how do you improve on mahogany

chuck in ny

Reaction score
okay,, i am a basic type of person sucked in by the warm tone of mahogany.
not closed minded by any means. are there other woods for that warm, grab-your-heart tone?

I was reading up recently and saw that acacia koa is very much like mahogany.

Macadamia is close IMHO

Mahogany is mahogany, and it's a classic choice for a reason. There are some folks I've seen say it's not a uke if it's not made with koa, so perhaps that's the place to start. Even not going as far as that, it's another classic uke wood for good reason. Enjoy the journey!

I don't think you can. Nothing quite sounds like mahogany. I've tried quite a few.

Tone wood is not the only thing that creates the sound. There are differences in construction, strings, uke size, and playing style that can really tweak the sound one way or the other. Even the way you hold the uke can affect how it sounds. Finding the right combination is a journey.

–Lori

I alternate exclusively between koa and mahogany ukes, and would have a hard time choosing a favorite - I love them both equally. Seconding the recommendation to check out koa!

sort of a lex luthor type subtlety to your method. thank you.

The OP actually asks two questions - one in the title of the post and one in the body text.

So I will reformat my answer above:
How do you improve on mahogany? - You can't.
Are there other woods for that warm, grab-your-heart tone? - Macadamia in IMHO.

i love mahogany.... sweet, warm, not too crispy, mellow

unbeatable

Tone wood is not the only thing that creates the sound. There are differences in construction, strings, uke size, and playing style that can really tweak the sound one way or the other. Even the way you hold the uke can affect how it sounds. Finding the right combination is a journey.

–Lori

Second, and thanks Lori!

"Improve" of course is subjective. We deal with Tropical American woods and there are two that are very similar.

Spanish Cedar, which a lot of luthiers now use for necks, is called "Cedar" because of it's smell, but it's not a Cedar - it's the same genus as Mahogany with a similar appearance. It is a bit less dense, and the sound is warmer. It is the traditional wood for the soundbox of a Cuatro Venezolano and a lot of Mexican instruments as well. You'll see it referred to as "Cedro".

Royal Mahogany, Andiroba, or "Caobilla" in Spanish, is also in the same genus as Mahogany. You'll notice a difference in working it, but in appearance the Central American variety can be practically indistinguishable. Where it comes from determines the sound - the Central American species are softer than Mahogany - they are a cross between Caoba (Honduran Mahogany) and Cedro in sound. The South American species are not as pretty, but are a bit denser with a bit crisper sound.

Both Caoba and Cedro are restricted under CITES. Caobilla (Spanish signifying "little cousin of Caoba") is not.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Perhaps Ekoa from Blackbird Guitars/Lingrove? I hope the answer is "yes" but won't know for another week or two...

I have a Mahogany Bruko and a Rosewood Bruko and I love them both but for looks, the Rosewood wins.

Top Bottom