV are you having this problem because your not signed in to youtube and/or don't want to be linked to Google+. I finally gave in and let my youtube and google+ connect together and all those problems went away. I really did not want mine connected but its really not bad.

Tootler
12-06-2013, 09:45 PM
BEV are you having this problem because your not signed in to youtube and/or don't want to be linked to Google+. I finally gave in and let my youtube and google+ connect together and all those problems went away. I really did not want mine connected but its really not bad.

Also is your browser set to reject all cookies? I have Firefox set only to accept cookies from sites
I've visited. Not perfect, maybe but I need some sort of cookie acceptance so I can access my bank.

12-06-2013, 10:57 PM
thank you guys for posting about this. yes i'm signed in, yes i'm linked to google+, and yes i accept cookies. sometimes i go on youtube and i can comment fine, other times i need to reload the video page a few times before the comments section even shows, other times the comments section never shows (or i give up keeping on re-loading the page out of acute boredom) - when the comments page does show, sometimes i comment and it goes straight up, other times it says process failed try again, and i do, and the comment loads ok, other times the comment simply will never go through. so, the variability of what happens cannot, i assume, means that it's down to any of my settings...

oh the internet, what sweet mystery you are, helping us develop patience and acceptance and sending us on long and fascinating journeys of learning.

NOT

UkeyDave
12-07-2013, 02:55 AM
Okay, I should NOT be doing this at 1AM, but I got this brainstorm, quickly learned the two songs, and now it belongs to the ages. Enjoy... if, in fact, that's the right word. :)

http://youtu.be/DkBQViHwT8o
This is great Rich. Really enjoyed it and I love your train of thought here.

mythinformed
12-07-2013, 06:24 AM
Sorry Vince, pulled the plug on my vid, the quality and interference made it barely audible.(which may not have been such a bad thing). Lol
Great theme mate and a true challenge !!

12-07-2013, 06:35 AM
mark that was lovely - but we love your dulcet tones!

mythinformed
12-07-2013, 06:49 AM
mark that was lovely - but we love your dulcet tones!
Believe me, any attempt at me singing a Karen Carpenter song will leave you needing counselling..............for life !! Lol

UkeCan1
12-07-2013, 07:24 AM
Wow, look what happened.
First of all, I had no idea that more than like two people ever watched my vids. And B) I'm glad to have sparked off such colorful discussion. And, I'm happy to know that my little quip didn't offend anyone. The fact that I called your lady parts "things", well, you can understand why I never did very well with the girls in high school.
I'm also very impressed that you answered my question so thoroughly, and even ran your own personal test to come up with the best possible answer. For me, the moment I tried to play my uke while wearing a bra, it was an instant hurdle, a bump in the road,a .. well you get the picture.

Yeah, well, you see, that's exactly the point, ain't it?! Unlike me, you have experience playing without boobs in the way. So you noticed the problem immediately. Whereas, until you asked, it hadn't occurred to me why I've been having such a devil of a time figuring out how to hold this blasted instrument!

And I can't speak for anyone else, but I was not offended ... I laughed out loud! And promptly set about to prove you wrong. Only it turned out it was me that was wrong, and now I am on a quest to fix the problem you uncovered. (Did I say "uncovered"? Put that dress back on!)

Maybe someday a women will design a Uke with a hole in the back!:anyone:

How would that sound?

Excuse me Mamma, :biglaugh: I suggest you go to Dillard's or Nordstrom's for a fitting!...Hahaha

Nordstrom's fits ukes?! What a great idea.

I have a button attached at the under side of the neck. I have tried a strap up by the pegs but it forces the uke to push under your arm like a shotgun effect ( yes I know thats not how to hold a shotgun either) but you get the picture. Maybe you should try holding it more toward the center of your chest. Take a look at ktschp and how he holds his flea.

I watched your videos ... it's looks like your strap is secured at center and base of uke, and you wear it round your neck. Mine is almost opposite ... center and top (above pegs), and I put my right arm and head through it. I checked out ktschp's videos, but I don't see a Flea in any of them ... can you point me to a specific video, maybe?

