What do you use when ya go out?

Always a hard case. For most casual nights out, I prefer a rigid foam case, as the light weight make them easy to carry and I don't really worry about them taking too much punishment. Aesthetically, though, I prefer a traditional wooden case, and the smaller footprint makes them better for airplane overhead bins, etc.

When you travel or go out with your ukulele(s) do you use-
A basic bag, A deluxe bag, a rigid case/bag, a hard foam case, a wood based case, etc.? Or do you let your uke go about naked? :D

Hard foam case.

For most travel I use a basic gig bag. If I'm carrying the uke onto a plane, it goes in a wood-based hardshell case.

I have a fiberglass Kamoa-made tenor-sized hard case for any travel that involves an airplane. I have a wood-based hard case for other forms of going out, such as to my ukulele class or to kanikapilas or meetups. I have a protective gig bag with backpack straps for visits to things like ukulele festivals, where I want to be hands-free and I'm not too worried about the ukulele and its case getting jostled or tossed about. I'd love to find a baritone-sized fiberglass case, but it doesn't appear that anyone makes them.

If I'm taking anything more than my inexpensive ukes (<$100), it's always in a hardcase.
Though I do keep an Oudoor ukulele in the car at all times and it travels in just an unpadded bag.

I mainly use my hard tolex covered case, either the one I got from you or my Oscar Schmidt case. I wish there was a case made like these but with a way to also carry sheet music. So in that instance I use my UkeCrazy rigid gig bag that as the pocket. Not as "special" looking though! :(

With the uke I have now (my son's, not mine), I use a foam case because that's what it came in and fits in. The uke is a Lanikai LU21C. When I had my beloved Flea, I used the gig bag. If I had a uke with any solid wood, I'd use a "proper" hard case... But play a lot less! I like the casualness and portability of a gig bag, but the uke needs to be indestructible to travel like that. Otherwise I'd worry about it, and for me that takes all the fun out of playing. :(

My Flea in a hard case has been all over the world with me.
At least what world I've been to.

for my weekly gig at a Senior Living Facility, I use a roller backpack for my 2" binder and music stand. Sometimes I place my Hawaiian-print, fabric-cased Soprano uke in there as well.

last night at our weekly STRUM (Seattle's Totally-Relaxed Ukulele Musicians) song circle, I simply took my fabric-cased uke and songbook into the Kona Kitchen Restaurant (owner is Yuji Okumoto - bad guy in Karate Kid 2).

I also have a double-racket (tennis) case for ukes (one side) and music stand and songbooks (other side).

If I'm doing a lot of walking I like a backpack, regular or roller. Regular backpack if it's just the uke and songbook and light music stand, or roller backpack if I'm carrying anything heavy like an amp :)

When I travel (flight to HNL) I place my uke (fabric case or gig bag) into my carryon and have it on the floor under the seat in front of me. Don't worry it's a Soprano and I make sure I don't step on it. I usually get a window seat so there's no passenger traffic to worry about, you know going to the restroom or to walk the aisle :)

I've been looking at those fiberglass rectangular violin cases for my soprano or concert, music stand, and Nexus 10 :)

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
Whatever is handy. Life is to be lived, not worried over.

Hard case. I don't pay insurance for the hell of it. :/

for my weekly gig at a Senior Living Facility, I use a roller backpack for my 2" binder and music stand. Sometimes I place my Hawaiian-print, fabric-cased Soprano uke in there as well.

last night at our weekly STRUM (Seattle's Totally-Relaxed Ukulele Musicians) song circle, I simply took my fabric-cased uke and songbook into the Kona Kitchen Restaurant (owner is Yuji Okumoto - bad guy in Karate Kid 2).

I also have a double-racket (tennis) case for ukes (one side) and music stand and songbooks (other side).

If I'm doing a lot of walking I like a backpack, regular or roller. Regular backpack if it's just the uke and songbook and light music stand, or roller backpack if I'm carrying anything heavy like an amp :)

When I travel (flight to HNL) I place my uke (fabric case or gig bag) into my carryon and have it on the floor under the seat in front of me. Don't worry it's a Soprano and I make sure I don't step on it. I usually get a window seat so there's no passenger traffic to worry about, you know going to the restroom or to walk the aisle :)

I've been looking at those fiberglass rectangular violin cases for my soprano or concert, music stand, and Nexus 10 :)

keep uke'in',

Hey Uncle Rod,

Tell Yuji I said "hi" I played basketball with him before. He won't remember, but I'm friends with Mitch Tomita and Kurt Nakashima.

Rigid foam for most tenors, plus hard cases for concert and banjo uke, all kept in cases when not in use inside or out for safety.

Flea and fluke of in their respective bags....

I just got a yellow fiberglass case from china via ebay.... They took my first offer of 70 it was listed at 84... Shipping was 45 but it got here in a bit over a week.

It's a nice case comparable to the crossrock case but no inside compartment and yet it has shoulder straps,.. To carry like a backpack.

Each uke has its own case so it depends on which uke I'm taking with me. :)

One's in a hardshell, one in foam, and the rest in their original padded gigbags.

This is just like me. It depends on which uke gets to travel. My favourite is my Mainland Mahogany Tenor in Mono case. Another one is Mainland Red Cedar Concert in Steady gig bag. All the rests are in the original padded gig bags as well. :)

Flea and fluke of in their respective bags....

I just got a yellow fiberglass case from china via ebay.... They took my first offer of 70 it was listed at 84... Shipping was 45 but it got here in a bit over a week.

It's a nice case comparable to the crossrock case but no inside compartment and yet it has shoulder straps,.. To carry like a backpack.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been curious about those cases. What ukulele are you putting in it? How's the fit? how's the workmanship on the case? Thanks!

Top Bottom