Finally Making Progress

BigMamaJ40

Reaction score
I started playing the uke almost a year ago. As a guitar player, I figured it would be easy enough, right? Not quite!

It started out great. I loved how "chunking" gave me access to rhythms I could not replicate on the guitar. I started by learning some of the ragtime classics. Now I want to expand my strumming to more chord/melody style, but I have been having a difficult time with it.

I have only been getting to play a few hours every weekend, and I now realize I need to PRACTICE more regularly if I am going to improve. No more just winging it.

So, I spent time today learning Glen Rose's arrangement of Jobim's "Wave". It seemed impossible at first, but I took it bar-by-bar, and now, by Jove, I have the A section down now! A good uke day!

That's awesome BigMama and encouraging for all of us. Yeah, chord melody arrangements do take time initially, but that extra time is so worth it. And every tune you learn is more background info for the next one. So, after awhile things just start to make sense and you will find the speed of your improvement greatly accelerate. Cheers and happy uke day! :)

I started playing the uke almost a year ago. As a guitar player, I figured it would be easy enough, right? Not quite!

It started out great. I loved how "chunking" gave me access to rhythms I could not replicate on the guitar. I started by learning some of the ragtime classics. Now I want to expand my strumming to more chord/melody style, but I have been having a difficult time with it.

I have only been getting to play a few hours every weekend, and I now realize I need to PRACTICE more regularly if I am going to improve. No more just winging it.

So, I spent time today learning Glen Rose's arrangement of Jobim's "Wave". It seemed impossible at first, but I took it bar-by-bar, and now, by Jove, I have the A section down now! A good uke day!

Haha, I'm working on the same one. Glen Rose has very good instruction. Check out the Gerald Ross version on You Tube while you're at it. (It'll make you want to quit!) :)

Thanks, Eugene -- your videos have been a big inspiration.

Chuck: I think I've viewed every ukulele version of "Wave" on YouTube. Gerald's video is awesome! His playing is so smooth and relaxed. I also have Craig Brandau's "Jazz Chord Solos for Tenor Ukulele" book, but, even with CD and YouTube video, I couldn't make my playing "sing". It's a great arrangement, but just too complicated for me.

Glen Rose's arrangement is much more straightforward and accessible, and I like his teaching style. It also helped, after I had the melody notes down, to put a capo on the 1st fret and play along to Frank Sinatra's version, especially with the phrasing. Lyrics also help me memorize the melody better.

Top Bottom