I've long been planning to move the center tie to the base, but because it's a Flea, and I don't want to give up its best feature, being able to stand her up on her beautiful flat butt, I think I need to add some Velcro to the sides or something. Time to get to it, maybe.

Otherwise Mamma, maybe you should put a Kala Travel thin body Uke on your christmas list:)

Is that the current closest thing to a Boobulele? Must look into it....

Yeah- one night I had a few too many cocktails and far to little pants...well, you know the rest.

Mama had a squeezebox? Oh, I'm so sorry ... but you went there first!

cua94
12-07-2013, 07:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaQn0-ojTz4

Here is my 2, Bye Bye Love and Hello Dolly. Sorry about the loud rain in the second song, I ran out of time and this was the best one I could post.

Great theme, really made me stretch a bit (I did bar chords!)

Liz S.

lelouden
12-07-2013, 07:54 AM
More From the dressing room at Nordstrom's;

I awoke with an epiphany! They've already designed the Boobelele! Like always...every good idea I have has already been done! Here is a pic for you. You see there is a spot for your right "thing" :)
The Flying V Mahalo Ukelele

The Kala Travel thin body puts less compression from your forearm:2cents:

lelouden
12-07-2013, 08:07 AM
here is a vid of ktschp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw1vVBfVlYc

He doesn't carry it directly in the center of his chest but it is away from his armpit. Still he has the advantage of no "thingies"!

I think it is Uncle Raggy that wears a name tag around his neck and suggests putting a sticky velcro on the back of the name tag plastic and on the back of the uke. That would put your uke right in the center of your "thingies"

:smileybounce:

ukuleledaddy
12-07-2013, 08:37 AM

I awoke with an epiphany! They've already designed the Boobelele! Like always...every good idea I have has already been done! Here is a pic for you. You see there is a spot for your right "thing" :)

That is cool! Putting that on my Christmas list (for future vids in which I once again don my wife's clothing).

Jazzbanjorex
12-07-2013, 09:27 AM

Or one could also play a banjolele with the resonator (back) removed?

Stephen Reed
12-07-2013, 09:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMDGWMBMo-A

94th. Season of the Ukulele-Opposites

UkeCan1
12-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Okay, I came up with the perfect thread title, so I had to do it. It's over in "Uke Talk":
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?90328-Playing-with-Boobs

Have at it.

- Wendy, Sue and Sue (yeah, they have names - don't yours?)

ukuleledaddy
12-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Okay, I came up with the perfect thread title, so I had to do it. It's over in "Uke Talk":

Have at it.

Oh my. I love it!

lelouden
12-07-2013, 10:40 AM

Weird I was sure the were called UkeCan1 and UkeCan't2. (Sorry FiL) :biglaugh:

Tootler
12-07-2013, 11:59 AM
here is a vid of ktschp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw1vVBfVlYc

He doesn't carry it directly in the center of his chest but it is away from his armpit. Still he has the advantage of no "thingies"!

I think it is Uncle Raggy that wears a name tag around his neck and suggests putting a sticky velcro on the back of the name tag plastic and on the back of the uke. That would put your uke right in the center of your "thingies"

:smileybounce:

I stick a little square of velcro in the centre of the back of my ukes (hooky side) but that's to stop them slipping and, anyway, I don't have "thingies" in my anatomy either. I have wondered about putting the loopy side on a name tag loop but all the name tags I have have a hard steel loop at the end and I haven't a pair of cutters strong enough to remove them so I haven't tried it. With the concert and tenor ukes I use a uke leash.

Slightly OT, my granddaughter calls a bra a "boob holder".

decaturcomp
12-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Some of us gennilmens may need to drop by for hints, too. Just sayin'.
Also, playing with boobs is the name of my band of horses cover band (of horses).

