The "I Bought a Blackbird Clara Ukulele" Thread

good_uke_boy

Reaction score
I ordered one, which I understand will be among the first batch of 50. I'm hoping to receive mine in a week a two.

In the spirit of ukemunga's "I bought an Outdoor Ukulele" thread, I thought I'd start this one. We know Cigarfan's in. Anybody else?

Joe said he would probably be contacting me the third week in Dec for the final payment and shipping arrangements.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to add a Blackbird in early 2014. I will likely stick with the tenor as I just prefer tenor-sized ukes. But adopting both would be nice! ;-)

Just got word from Joe about a ship date: "Looks like next week."

Mine shipped on the 19th but seems to be caught up in the FedEx delays around Christmas.

I asked FedEx to hold mine for pick-up. Hoping it comes in so I can get it today. Corey makes it sing. Really nice.

Clara has landed

Finally. After many delays (for unknown reasons other than the Christmas rush) and three delivery date changes I picked this baby up tonight. Strings are still stretching but first impression has the Clara sounding pretty darn good. Full lush sound for a concert and very much like a wood uke. Much deeper sound than I expected. I'll post an NGD with better pictures but here are some iPhone pics til then.

ngd-clara-2.jpg

ngd-clara-3.jpg

ngd-clara-4.jpg

ngd-clara-5.jpg

That is a stunning NUD! Really really nice. Hope you get lots of enjoyment from it. The HMS reviews make it very tempting. I have no doubt this one is a keeper.

So if you have received one, can you tell us more about how it plays. Not just the sound, but the overall feel, the neck and playability. How does it compare to a good quality hand made uke?

Congrats Dennis, dang you are starting to get an amazing collection... :)

Pretty funny you say that. If i'm ever asked my dream uke collection. All i got to say is "What Dennis got"...

Wow man!
Antoniotsai Rose Tenor (Acacia Koa)
Blackbird Clara (Concert - eKoa)
Kamaka HF-4 (Baritone - Koa)
Kanile'a Concert (Custom - Curly Tiger Mahogany)
Kinnard Tenor (Custom - Cedar/Walnut)
KoAloha Pineapple Sunday (Koa)
Mako Tenor (Custom - Koa)
Martin 1T IZ (Tenor - Mahogany)
Martin Style 3 Soprano (1955-1959)
Ovation Applause UAE148-4 (Tenor)

Nice! Can't wait to hear your thoughts. I had limited time with one at the launch party but was impressed. Will be curious if you (and others) keep then low g or change to re-entrant.

Top Bottom