PDA

View Full Version : What do you use when ya go out?

Uke Republic
12-05-2013, 05:21 AM
When you travel or go out with your ukulele(s) do you use-
A basic bag, A deluxe bag, a rigid case/bag, a hard foam case, a wood based case, etc.? Or do you let your uke go about naked? :D

RichM
12-05-2013, 05:56 AM
Always a hard case. For most casual nights out, I prefer a rigid foam case, as the light weight make them easy to carry and I don't really worry about them taking too much punishment. Aesthetically, though, I prefer a traditional wooden case, and the smaller footprint makes them better for airplane overhead bins, etc.

Ukulele Eddie
12-05-2013, 05:57 AM
A basic bag, A deluxe bag, a rigid case/bag, a hard foam case, a wood based case, etc.? Or do you let your uke go about naked? :D

Hard foam case.

Gary52
12-05-2013, 05:58 AM
For most travel I use a basic gig bag. If I'm carrying the uke onto a plane, it goes in a wood-based hardshell case.

mds725
12-05-2013, 06:16 AM
I have a fiberglass Kamoa-made tenor-sized hard case for any travel that involves an airplane. I have a wood-based hard case for other forms of going out, such as to my ukulele class or to kanikapilas or meetups. I have a protective gig bag with backpack straps for visits to things like ukulele festivals, where I want to be hands-free and I'm not too worried about the ukulele and its case getting jostled or tossed about. I'd love to find a baritone-sized fiberglass case, but it doesn't appear that anyone makes them.

bassballz
12-05-2013, 06:16 AM
If I'm taking anything more than my inexpensive ukes (<$100), it's always in a hardcase.
Though I do keep an Oudoor ukulele in the car at all times and it travels in just an unpadded bag.

flyingace
12-05-2013, 06:18 AM
I mainly use my hard tolex covered case, either the one I got from you or my Oscar Schmidt case. I wish there was a case made like these but with a way to also carry sheet music. So in that instance I use my UkeCrazy rigid gig bag that as the pocket. Not as "special" looking though! :(

peaceweaver3
12-05-2013, 07:26 AM
With the uke I have now (my son's, not mine), I use a foam case because that's what it came in and fits in. The uke is a Lanikai LU21C. When I had my beloved Flea, I used the gig bag. If I had a uke with any solid wood, I'd use a "proper" hard case... But play a lot less! I like the casualness and portability of a gig bag, but the uke needs to be indestructible to travel like that. Otherwise I'd worry about it, and for me that takes all the fun out of playing. :(

Kayak Jim
12-05-2013, 07:37 AM
If I'm taking anything more than my inexpensive ukes (<$100), it's always in a hardcase.

Yes. This. Me too.

Shazzbot
12-05-2013, 07:42 AM
My Flea in a hard case has been all over the world with me.
At least what world I've been to.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
12-05-2013, 08:27 AM
for my weekly gig at a Senior Living Facility, I use a roller backpack for my 2" binder and music stand. Sometimes I place my Hawaiian-print, fabric-cased Soprano uke in there as well.

last night at our weekly STRUM (Seattle's Totally-Relaxed Ukulele Musicians) song circle, I simply took my fabric-cased uke and songbook into the Kona Kitchen Restaurant (owner is Yuji Okumoto - bad guy in Karate Kid 2).

I also have a double-racket (tennis) case for ukes (one side) and music stand and songbooks (other side).

If I'm doing a lot of walking I like a backpack, regular or roller. Regular backpack if it's just the uke and songbook and light music stand, or roller backpack if I'm carrying anything heavy like an amp :)

When I travel (flight to HNL) I place my uke (fabric case or gig bag) into my carryon and have it on the floor under the seat in front of me. Don't worry it's a Soprano and I make sure I don't step on it. I usually get a window seat so there's no passenger traffic to worry about, you know going to the restroom or to walk the aisle :)

I've been looking at those fiberglass rectangular violin cases for my soprano or concert, music stand, and Nexus 10 :)

keep uke'in',

Freeda
12-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Whatever is handy. Life is to be lived, not worried over.

byjimini
12-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Hard case. I don't pay insurance for the hell of it. :/

sukie
12-05-2013, 08:41 AM
I always use my Oscar Schmidt hard case. I LOVE that case.

gyosh
12-05-2013, 08:45 AM
for my weekly gig at a Senior Living Facility, I use a roller backpack for my 2" binder and music stand. Sometimes I place my Hawaiian-print, fabric-cased Soprano uke in there as well.

last night at our weekly STRUM (Seattle's Totally-Relaxed Ukulele Musicians) song circle, I simply took my fabric-cased uke and songbook into the Kona Kitchen Restaurant (owner is Yuji Okumoto - bad guy in Karate Kid 2).