Have at it.

decaturcomp
12-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Too little too late. In fact I ran out of video space before the end but the World will not long remember what we say here today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnFtP4alw9U
I spent the first half of the week thinking there were supposed to be contradictions inside of each title and then the two titles should contradict each other.
When my head cleared, I realized that what I had was not on the mark.
Then I was blocked for a couple of days and this is the only thing I've been able to put together, so...I'm off to have a much better time listening to other Seasonistas' well planned sets.

bonesigh
12-07-2013, 05:37 PM
These are great! Mine are going to be fast and slow too but nothing like yours (: Great job!

Ginny was right. Trying to both in a single take really diminishes those returns. But I got one, and it'll have to do, as I'm going out of town this weekend and lose what would have normally been two days of practice before recording. Ah well. Both of these will likely go into the rotation, though, so there's that. I heard the first one on the radio on Tuesday and immediately knew what my entry would be.

Fast Car by Tracy Chapman and On A Slow Boat To China by Frank Loesser.

http://youtu.be/5fosZmWP4do

bonesigh
12-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Good one! ♥it!

Weird I was sure the were called UkeCan1 and UkeCan't2. (Sorry FiL) :biglaugh:

cinderellalifestyle
12-07-2013, 10:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ_bWQ-VIVE&feature=share&list=UUiAuT6D8JMwP4596MYBnP_g

cinderellalifestyle
12-07-2013, 10:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuFvkOKqo4I&feature=share&list=UUiAuT6D8JMwP4596MYBnP_g&index=1

redpaul1
12-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Maybe someday a woman will design a Uke with a whole in the back!:anyone:

Like this?

http://users.vcnet.com/rrenshaw/uke-1x.jpg

mythinformed
12-07-2013, 11:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ_bWQ-VIVE&feature=share&list=UUiAuT6D8JMwP4596MYBnP_g

Wow lovin' your ukin' style and vocals (on both your entries) ..........very original in 'ukeland' and a pleasure to listen to!!

Barbablanca
12-08-2013, 02:18 AM

I once played a 3000 guitar in a local shop. It was a single piece (neck and body) had two jack outputs so you could get an acoustic and an electric sound simultaneously - but most curiously it had a moulded concave back. I asked the dealer what that was for. He replied: "This is not the price range for a young man setting out in the world. It's aimed at guys like you in your fifties. And most of you have got a gut sticking out front. This fits perfectly into the average beer belly!" And it did. Design genius. However, I'm still an anti-materialist hippy, at heart, who has never earned the kind of bucks that would have led me to walk out of the shop with a 3000 guitar. So, it was back to ukes ;)

vct33
12-08-2013, 06:02 AM
Ginny

Hello Ma Baby & Jamaica Farewell Great entries Ginny. You played and sang lovely on both songs. I loved the hat change and the tempo change. Super job.

TCK

Up Shit Creek Again Wow. You perform this song like you could have written yourself and have been playing it for 30 years. Fantastic.

Sunday Morning Coming Down Great job. Another song that just seems like its engrained in your DNA. So effortless in your delivery.

Max2173

You Cant Hurry Love Great song. I really like the section in the middle when you were just chunking the strings and singing over it. Nice job.

Waiting in Vain Awesome. This song is in your wheelhouse. The Mainland uke sounds great (gotta get me one) and then you throw the harmonica at us and turn it to gold.

Tootler

Send Me Some Lovin Very nice. I love that I keep getting harmonica from you guys. I have to try and learn to play it someday. Great entry.

Bring it on Home to Me Love me some Sam Cooke. Great performance on a great tune. You really rock on that Risa. Nice job.

DWitt

All Day Today Another instance of me not knowing a song and getting hooked by it because of a great delivery. Superb.

The Night Terrific fingerstyle playing and singing on this. Great week for you.

Ukuleledaddy

Big Weekend Oh you silly silly fella. :-) Great job. Love the humor, the playing, the singing, the whistling and the kazoo. You left no stone unturned.

Come a Little Bit Closer Where did you get the custom kazoo holder anyway? Lol. Great job on a song that I really like.

Dougf

Nature Boy As usual, I love it. Id buy your album if you made one.

Factory Girl Brilliant playing and singing. Thanks for two great songs this week.

Southside mike

Laughing & Crying First I have to say that this is a beautiful sounding instrument. Ok, this is a first rate mash up of two great songs. You especially nail the Roy song. Big kudos this week.

