PDA

View Full Version : Pegheds on Pono AS?

Archtop Tom
12-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Sorry to be tedious - just finished a post on tuners for a fluke - but we're having the same problem with friction tuners constantly loosening up on our Pono AS & I'd like to replace those with Pegheds, too.
Anyone done this & know which model/size to get? If not, does anyone know the peg hole size on a Pono AS? I know I can just take one off, but I'm worried about having a missing string/uneven tension on the neck until I get the replacements. For that matter is there any trick to taking the stock friction tuners off or do I pretty much just remove the adjustment screw on the button top?

Appreciate any words of wisdom - the more I learn the more I'll pass on.

Skinny Money McGee
12-03-2013, 01:41 PM
Sorry to be tedious - just finished a post on tuners for a fluke - but we're having the same problem with friction tuners constantly loosening up on our Pono AS & I'd like to replace those with Pegheds, too.
Anyone done this & know which model/size to get? If not, does anyone know the peg hole size on a Pono AS? I know I can just take one off, but I'm worried about having a missing string/uneven tension on the neck until I get the replacements. For that matter is there any trick to taking the stock friction tuners off or do I pretty much just remove the adjustment screw on the button top?

Appreciate any words of wisdom - the more I learn the more I'll pass on.

Call HMS. They replace the tuners on Pono's often with Gotoh 4:1 planetary tuners. http://www.theukulelesite.com/gotoh-upt-tuner-upgrade.html
I'm sure they could tell you what you need to do, or just buy the tuners and take your uke to a guitar tech somewhere

RichM
12-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Installing Pegheds requires reaming the peg holes. Not a do-it-yourself job unless you really know what you're doing.

Archtop Tom
12-03-2013, 05:58 PM
I really appreciate the words of caution, but I can't find anyone in my area who's experienced with ukes & shipping it back & forth out-of-state is a hassle plus there's the restringing. I've done a lot of careful light maintenance: installing pick guards, strap buttons, restringing... Read up on install info, noted all the things to watch out for, watched Gordon Mayer's extremely informative how-to on this and really feel ready to take it on - not just jumping in with fingers crossed. The only concern I have is getting the right diameter posts for the Pono AS. Peghed site says they have 2 sizes: 7.5 or 8.5mm. Elderly sells what they call 7mm so I'm already confused. If no one else knows, I guess I'll call HMS (where I bought it).

UkeTopher
12-19-2013, 05:12 AM
Over the past year, I have been on a journey that has taken my from Grover friction tuners, to Peghed, and now to Gotoh UPT. Let me save you some time and headaches. Go with Gotoh. I was not happy with the tuning ability of the Grover friction tuners, so I did some research and settled on Pegheds. I think they work OK if you have a Fluke (there is a specific Peghed model for Flukes). My Sasaki was drilled for the Grovers, which forces you to use a longer, bigger Peghed. Moreover, one of of the four Pegheds kept slipping. After some less than favorable interactions with the maker of Pegheds, I again looked at my options. I have since installed the Gotoh. They look like they belong on an uke. The Pegheds look like they belong on a violin. The Gotoh are smoother then the Pegheds and more easily adjusted. I friend who has a small drill press and experience in woodworking was able to help me install them. He said it was easy. He used a 9.7 mm drill bit to enlarge the back side of the holes about 1/3 inch. In addition, if you ever need to remove the tuners for any reason (repair, etc), Gotohs come right off. Not the case of Pegheds that typically are super glued into place. Web site www.japarts.ca has an interesting article on the History of Gohoh UPT Planetary Ukuklele involving Ralph Shaw and Yusuke Kawakami. My vote: Gotoh