Low string tension on Soprano

billten

Reaction score
I played a tenor for a while, then moved to a concert size uke. I would love to play a soprano but i find the 'loose-ness' or lack of string tension make my playing very muddy. Are there any particular type of strings or string material that will make the looser style of strings on a soprano less of an issue?

Thanks. Bill

You might try fluorocarbon Fremont Blackline Hard Tension strings, I like them on most sopranos.
I, too, started on tenor.

I use standard tuning on my Soprano's. You might try Martin M600's, tension is good and they also sound very good.

I sometimes use concert strings on my sopranos (and tenor strings on my concerts) because I also prefer higher tension. Right now I'm really liking the Martin M600s (which are sold as concert/soprano), but the recommendation for the Fremont Hard Blacklines is a good one too.

I actually prefer the lower string tension of a soprano much more than a tenor size. I set the action on my Ohana SK-35 to 1/32" at the 1st fret and 3/32" at the 12th fret, and now it feels like I am playing a Les Paul guitar (like cutting butter). To reduce the "muddy" tone, you need to "snap" the string when you finger pick; place the tip of your finger under the string and pull up slightly, then release. The Martin M600 strings are a good choice for clear fluorocarbon, in that the C string is thicker than most that I have played, which translates to boomier tone. I also found that the Worth Clear mediums have a thicker G and A string, so sometimes I like combining a set of Worth Clears medium and a set of Martin M600 strings: I use the G and A strings from the Worth pack, and the C and E strings from the Martin pack.

I don't have problems with string tension on a soprano. In fact I tune my tenor down to F Bb D G to lower the tension.

Tuning up to A D F# B is a good suggestion.

If you persist, you'll get used to the tension on a soprano. My fingers are not all that keen on too high a tension especially with fluorocarbon strings which, for me, give the best sound.

Top Bottom