Myrnaukulele

Easy Street This is such a charming performance. I admire the ease with which you play and the personality you bring to every song.

Long Hard Road Great job showing the range of styles that you can cover. Very nice.

Peewee

The Fat Lady of Limbourg & Ballad of a Thin Man Superb playing. I think you stepped up to the challenge and nailed it. I think you doing this all in one take is fantastic. The few hiccups along the way just add character to the overall performance. Great job.

Barbablanca

Setting Out That 8-string sounds incredible. You are so talented to be able to write and play and sing. A true triple threat. Terrific song.

Going Back I wish I could sit and listen to you at an open mic night somewhere. Fantastic combination of originals this week. Thank you.

Mattydee

Fast Car & Slow Boat to China Oh my gosh, you nailed Fast Car. I love Tracy Chapman. Great job. Splendid playing and singing on Slow Boat. I didnt know you were such an accomplished horn player. Very creative opposites.

Uke4ia

Goodnight Mr Matthews & Good Days Bad Days I didnt know either song and I really got into both. Thanks for fighting through your cold and google conspiracy to bring us two outstanding performances.

UkeyDave
12-08-2013, 07:09 AM

Have at it.

A thread about playing with boobs sounds just perfect to me. Oh - you mean THAT type of playing. Oooops sorry.

mythinformed
12-08-2013, 09:21 AM
I've noticed that no blokes have come forward with 'Moob' (manboob) Issues while playing ???? Lol

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
12-08-2013, 10:54 AM
I have finally got here with mine, bit late to the party I know, sorry ;^)
It's a bit rough and ready as I have been really busy, out nearly every night [twice to Open mics, one with Uke one with Harmonica] so had little time to practice properly, and now I have got a cold so can't sing well [some would say I can't sing well anyway].
I took two songs, one with RAINbow and one with SUNshine in the title and as it said one continuous take I played them together [sort of].

http://youtu.be/naTkz12OXAQ

I don't know why the audio/video are out of synch this week. basically the whole thing is not up to standard is it? :^(

UkeCan1
12-08-2013, 10:57 AM
I've noticed that no blokes have come forward with 'Moob' (manboob) Issues while playing ???? Lol

They have, on the "Playing with Boobs" thread: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?90328-Playing-with-Boobs

Which has been immensely helpful (and hilarious!), as has this one. I think I'm close to perfecting my solution.

- Wendy

FiL
12-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the rare and dangerous Quadruple Opposite!

"Here Comes Your Man" (The Pixies) / "There Goes My Baby" (The Drifters).

Here/There, Comes/Goes, Your/My, and Man/Baby. (Yes, that last one is debatable, but work with me, people!)

http://youtu.be/HYge-74dD7Y

I didn't have much time for a video this week, so I'm not even pretending to do these songs from memory.

- FiL

UkeCan1
12-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the rare and dangerous Quadruple Opposite!

"Here Comes Your Man" (The Pixies) / "There Goes My Baby" (The Drifters).
Here/There, Comes/Goes, Your/My, and Man/Baby. (Yes, that last one is debatable, but work with me, people!)

- FiL

You did it! And you beat me by minutes (coming momentarily). There needs to be a bonus prize for quadruple opposites ... only about 3 or 4 of us have even attempted a double. These work really well together!

- Wendy

UkeCan1
12-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Well, FiL's quadruple opposite has taken some of the steam out of my pride at (almost) mastering a lovely double: "I Will" and "You Won't".

Here's "I Will", by the Beatles. I've been working on this song for about two and a half months now ... almost since I started playing. I finally have it memorized enough to attempt a video.

http://youtu.be/T0Kkv03dDag

- Wendy

UkeCan1
12-08-2013, 02:19 PM
And here's "You Won't". I love how these themes lead us to discoveries we'd never have made any other way. This is one. (Thanks, Vince!)

