Flair or Function?

swervy jervy

Reaction score
Here's a noob question:

I've seen videos and photos of some ukes where the operator has left several inches of string uncut and coiled out the end of the tuners. It looks like moth noses. Not unattractive, but rare enough for me to wonder.

Is this a bit of tarting up or is there another purpose?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Just for looks, or in some cases perhaps just laziness? Haha. I think it looks pretty cool. Guitarists have been doing it forever. My favorite uke example of this is Jason Arimoto.

Laziness is clipping it with a finger nail clipper, not spooling it in a circle. :D

Haha, it is just for looks. Some like it, others don't.

No reason, really, besides for looks, if desired. My uncle claims he does so because It's "totally rockstar" And I give him the "you're really creeping me out" look. IMO it gets in the way, and makes my fingers itch

Actually there's an advantage of being able to remove the string for an unknown reason and putting it back on later. It might happen.

I've never used wound strings, but I have read that you are not supposed to clip them, rather coil them lest they unwind. I always figured that was the reason for it, that and the above mentioned instance of being able to remove it and put it back on.

I've never used wound strings, but I have read that you are not supposed to clip them, rather coil them lest they unwind. I always figured that was the reason for it, that and the above mentioned instance of being able to remove it and put it back on.

I do it with the wound strings. I still trim them, not all the way, because they are super long (I use classical guitar strings).

For me, function - so the don't unravel. Yes, I could dip the end in CA, but that's ugly too, especially if it drips, and you ruin the headstock.

-Aaron

Actually there's an advantage of being able to remove the string for an unknown reason and putting it back on later. It might happen.

This is very true. I wanted to put my D'Addario set back on my Flea because I didn't like the Aquilas, but there wasn't enough string left because I had cut too much off the first time. :( Nowadays, I do the real lazy thing and just don't bother cutting the excess off at all, and instead of coiling it up nice and pretty, I just let it do what it pleases. It's punk rawk. :B

One thing to keep in mind is that if you hear a weird buzz the extra wound string could cause that. When I take off clipped strings and want to put them on again I grab the end with a needle nosed pliers and you can usually get it started that way.

Top Bottom