where is everyone?

New stuff is looking mighty fine, Peter.

I miss Rick's and Pete's quick wit and on-the-mark advice.

Beautiful uke Peter.

You are right, there are people who do not post as frequently as they once did. I count myself among them. There was some unpleasantness earlier this year, and the bad taste lingers for a while. I am going back into the woodwork for now.

Hey Peter- I see you have one of those new fancy scrapers there. How do you like it?

Aaron, I have the small one and I think it's worth having. Easier in some cases, better in some cases than card scrapers. Bit of a pain to sharpen though, but you don't need to do that too often.

As for where are people, I wouldn't think I'm missed as much as Rick but for some reason I don't post as much. Maybe I'm too set in my ways to ask for, or give any useful advice.

Sven

Hi Peter, just chiming in to say LOVELY work, and that I just patted one of your older six strings and put it back in it's case a few minutes ago. It's a little beat up but it's a honey!

I was wondering if that "unpleasantness" has led to the lack of postings as of late. Did it put off the hawaiian builders over the Kimo/HMS thing? Hopefully the community will recover and come back!

OH and Peter, great looking work! Envious! I'd love to learn to build someday but I better just concentrate on learning to play better and better and admire the art of building from afar!

Having joined not all that long ago and coming from an outsider's perspective I have to honestly say that UU builder's forum (at least from MY perspective) seems to harbor a tendency for acerbic replies, and I know I'm certainly not as inclined to participate here as much as I do on other forums.

I come at it perhaps from a different perspective, but as a "non-professional" builder I think of public forums more as a way to share and participate in methodology that might benefit the small shop builder. I might be that there just are a lot fewer participating builders than I'm used to seeing.

If I post something that I've just discovered it's a bit odd to have someone reply with "I did that a long time ago." It's not supportive, informative, it's somewhat mean-spirited, and IMHO totally lacking in taste. Maybe some just operate that way, but I think it contributes to some having the opinion that they would be better off not posting for fear of critical response.

That's just me, though.

I was wondering if that "unpleasantness" has led to the lack of postings as of late. Did it put off the hawaiian builders over the Kimo/HMS thing? Hopefully the community will recover and come back!

OH and Peter, great looking work! Envious! I'd love to learn to build someday but I better just concentrate on learning to play better and better and admire the art of building from afar!

I was wondering what had happened too,i guess that explains it
but what happened to Rick Turner? he was the best at giving Real advice

Having joined not all that long ago and coming from an outsider's perspective I have to honestly say that UU builder's forum (at least from MY perspective) seems to harbor a tendency for acerbic replies, and I know I'm certainly not as inclined to participate here as much as I do on other forums...

...Maybe some just operate that way, but I think it contributes to some having the opinion that they would be better off not posting for fear of critical response.

I understand how you could feel that way but in the couple of years I have followed this segment of the forum I have learned incredible info and building techniques from the best ukulele builders in the world.

For me, I first learned to search the archived posts for answers, because I have always found others willing to help and teach me if I said "Hey I read your advice about ___ and have a question" or "it didn't work for me, what's up with that?" I think the acerbic comments you may have seen were generally the result of someone posting something like - "hey, I want to make the world-best ukulele with my first one, AND I know all about that 'experience yadda-yadda' so just tell me what to do in one post"

Back to Peter's original post now - Thanks you guys, for being here. Ken (also ever-present) is right, people are still here if you look about a bit.

Last edited:
One of the major problems, in my view, with the section is that there is no seperation from the pro's and the beginners. First timers are overly excited by all this and tend to want to share, nothing wrong with that. However, many of the posts are redundant and are of no interest to the pro's for the most part. Someone asks a question and someone else will answer it with little or no knowledge and then the stage is set. Some luthiers were quick to jump in hard when they see misinformation presented as knowledge, and in my opinion there is nothing wrong with that as long as the person is not attacked, just the misinformation. Some people can not separate the two and problems arise.

Professional luthiers don't always agree on techniques, materials and methods and if they want to yell and scream at each other over those techiniques, etc., I think they should be allowed to do so. It makes for interesting dialogue and exchange of ideas. We can handle it and if some can't they can always stay away. It is when we are told we can't, well then we tend to lose interest and decline to contribute further. This forum has become somewhat dictortial IMO and hence the absense of the stronger personalities. That is my take on the current situation.

One thing to add, it's the owners of any website that dictates the flow of the forums

I understand how you could feel that way but in the couple of years I have followed this segment of the forum I have learned incredible info and building techniques from the best ukulele builders in the world.

For me, I first learned to search the archived posts for answers, because I have always found others willing to help and teach me if I said "Hey I read your advice about ___ and have a question" or "it didn't work for me, what's up with that?" I think the acerbic comments you may have seen were generally the result of someone posting something like - "hey, I want to make the world-best ukulele with my first one, AND I know all about that 'experience yadda-yadda' so just tell me what to do in one post"

Back to Peter's original post now - Thanks you guys, for being here. Ken (also ever-present) is right, people are still here if you look about a bit.

Thank you for PC-ness and understanding my viewpoint. your comments are well-taken.

Being new to UU, the first thing I did as went back and sequentially went through ALL pages of the builder's section for the last year. You can get a pretty good idea of the nature of discussion going back and reading that far, and you start to run into the same topics being posted multiple times.

I learned a long time ago that search engines within the forums are a great way to not illicit a lot of grumbling from participants about the need to re-post something that's already been covered. It's oftentimes a forum's greatest asset.

As far as acerbic comments, I try to practice tongue-biting, realizing the old adage about what to do if you don't have anything good to say still rings true today. The world would be a better place if more folks adopted the practice.

I personally don't like adversarial discussions regardless of how well-meaning they might be, so I tend to leave all the heavy lifting to the big dogs.

Thanks again!

Aloha Peter,
That Uke looks amazing and beautiful....sorta like a Mac style....
Yes some feelings have been hurt, I hope they will start to contribute again...as the old adage goes, tomorrows a new day and yesterday is forgotten...

Thank you for PC-ness and understanding my viewpoint. your comments are well-taken.

Being new to UU, the first thing I did as went back and sequentially went through ALL pages of the builder's section for the last year. You can get a pretty good idea of the nature of discussion going back and reading that far, and you start to run into the same topics being posted multiple times.

I learned a long time ago that search engines within the forums are a great way to not illicit a lot of grumbling from participants about the need to re-post something that's already been covered. It's oftentimes a forum's greatest asset.

As far as acerbic comments, I try to practice tongue-biting, realizing the old adage about what to do if you don't have anything good to say still rings true today. The world would be a better place if more folks adopted the practice.

I personally don't like adversarial discussions regardless of how well-meaning they might be, so I tend to leave all the heavy lifting to the big dogs.

Thanks again!
Rudy..You and me have a lot in common :)

Maybe all the good questions have been asked , and answered already .

Maybe all the good questions have been asked , and answered already .

I like that! It reminds me of a friend I had in high school (over 40 years ago...) that said he wasn't going to play music any longer because all of the possibilities to write good songs were exhausted.:)

Top Bottom