To find a double opposite for "I Will", I googled "You Won't song". I couldn't find one called "You Won't", but instead I happened upon this lovely gem of a country song, "You Won't Ever Be Lonely" by Andy Griggs (who I'd never heard of either), from 1999. As FiL says (he loves it too, and has been playing it with me ... which I'd hoped might happen ... more his wheelhouse than mine), it doesn't sound very country when I do it (unlike FiL, I do not sing with a New Jersey southern twang, or a banjo uke), but it's a beautiful song either way.

I attempted it because it seemed easy enough ... not too many words, and only 4 chords - G, Em, C, D ... even I can handle that. Except I can't, apparently. Because I just can't leave well enough alone. I heard more chords in my head, so I added 5 more - Gsus2, Em9, Cmaj7, D6, D7 (2224). Which made it a very hard song for me to learn to play. The words turned out to take forever to remember too! But, now I have a beautiful new song in my repertoire.

Thanks 50 billion to JazzBanjoRex for the many messages of advice he gave me on how to make the Gsus2 -> Em -> Em9 transitions. I tried about 5 different sets of fingerings, and in the end, I went back to the common ones. My new uke strap setup, thanks to my sudden boob enlightenment and everyone here's help with that, made it a whole lot easier to do that!

http://youtu.be/efM1Usc2-bY

Now to get back to my regularly scheduled life!!!!

- Wendy

bonesigh
12-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Here's my first one (: Song I wrote way before I'd even heard of Jake's Crazy G. Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opukfIsISFE

bonesigh
12-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Here's my second one to make my choice fast/slow. Wrote this one for this season. Again, I hope you enjoy (:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-4R7-MfV1w

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
12-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Blew a chord in both songs, and forgot one of the best lines in the second song, but I made it through two in a row after less than ten takes. Woohoo. Here's Nick Lowe's "(What's So Funny Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding" and the Clash's "Hate and War".

http://youtu.be/Fle8iFEVWi0

Great challenge, vct33. I'm looking forward to enjoying the whole playlist as I write final exams this weekend. (Wish my students luck, please.)

UkeCan1
12-08-2013, 02:49 PM
After I wrote this post, I made a video of it, which you can see here (http://youtu.be/xVkpu7UdlkA).

http://youtu.be/xVkpu7UdlkA

Thanks infinitely to everyone here and on the Playing with Boobs (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?90328-Playing-with-Boobs) thread for my new uke strap configuration, which now holds the uke stationary in a reasonably comfortable, playable location, without need for support from my arms and hands. This has made it so much easier to play the thing. I am especially grateful to UkeMommy/Daddy/Sean for opening my eyes to the problem, without which I might never have gotten here. Truly. Transformational.

I think you can see in the videos pretty well what I did, but here's an explanation, because it might not be completely obvious. I now have two straps on my uke.

Previously I had one strap, attached behind where the body meets the neck (the Flea has a tiny plastic loop there, to which I attached a small loop of string to tie the strap to ... because the plastic loop was too small to thread the strap through). The other end was attached to the head, at the very end beyond the pegs. I put my right arm and head through the strap, partly because I have a hard time with things hanging directly on my neck, and partly because that made it sit better and be more stable and in a better location. But it sat much too far right, and required pressure and stabilization from my right forearm, and a bit from my left hand, which made it challenging to play.

I longed for a strap attached near the base of the uke, but there was no place to attach one there.

Yesterday, I added some Velcro near the base (at the very bottom of the upper side of the uke ... not under the base, because I don't want to give up the Flea's best feature - her flat bottom on which she stands upright!). And I moved the strap from middle and head to middle and base. I found it still worked best to put my right arm through it as well as my head. That worked a bit better, and enabled me to place the uke below the conflicting body part, and to free my right arm from support duty. But the uke still was not stationary.

So today I added the second strap. This one attaches at head and base. So I have two - middle to base, and head to base. I put right arm and head through both. And that works amazingly well. The uke is stable and stationary without any help from either arm or hand. Which leaves them free to play the blasted thing. And I can put the uke exactly where I want it. At the moment, it's still a bit high ... still pressing against the bottom of the right boob a bit. I may experiment with lowering it a bit more. But the most important location issue seems to me to be having it in a natural place and position for playing ... that is, the arms and hands need to function optimally.