I also have a double-racket (tennis) case for ukes (one side) and music stand and songbooks (other side).

If I'm doing a lot of walking I like a backpack, regular or roller. Regular backpack if it's just the uke and songbook and light music stand, or roller backpack if I'm carrying anything heavy like an amp :)

When I travel (flight to HNL) I place my uke (fabric case or gig bag) into my carryon and have it on the floor under the seat in front of me. Don't worry it's a Soprano and I make sure I don't step on it. I usually get a window seat so there's no passenger traffic to worry about, you know going to the restroom or to walk the aisle :)

I've been looking at those fiberglass rectangular violin cases for my soprano or concert, music stand, and Nexus 10 :)

keep uke'in',

Hey Uncle Rod,

Tell Yuji I said "hi" I played basketball with him before. He won't remember, but I'm friends with Mitch Tomita and Kurt Nakashima.

Five Ways
12-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Rigid foam for most tenors, plus hard cases for concert and banjo uke, all kept in cases when not in use inside or out for safety.

itsme
12-05-2013, 09:58 AM
Each uke has its own case so it depends on which uke I'm taking with me. :)

One's in a hardshell, one in foam, and the rest in their original padded gigbags.

Olarte
12-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Flea and fluke of in their respective bags....

I just got a yellow fiberglass case from china via ebay.... They took my first offer of 70 it was listed at 84... Shipping was 45 but it got here in a bit over a week.

It's a nice case comparable to the crossrock case but no inside compartment and yet it has shoulder straps,.. To carry like a backpack.

sugengshi
12-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Each uke has its own case so it depends on which uke I'm taking with me. :)

One's in a hardshell, one in foam, and the rest in their original padded gigbags.

This is just like me. It depends on which uke gets to travel. My favourite is my Mainland Mahogany Tenor in Mono case. Another one is Mainland Red Cedar Concert in Steady gig bag. All the rests are in the original padded gig bags as well. :-)

mds725
12-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Flea and fluke of in their respective bags....

I just got a yellow fiberglass case from china via ebay.... They took my first offer of 70 it was listed at 84... Shipping was 45 but it got here in a bit over a week.

It's a nice case comparable to the crossrock case but no inside compartment and yet it has shoulder straps,.. To carry like a backpack.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been curious about those cases. What ukulele are you putting in it? How's the fit? how's the workmanship on the case? Thanks!

Tele295
12-05-2013, 04:19 PM
This is my usual case. It used to be my daughter's beat-up viola case, but then she got a new one.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/Rumbletweed/Snapbucket/915DB5E3_zps5047affb.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/Rumbletweed/Snapbucket/62CBF00B_zpsea6377d6.jpg

I just have a regular gig bag for my uBass

Lori
12-05-2013, 05:07 PM
For around town...Each uke has their own case/ gig bag (I think I have almost every variety except for fiberglas), so whatever they normally live in is what I bring. However, if I am bringing 2 ukes (one high g, one low g), I transfer them into my lightweight Kala tandem tenor case/ gig bag. It has backpack straps, and frees my hands up to carry the music stand and baritone (which has happened a lot recently). It also has some nice external pockets that can hold many accessories.

–Lori

Olarte
12-05-2013, 07:33 PM
I don't think its a hijack since this thread is about cases...

I have not used it yet as it's for Xmas ....

On the negative side it smells of chemicals... In fact it needs to be aired out a bit.

It's a decent build although I don't love the carry handle or that it has not internal compartment. But other then that I like it a lot.

It fits all my tenors and concerts. And because it's made like a mold of a Uke with a skinny neck area, it holds a concert fairly snug.

