One of the coolest ukes I've seen/heard in a while.

Captain Simian

Reaction score
Post Deleted

Last edited:
Can't find the sound clip, want to hear it very much. help help
thanks

Oh great, no pressure there. I can guarantee my playing will be about as polished as this looks.

Ha! You've not seen my pitiful seasons entries.
Have you shared any vids or soundclips yet?
This is UU. We are ohana. Suck as bad as you want, but let us hear it and love you anyway!

Poop! Sold before I could hear the sound clip

After listening to the clip a few times I can't decide whether I'd describe that as reverb or almost like a chorus effect. I think what's causing it is that the back of the tin vibrates almost as well as the front because it is so thin. On most traditional instruments the wooden back vibrates a little but acts to reflect sound more than create it and you don't really hear the vibrations of the back much unless you hold the back up to your ear. With this tin both the top and back are free to vibrate with almost equal volume.

Back in the 30's or 40's (I think it was, might have been later) a company made "echo ukes" - they were ordinary wooden ukes but they had a piece of sheet metal inside and attached to the back to create an effect similar to what I hear on this clip.

Just got the shipping notification, can't wait till it gets here next week!

Just got the shipping notification, can't wait till it gets here next week!

Jake does some amazing work & that little beauty has a unique sound. It will be cool to see where it takes you.

After listening to the clip a few times I can't decide whether I'd describe that as reverb or almost like a chorus effect. I think what's causing it is that the back of the tin vibrates almost as well as the front because it is so thin.

Well, the metal top does give it a certain sound and sustain and extra harmonic output BUT -- what makes it more than just a plinky steel-string uke are the springs loaded into the body. Since putting this together I've made up some removable gadgets to mount springs in a similar fashion in guitars and ukes the the result is pretty similar, though on this tin guy I loaded the springs right through the top in zones that vibrate the most, rather than rigged up to bracing inside an already-built instrument. This makes the springs on that guy react with about half-again more "output."

It's a fun thing. I'd like to try it on a bowed instrument to see if I can get a hardanger fiddle sound.

It just arrived!
I would have worked from home today due to the weather, but couldn't bear to think of this sitting forlornly in the package cabinet, so I made the extra long commute in. Think I'm going to head out and finish the day working at home so I miss the traffic mess of this morning, and so I can fool around with the 'uke'. Sound carries in the halls here, and this thing is loud! Sounds fantastic though, it's gonna be a lot of fun.

Top Bottom