So I'll keep experimenting to get it exactly right. But I'm really pleased with the results so far. Which you can see in the two videos I made tonight, http://youtu.be/T0Kkv03dDag ("I Will") and http://youtu.be/efM1Usc2-bY ("You Won't").

So thanks again to everyone for both the entertainment value of this fun conversation, and especially for the actual useful support (pun intended) I got for my boobs and uke. So much better now!

- Wendy, Sue and Sue, and Tiki Uki

UkeCan1
12-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Here's Nick Lowe's "(What's So Funny Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding" and the Clash's "Hate and War".

Nick Lowe played "Peace, Love, and Understanding" on "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" this weekend - did you hear it? And a really great Christmas song. And on "Not My Job" they gave him one question each on peace, love, and understanding.

librainian
12-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Entry one for this week is "Hold On" with apologies to the Alabama Shakes.

This song was recorded in one continuous take with no multi-tracking. I used my Cordoba TM-CE Tenor Ukulele and DM1 running on an iPad for a basic percussion track. Both the ukulele and the ipad are patched through my Mustang 1 amp and recorded using a Flip UltraHD video camera with an external Zoom H2 portable microphone and mixed in Magix Movie Edit Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2h4xwBz3gU

librainian
12-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Entry Two for this week is "Let Go" by Tyrone Wells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RQVXqd0ZPA

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
12-08-2013, 05:03 PM
Nick Lowe played "Peace, Love, and Understanding" on "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" this weekend - did you hear it? And a really great Christmas song. And on "Not My Job" they gave him one question each on peace, love, and understanding.

I missed "Wait Wait", but I heard Lowe on "Prairie Home Companion"---he played a great, new Christmas song there as well. I'll check out the "Wait Wait" podcast if I get the chance; thanks for the heads up.

ukuleledaddy
12-08-2013, 07:50 PM
I am especially grateful to UkeMommy/Daddy/Sean for opening my eyes to the problem, without which I might never have gotten here. Truly. Transformational.

Wow. I can't tell you how honored I am that I have played an unwitting part in sparking what just might turn into a full blown uke revolution for the those of you/us with boobs. UkuleleMommy may just make a return to the small screen, however disturbing that was for some of you gents, and sporting the incredible new "duel strap" design created by the lovely UkeCan1. Today, the duel strap. Tomorrow, the Boobulele. People, I can feel it (so to speak), we are going places!!!!

thunderflea
12-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Last minute entry: Sunny vs. Stormy
Lots of mistakes and an yucky impromptu whistle solo I shouldn't have thrown in.
No time to do another take. It's still uploading...

http://youtu.be/Wf9N6J0yjiI

I had so much fun trying to come up with the perfect opposites that had a hard time narrowing it down to two songs.
Other ones I was thinking of doing:

Touch Me (Doors) vs. Keep Your Hands to Yourself
Peace Frog vs. War Pigs
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road vs. Purple Haze
Little Red Riding Hood vs. Jolly Green Giant
10th Avenue Freeze Out vs. I'll Melt With You
Sunshine of your Love vs. Moonglow
Back Door Man vs. Eminence Front
Manic Depression vs. Happiness is a Warm Gun

vct33
12-09-2013, 02:32 AM
Ok, that's a wrap. I had a weird week last week but comments will be posted on all vids and winners will be announced by Tuesday evening.

bonesigh
12-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Thunderflea, I thought both your songs were very good. I liked the echoy effect with them too. My other choice this week was Spongbob's "Best Day Ever" and
"Bad Day" by Daniel Powter. But ultimately went with some originals. Thanks for posting (:

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
12-10-2013, 09:03 AM
hmm I seemed to have missed the cut for the playlist :^((
I didn't think it was that bad.

vct33
12-10-2013, 02:15 PM
RichM

Common People & Royals – Very cool mash up and interesting opposites. Great job on a late nite (early morning) performance. :-) Excellent singing and playing.

cua94

Bye Bye Love & Hello Dolly – Love me some Everly Brothers. Good song choices and great performance. Nice job on those barre chords. I’m not tackling those yet.