It does not fit a soprano... I even thought of getting a soprano one, but I don't travel much with a soprano. And the soprano is almost the same price...

Shipping was $45 but it was nice and prompt... Under 2 weeks.

I got this case for travel, mainly for flying which usually means a tenor Uke. Oh, on another note, stickers should stay on nice on the case due to the surface.... Unlike other cases.

I have not tried a crossrock but for almost 1/2 the price, I'm quite satisfied.... Hope it holds up.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been curious about those cases. What ukulele are you putting in it? How's the fit? how's the workmanship on the case? Thanks!

bonesigh
12-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Am I the ONLY one who occasionally goes naked?

Cornfield
12-06-2013, 12:15 PM
I took a Fluke to Australia for a month. No case, I shoved it into a bag with my sweater and a laptop. The headstock was always peaking out. It was in hot, cold, wet and dry. It worked out just fine and didn't sound bad.

Hippie Dribble
12-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Am I the ONLY one who occasionally goes naked?

na. naked. dental floss. strictly cash only.

haolejohn
12-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Depends on where I am going...I've traveled with gig bag, hard case and even no case. Currently I am traveling with no case since I am using my outdoor uke.

4stringjonty
12-06-2013, 12:53 PM
I have a cheep case so I have to be careful

ukegirl
12-06-2013, 01:07 PM
A deluxe bag....

Pueo
12-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Each of my ukuleles has its own case or gigbag so I usually just go with that. My less expensive ukuleles have gigbags and the more expensive ones have hard cases.
My Kala Concert gigbag has backpack straps so if I am going local and need to be handsfree I will sometimes put whichever (concert) sized ukulele I want to bring in that bag.
My Kamoa Grand Concert has the Kamoa fibreglass case with backpack straps so if I want a nicer uke and need to be handsfree I just take that ukulele :)

TG&Y
12-06-2013, 01:11 PM
I don't go out, but I really like my OS case too. Wish there was black option. With crimson or emerald crushed velvet. Heh.

I always use my Oscar Schmidt hard case. I LOVE that case.

kmac66
12-06-2013, 01:49 PM
I tried a couple of those cool tweed hard cases for my Koaloha. As great as they look I realized I wanted to be able to strap it over my shoulder so I went with one of those Use Crazy black cloth hard shell jobs. Its not as cool looking, but it olds a lot more than just my ukulele so I'm really pleased with it.

strumsilly
12-06-2013, 01:50 PM
for airplane travel, hard foam and Koaloha concert [light and bright],or if taking the dolphin, just putting it in the carryon between clothes. Hard cases for car travel.

DaleR
12-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Hard case for the U Bass and Tiki King, soft cases for the others, with shoulder straps on them. When I travel across country, my dolphin usually wins out.

hucklelele
12-07-2013, 01:08 PM
I just take one of the cheap painted ukes out for coffee without any bag- stand there in line at the grocery plunking it- good for the nerves

if I take the motorized bike, I sometimes just stick it then in the side rear pannier bag.

TG&Y
12-07-2013, 01:41 PM

(from http://juneaujambuster.tumblr.com/ - a cool place to check in on now and again)

I just take one of the cheap painted ukes out for coffee without any bag- stand there in line at the grocery plunking it- good for the nerves

if I take the motorized bike, I sometimes just stick it then in the side rear pannier bag.

bonesigh
12-08-2013, 05:02 AM
So, I'm not the only one who takes her uke to the store and the doctors and the hospital and the, and the, and the, well, you get the point!

bonesigh
12-08-2013, 05:06 AM
Huh??? Since the forum won't let me put a short message, I'll say it again, Huh?

na. naked. dental floss. strictly cash only.

iamesperambient
12-08-2013, 07:00 AM

Right now i have a lanikai padded gig bag for the lanikai soprano
the diamond head uke i have goes naked its such a piece of crap
it doesn't need protection. My konablaster baritone has a cordoba padded
bag which is really thick and protects the uke well. My concert (eiphone les paul)
comes with a really shitty gig bag that the uke is jammed in (its clearly to small for the scale)
and has no protection im looking into a hardshell case for it if i can find one that would fit properly
(if anyone knows of one that would be great.)