And then there were two....

DeathBySexy

Reaction score
Sorry to make my first post a "LOL WAT KIND OF YOU-KUH-LAYLEE SHOULD I GET" but alas, multiple searches on the subject have left me scratching my head.

I've been looking to replace my decrepit concert with a new spiffy mid level tenor. After many searches, youtube videos and the like, I've narrowed down to:

Ohana TK-35G
http://tinyurl.com/dxu6w7

Koa Pili Koko
http://tinyurl.com/c5rqzx

Both satisfy my need to be solid wood, and both have gotten favorable reviews. What are everyone's opinions on these? Thanks.

I don't really think you can go wrong with either. I have never played an Ohana, but I do have a KPK soprano and am very pleased with it. A couple of things I have noticed and heard from other KPK owners is the strings sort of stick to the wood nut when tuneing so it can be a little tricky some times. I like the look and similar sound of koa with out the koa price tag. But thats just me.

The wood nut would be a dealbreaker for me. I'm a tuning freak, and if something causes any kind of tuning troubles.. nah.

Ohana gets great reviews, too. I also recommend the KenMiddletonUkulele channel on youtube. Great clear reviews and great sound samples.

There was a uke minutes on it, if you want to check it out....

There's a Koa Pili Koko for sale in the Marketplace section . . .

...the strings sort of stick to the wood nut when tuneing so it can be a little tricky some times.

No matter the material of the nut, sticking problems can often be helped by loosening the strings and then running a regular pencil through the slots a few times. Graphite is a fine lubricant and won't drool off and stain other parts of the uke (like liquid lubricants might).

If you live in a dry climate, you may want to be careful of the KPK. I've seen several reported instances of KPK ukes cracking in dry climates. Otherwise, I have played some KPK ukes in Hawaii and they are very good. Like others said, both KPK and Ohana are good ukes. Choose one based on your aesthetics preference and living climate.

Also check out Mainland Ukes. They are a bit cheaper and are solid wood that I have heard nothing but praise for. They are on sale in the UU store. :D

Out of the 2 you listed though, I'd go with the Ohana.

Thanks for the input everyone. Part of my wants the KPK for a different sound than my current mahogany, but at the same time, I prefer the warmth and fullness compared to the brightness of the KPK.

I hate it when people jump in a thread and suggest something the OP isn't asking about...but my vote would be Pono. Solid wood, bone nut/saddle, and that beautiful mahogany sound... (Not to mention the beautiful Ko'olau case that's included...check MGM!)

Top Bottom