Stephen Reed

Early Morning Rain & Twilight Time – Very, very nice. You are much braver than me taking on the Platters but I liked it a lot. Well done. Great playing on a nice sounding uke.

Decaturcomp

Just Walk Away Renee & Stay Just a Little Bit Longer – Great song choices. I really liked them both. Amazing job playing the uke with the capo. It sounded awesome. Nice vocals and all around good performance.

Cinderellalifestyle

Life is a Dance – Are you kidding me? That was phenomenal. I’m sorta speechless.

Death is Only a Dream – Ok, this is very nice but I haven’t recovered from your original song yet. You have a new fan.

Lumpy Waffesquirt

Bring Me Sunshine & Over the Rainbow – Nice, smooth mash up of two quite different song. I think you did a great job playing and singing and not missing a beat in the transitions. Nice.

FiL

Here Comes Your Man & There Goes My Baby – Haha. Very ambitious opposites here. Kudos. I really like the banjolele (is that right?). These songs worked well together and your performance brought ‘em home.

UkeCan1

I will – Wonderful job. Great playing and singing on a song that you clearly enjoy a lot. That’s a cool little uke you got there as well.

You Won’t Ever be Lonely – Great song. I disagree with you saying this isn’t in your wheelhouse. I thought you nailed it. Two super performances. Nice double opposite!

Bonsigh

Gee Whizz – Dazzling finger style. The harmonics at the 12th and 7th frets gave me chills. Thanks for the humor at the end also. Cool uke by the way.

Slow Me Down – We have a bunch of talented song writers around here. Great playing and singing on an excellent song. Awww, love the kitty cat too.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters

Peace, Love and Understanding & Hate and War – As always I really dig your style. I think you were the first seasonista I subscribed to on youtube when I joined. I especially enjoyed you on the uptempo Clash tune. Excellent.

Librainian

Hold On – Wow, you can really play. Watching some of you guys makes me realize how much I have to learn. Fantastic performance.

Let Go – This song was perfect for you. Brilliant delivery. Great singing and playing on another song I’m gonna have to go check out.

Thunderflea

Sunny & Stormy – Very cool opposites. Sunny sounded like it could have been written for uke with you playing. Some killer vocals on Stormy. What a nice finale for the week.

vct33
12-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks to all that submitted entries this week. My decision is so much harder than I anticipated. I've decided to go American Idol style and name a top 12 while I deliberate. So in no particular order, my top 12:

MyrnaUkulele
DougF
TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
BirdsEyeViewOfMyUkulele
Frisbee Fred
Strumsilly
MattyDee
Barbablanca
Cinderellalifestyle
TCK
TheUkulites
The Silly Dave

12-10-2013, 08:35 PM
oh vct33 - crank up the excitement, why don't you?! lol!

(*noting down the fab idea of posting shortlist like that, ready for when i have to start making the very very hard decisions!*)

bonesigh
12-11-2013, 04:18 AM
One of the things that's kept me from hosting is having to pick a winner! Good luck to the top 12!!

vct33
12-11-2013, 08:09 AM
OK, I sequestered myself for the last 15 hours and 12 minutes so that I could make my decision.

Before I get to the winners, I have a few songs that deserve special mention. There were two original songs this week that really blew my mind and I must point them out. Any seasonista that didn't get a chance to view the entire playlist must take time to watch these two performances.

barbablanca and his original tune "Setting Out"

cinderellalifestyler with her original "Life is a Dance"

Both of these songs were outstanding and I'd buy both of them on iTunes today if they were available.

And while my contest was for a two-song entry, I have to point out one other single performance that I thought was extra-special.

Myrnaukulele's performance of Easy Street really reached me and I thought it was splendid.

Ok, enough is enough and so without further gilding of the lily and with no more ado, I present this weeks winners.

BirdsEyeViewOfMyUkulele AND TCK

Congrats to both of you. You both hit homeruns with both of your songs and I couldn't be happier with my winners. You stood out among a sea of great entries.

Please PM your mailing addresses to me so I can send you your prize which is a rhythm ring:

Thanks to everyone who participated and thanks for keeping it clean and not talking about boobs. :p

mythinformed
12-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Well done winners, Birds Eye and TCK. I've participated as a listener this season and theres been some great entries.
Fantastic challenge set by our host too so thank you Vince.

12-11-2013, 08:27 AM
oh. my. GOSH.

oh my gosh

i was just doing a comments update over on season 95 and when i went back to the seasons main page i saw vct33 had posted

and

OH MY GOSH!

i cannot believe i was one of the winners - there were so many really fabulous entries for this week

thank you very much, vct33, not just for picking me, and making my day, but also for hosting such a super week

The Ukelites
12-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Great! Congrats to BEVOMU and TCK! Well deserved :)

Thanks to vct33 for hosting this great Season!!

GinnyT11
12-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Hot diggity, Vince! Well done!

Thanks for a novel and really good challenge;
thanks for your thoughtful comments;
thanks for commemorating notable songs that didn't win;
and thanks for great selections for winners!

Now it's your turn to post, man! Let's see you strum!

frisbee fred
12-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Great Season VCT33! It was an honor to get an honorable mention :)

thesillydave
12-11-2013, 10:41 AM
congrats to the winners, BEVOMU &TCK! great job on hosting VCT33! another season put to bed! and congrats to all the seasonistas

Barbablanca
12-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Congrats to the worthy winners and thanks Vct33 for the plug of my song and hosting the week. People listening to my work after years "in the wilderness" is the greatest prize I could ever hope for. In that way I win every week! ;)

mattydee
12-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Congrats, winners! Great Season, Vince! And thanks for the shortlist shoutout!

Dougf
12-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Congrats Dave and Lynda, and thanks Vince for a fun season, and thanks for putting me in the top 12. :)

ukuleledaddy
12-11-2013, 05:56 PM
WooHoo! Congrats TCK & BirdIsTheWord! Super fun season. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to dress up in my wife's clothes.

TCK
12-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Wow- Me and BEV (HAHA- Bird is the word- that is going to stick!) pulled one off huh? Sitting in tall cotton here in Cloverdale, and thanks for the season Vince (did I get the name right?). So may great entries this week, I do not envy you mate, thanks for the effort and the theme- a real doozy that took a bit of deliberation for sure.
Happily up shit creek this week- cheers

decaturcomp
12-12-2013, 06:20 AM
ooooooh, two of the coolest kiddos.
congratulations kids and well chosen, too!

Wow- Me and BEV (HAHA- Bird is the word- that is going to stick!) pulled one off huh? Sitting in tall cotton here in Cloverdale, and thanks for the season Vince (did I get the name right?). So may great entries this week, I do not envy you mate, thanks for the effort and the theme- a real doozy that took a bit of deliberation for sure.
Happily up shit creek this week- cheers

Jazzbanjorex
12-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Congratulations winners and everyone!

myrnaukelele
12-12-2013, 04:11 PM
So many great entries this Season! It couldn't have been easy to pick just two winners. Congrats to TCK and BEV!
And I am thrilled that you liked my version of Easy Street (a song I've been singing for years but have never played on uke until this week).
You were a wonderful host vct33 - thanks for putting together a terrific Season.

Tootler
12-13-2013, 03:13 AM
Congratulations to the winners.

It was a different and interesting challenge.

Well done, Vince.

vct33
12-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Thank you all for the kind comments regarding the season. It started out rough with the amount of questions about rules etc.. so I got worried. I'm very happy with how it turned out and I loved every entry. Thanks to those of you who PM'ed me throughout the week to support me in my first season as host.

Keep on Ukin' , Vince

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
12-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Great Season, all. Thanks, Vince, for a terrific challenge. Thanks, all the rockers, for going the extra song this week---so many cool/thoughtful/funny ideas. Congratulations to the winners---well-deserved recognition for some great music! Woohoo, Seasonistas!!

bonesigh
12-16-2013, 05:09 AM
CONGRATULATIONS! :shaka: