PDA

View Full Version : SoCal San Diego Jam Session

mmanalo
01-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Well I've missed a few gatherings here in San Diego, Was wondering if anyone would like to help set one up for the near future. I'm thinking March or April at a San Diego Bay with some BBQ (island style) and soft drinks...etc. Let me know~!:shaka:

NukeDOC
01-26-2009, 06:48 AM
im the one that has put together the last three "san diego represent" get togethers. i love putting them together, but its just so much work. and the band has been super busy. that along with the other things that go on in my life make it hard to think about setting another one up.

so if you are planning to start one up, PLEASE DO. it would be awesome. only advice i can give you is try to cover as many corners as you can, and people will come.

parking
ammenities
children
food/drinks
weather
bonfire or not

build it and they will come.

deadeye
01-26-2009, 10:20 AM
i think im coming back to SD in may/june for 3 months...hopefully i can come to another!

Bigg
01-26-2009, 02:05 PM
im the one that has put together the last three "san diego represent" get togethers. i love putting them together, but its just so much work. and the band has been super busy. that along with the other things that go on in my life make it hard to think about setting another one up.

so if you are planning to start one up, PLEASE DO. it would be awesome. only advice i can give you is try to cover as many corners as you can, and people will come.

parking
ammenities
children
food/drinks
weather
bonfire or not

Everybody meetup at Nuke's house. He will provide lots of food and drinks. Almost Islanders will give away free uke's to everyone too!!! How does that sound? :) Hehe.

BUGOY
01-26-2009, 02:25 PM
shhh.... dont let the secret out too early!! :shaka:

Uke_Windu
01-26-2009, 04:08 PM
im down for another one...the last one was so much fun...so much uke, so much love...

mmanalo
01-28-2009, 05:11 AM

parking
ammenities
children
food/drinks
weather
bonfire or not

Yeah, I hear ya...Between work and my family I'm swamped during the week and sometimes the weekend. But maybe if theirs some people that wants to get together as a group and set it up that would make it easier on all of us. But if not, then I'll do my best. Summers sounds great for da outdoors, since they took the fire pits out at the bays!

Bigg
01-29-2009, 02:36 PM
We need to find a place to do it indoors during the winter months. Anybody have any connections to something we can all use? I'm trying to find a place in the OC for indoor get togethers, but one in SD is needed too.

mmanalo
01-30-2009, 06:49 AM
Yeah, that's da only thing with winter months unless you gather during the day. But indoors are hard to find. But if I come up with anything I'll be sure to post it. Other than that, if a few people are down to help set something up for this summer..let me know!

Britna
01-31-2009, 04:58 PM
let's plan something! bugoy will play his spatula for us again!

dafamcallsmebj
02-04-2009, 06:52 AM
im the one that has put together the last three "san diego represent" get togethers. i love putting them together, but its just so much work. and the band has been super busy. that along with the other things that go on in my life make it hard to think about setting another one up. ....

So I was wondering if I was the only one who caught the noahs ark/evan almighty refrence??
But yeah so down to day another jam session!!

NukeDOC
02-04-2009, 08:34 AM
doing it indoors would be great. especially nowadays. but with the HUGE turnouts we get at these things its going to be difficult for us to find a place that will accomodate us while staying in the capacity. dont wanna get shut down by the fire marshall.

things to think about when doing it indoors:
1. if it is a store, we have to make it worthwhile to the establishment. the moonlight strummers do it in a pizza joint. they pay to come, but they get pizza and drinks.
2. if it is a hall, someone would have to come up with the funds to rent the place. again, for that to work, everyone in attendance would have to chip in.
3. do you wanna charge the participants to participate?

this is the major reason why i did them outdoors. people that wanted to bring something did. and we always had enough to go around. people that couldnt afford to chip in could still participate.

tribal_theory1
02-05-2009, 11:18 AM
How about a BBQ/Jam Sesh at Rohr Park? The ideal setup would be to reserve section R-3 (http://www.chulavistaca.gov/City_Services/Community_Services/Public_Works_Operations/Parks/picnic_area.asp#R3). Any other area would be too big or too small.The rental fee for residents of Chula Vista is $90 with a $75 Deposit. For non-residents it's $180 for the rental with a $75 deposit. Maybe we could have a resident/group of residents front the cost and pass around a bucket at the actual event for people to drop some cash in. If we go over the rental fee, somebody (preferably a dedicated organizer ::cough::Nuke::cought::) could save the overage for the next get together. $90 is chump change if we have a group pay for it. We could play some football or basketball. It would be an all day thing. How's that sound? :shaka:

Uke_Windu
02-06-2009, 10:39 AM
How about a BBQ/Jam Sesh at Rohr Park? The ideal setup would be to reserve section R-3 (http://www.chulavistaca.gov/City_Services/Community_Services/Public_Works_Operations/Parks/picnic_area.asp#R3). Any other area would be too big or too small.The rental fee for residents of Chula Vista is $90 with a $75 Deposit. For non-residents it's $180 for the rental with a $75 deposit. Maybe we could have a resident/group of residents front the cost and pass around a bucket at the actual event for people to drop some cash in. If we go over the rental fee, somebody (preferably a dedicated organizer ::cough::Nuke::cought::) could save the overage for the next get together. $90 is chump change if we have a group pay for it. We could play some football or basketball. It would be an all day thing. How's that sound? :shaka:

that sounds like a damn good idea...i would chip in for that for sure

mmanalo
02-06-2009, 12:43 PM

Hell yeah, Sounds good to me. I would definately chip in for the fees and setting up as well. Maybe it'll be a good time to start a ukulele club and have it annually? I'm down to help with whatever! Keep me informed!

thesoobz
02-06-2009, 12:56 PM
i would chip in for sure! and uhh im so down for the football.! HAHAHAHAA BRING IT MANNG

ricdoug
02-07-2009, 11:12 AM
things to think about when doing it indoors:

1. if it is a store, we have to make it worthwhile to the establishment. the moonlight strummers do it in a pizza joint. they pay to come, but they get pizza and drinks.

Everybody orders alacarte there now, Arvin. The club collects $2 bucks for dues.

2. if it is a hall, someone would have to come up with the funds to rent the place. again, for that to work, everyone in attendance would have to chip in.

The Wind an' Sea ukulele club meets at the VFW near La Jolla. There is no charge to use it. Being that you're a veteran, Arvin, you might want to approach them. All ages are welcome and they also have a bar for adult beverages and a full kitchen.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/windanseauke .

3. do you wanna charge the participants to participate?

this is the major reason why i did them outdoors. people that wanted to bring something did. and we always had enough to go around. people that couldnt afford to chip in could still participate.

The Wind an' Sea group does not charge anything. USA and Moonlight both have $2 buck dues to cover minor operating expenses.

ricdoug
02-07-2009, 11:24 AM
...also, many public libraries have free rooms for such events. The new Encinitas library has rooms that hold several hundred. Cities LOVE having community ukulele groups that play for them at public functions. You get lots of perks when you're "in the band". If you like, you could start another chapter of the Ukulele Society of America

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ukulele_Society_of_America

You can still name your group any thing you want. This gives you a little bit of organizational structure, bylaws and a large songbook (downloadable from the website) from the jump. Believe me, it's nothing formal, but it helps immensely when approaching establishments/restaurants to use their facilities. Pizza parlors and Island restaurants will let you use their facilities for free on their slow business nights with the expectation that some of you will eat while there. When you approach these establishments, you're selling them the concept of bringing them new business. I helped form a new ukulele club in Carlsbad last year. We have almost 300 members, now.

whatevsalex
02-08-2009, 07:34 PM

that sounds awesome and i would definitely contribute to that bucket of yours! keep me posted.. i missed the past few but hopefully i can make this one :D

NukeDOC
02-09-2009, 05:32 AM
wow a lot of support and a lot of good ideas! ric, thanks for clearing some of things up and giving us some great ideas for the next possible get together.

now, guys... like i said, ive been extremely busy. so to be honest, right now, puting something like this together is just not a priority. work and family have to come first, and that takes up enough planning time.

so now im asking for someone else to step up and take the reigns on this. i will most definitely do my best to participate, but i just cannot commit myself to the planning of it at this time. seriously. please. somebody get this going!

tribal_theory1
02-09-2009, 06:38 AM
The Rohr Park idea seems it's getting good feedback so far, and I really think we could make this thing a great success. My girlfriend lives in Chula Vista, so she could get the reduced rates. I'm willing to front the cost of the rental, but money's tight so I probably won't be able to get a reservation till late March/Early April. I've never really organized an event, so that's another little bump in the road.

Okay, so I'm down to do this. In order to do this right, I want to give this enough time to get organized. I think April 18, 19, 25 or 26 would be good dates. I'd like to make this a morning-early afternoon event. Maybe we could do a 10am-whenever everybody leaves time slot. That gives a lot of time for cooking and prep, for people to show up, and to enjoy other activities.

Maybe if we could get an agreement of the date, we can get this thing goin. If you're interested in the Rohr Park idea, please respond to this thread with your pick of the above dates. Majority vote at the end of 2 weeks time will save the date. After that time and before we start an official thread, I'd like to:

a) Get an RSVP so we have a good idea of how many people will be there.
b) Get people to commit to bringing food & drinks. (beer in cans is allowed at the park, btw)
c) Have a few people help organizing/coordinating ideas/activities.

If we start this now, we can get more people from the SoCal area to clear their schedules and partake in the festivities. Maybe we could start an Annual/Semi-annual Ukulele Underground SoCal Picnic. Rohr Park is awesome, and there's lots of space. We could maybe have some people bring in some drums and things. If you're down to do this, and if this goes the way I think it will go, IT'S GONNA ROCK SOCKS! :shaka:

NukeDOC
02-09-2009, 06:58 AM
dom, first of all, lemme say you are awesome for doing this! thank you so much!

if this is planned that far out in advance, i can pretty much guarantee i will be in attendance. the time sounds good too. ill be able to bring the kids. cant wait! as of right now... COUNT ME IN!

tribal_theory1
02-09-2009, 07:14 AM
dom, first of all, lemme say you are awesome for doing this! thank you so much!

if this is planned that far out in advance, i can pretty much guarantee i will be in attendance. the time sounds good too. ill be able to bring the kids. cant wait! as of right now... COUNT ME IN!

Arvin, if you're willing, I'd like to have you as one of the co-organizers of the event. I know you don't have too much spare time for planning and things, but you've planned get-togethers before. Your guidance, if anything, would be a great help to me. Whaddaya say?

NukeDOC
02-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Arvin, if you're willing, I'd like to have you as one of the co-organizers of the event. I know you don't have too much spare time for planning and things, but you've planned get-togethers before. Your guidance, if anything, would be a great help to me. Whaddaya say?

you got it bro ill try my best to help wherever i can! you got my number!

tribal_theory1
02-09-2009, 07:48 AM
This could be awesome. I'm even going to look into sponsors for the event. I've contacted Mana from Polynesian Underground, and Kai&I Radio. I'll get a response from them soon, hopefully. I really want this to be HUGE, and I KNOW it will be!!! Come one Ukuelele Underground! Let's do dis!

mmanalo
02-09-2009, 08:40 PM
The Rohr Park idea seems it's getting good feedback so far, and I really think we could make this thing a great success. My girlfriend lives in Chula Vista, so she could get the reduced rates. I'm willing to front the cost of the rental, but money's tight so I probably won't be able to get a reservation till late March/Early April. I've never really organized an event, so that's another little bump in the road.

Okay, so I'm down to do this. In order to do this right, I want to give this enough time to get organized. I think April 18, 19, 25 or 26 would be good dates. I'd like to make this a morning-early afternoon event. Maybe we could do a 10am-whenever everybody leaves time slot. That gives a lot of time for cooking and prep, for people to show up, and to enjoy other activities.

Maybe if we could get an agreement of the date, we can get this thing goin. If you're interested in the Rohr Park idea, please respond to this thread with your pick of the above dates. Majority vote at the end of 2 weeks time will save the date. After that time and before we start an official thread, I'd like to:

a) Get an RSVP so we have a good idea of how many people will be there.
b) Get people to commit to bringing food & drinks. (beer in cans is allowed at the park, btw)
c) Have a few people help organizing/coordinating ideas/activities.

If we start this now, we can get more people from the SoCal area to clear their schedules and partake in the festivities. Maybe we could start an Annual/Semi-annual Ukulele Underground SoCal Picnic. Rohr Park is awesome, and there's lots of space. We could maybe have some people bring in some drums and things. If you're down to do this, and if this goes the way I think it will go, IT'S GONNA ROCK SOCKS! :shaka:

Sweet..you got some good conections! Well I'm definately down to participate in making this happen in anyway! I agree with the annually thing as well...even a club maybe? I know 1 guy who has a drum set and I'll talk to him to see if he's willing to come down and participate. After we get a for sure thing text me if ya want maybe we can all meet up for a brief meeting to get things rolling! Here's my celly...619-277-8214

ricdoug
02-09-2009, 10:00 PM
even a club maybe? I know 1 guy who has a drum set and I'll talk to him to see if he's willing to come down and participate. After we get a for sure thing text me if ya want maybe we can all meet up for a brief meeting to get things rolling!

I have two sets of stand mounted bongo's and a djembe that i can bring. World percussion is more suitable for ukulele music than a standard trap drumset. I also have a Carvin S400D 100 watt 4 channel P.A. that will run 6 hours on battery power. A battery powered bass amp and 6 battery powered Guitar amps that will all run over 8 hours on battery power. This will help project the sound outdoors. Ric

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Ukulele514.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Ukulele513.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Ukulele529.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3261/2802115577_61974b815c.jpg

tribal_theory1
02-10-2009, 08:52 AM
I have two sets of stand mounted bongo's and a djembe that i can bring. World percussion is more suitable for ukulele music than a standard trap drumset. I also have a Carvin S400D 100 watt 4 channel P.A. that will run 6 hours on battery power. A battery powered bass amp and 6 battery powered Guitar amps that will all run over 8 hours on battery power. This will help project the sound outdoors. Ric

The bongos and djembes would be cool, the drumset is probably a little excessive. The PA system would be great if it was allowed. Unfortunately, it's against the rules. Amplified music and "Loud Noise" is against park rules and regulations of the park. I really don't think ukulele/guitar and hand drums would be considered amplified music or loud noise.

wearymicrobe
02-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Keep me in the loop and will do my best to make it out.

NukeDOC
02-10-2009, 09:24 AM
The bongos and djembes would be cool, the drumset is probably a little excessive. The PA system would be great if it was allowed. Unfortunately, it's against the rules. Amplified music and "Loud Noise" is against park rules and regulations of the park. I really don't think ukulele/guitar and hand drums would be considered amplified music or loud noise.

thats right. amplified music outdoors requires a permit. any permits=more money. that park is so huge that acoustically played instruments, including world percussions, wouldnt carry out far enough to be bothersome to anyone. while running at rohr (when i used to exercise still) people could blast their radios, and you could barely hear it from the street.

full drum set... not gonna fly.

whatevsalex
02-11-2009, 01:30 PM
for rohr park... i vote april 18 haha
ill throw some money your way if we can get a confirmed date and i can go!
keep me posted.

UkePanda
02-11-2009, 09:44 PM
im in!! SD's gotta represent!

dafamcallsmebj
02-12-2009, 03:29 PM
yo dom!!
the 18th morning early afternoon is cool wid me!!
i could even bring some food and stuff to grill... whatevs!!
i can bring charcoal, fluid, utensils, and even a grill if need!!
jus lemme know n shee!!

tiki_ink
02-13-2009, 03:13 PM
I'm down for the 18th.

AnthonyUkulele
02-14-2009, 08:45 PM
4 days after im 18!!!!! WOO IM DOWN FOO SHO

tribal_theory1
02-19-2009, 05:10 AM
anybody else in SoCal wanna get a vote in? :shaka:

tribal_theory1
02-19-2009, 07:34 AM
any way we can get this thread re-named to SoCal? I think people might be skipping the thread because it's got kind of an "exclusive" sounding thread title.

NukeDOC
02-19-2009, 08:02 AM
lemme try...

ok done.

SeLF InfLIctED
02-19-2009, 09:35 PM
sup fellow jammers. just got into this . was reading bout the session you all trying to put together. sounds like a date. just had a three man session in SD last weekend. felt good. been a while since one of those. i jam a mele concert. self taught and all. not too shabby. but would like to be exposed to different levels. im in southern riverside county. got cousins just down the way but everyone has different work schedules . no time to jam.

Howie1947
02-20-2009, 03:34 AM
Count me in if work does not interfere. I live in the Easlake area of Chula Vista........Plese keep me updated........Howie

generem
02-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Im down for April 18th... I can pitch it a some $$$ or bring food / drinks...

thesoobz
02-20-2009, 09:13 AM
HOLLLLA! i know i been mia. BUT HOLLA which means im down. HAHAHA
OTAY!!! k ill stop.

AnthonyUkulele
03-03-2009, 03:35 PM
another fliar should be made soo we can post it up...i got a few of my friends to go to the jam cause of it =]

NukeDOC
03-04-2009, 07:28 AM
another fliar should be made soo we can post it up...i got a few of my friends to go to the jam cause of it =]
we still need to get some of the details set in stone. like where and when hahaha (we have an idea, but still nothing definite).

UKESTAR
03-04-2009, 09:57 AM
we still need to get some of the details set in stone. like where and when hahaha (we have an idea, but still nothing definite).

Flyer...did someone say flyer?? ;) What is going on UU?? I have still been jammin' just been super busy lately... Is there another jam sesh in the works o' wha'??

NukeDOC
03-04-2009, 10:14 AM
Flyer...did someone say flyer?? ;) What is going on UU?? I have still been jammin' just been super busy lately... Is there another jam sesh in the works o' wha'??
WHOA! the prodigal son has returned! hahaha wassup nate!

yeah, ive handed the reigns over to dom from tribal theory and he's got some great ideas lined up. just read through this thread. still nothing set in stone, but i hope things fall into place soon! this one sounds like its gonna be off the hook!

UKESTAR
03-04-2009, 11:15 AM
WHOA! the prodigal son has returned! hahaha wassup nate!

yeah, ive handed the reigns over to dom from tribal theory and he's got some great ideas lined up. just read through this thread. still nothing set in stone, but i hope things fall into place soon! this one sounds like its gonna be off the hook!

look forward to the jam sesh..

SeLF InfLIctED
03-07-2009, 08:50 PM
was just wondering if the sesh was definite. just told a couple of cousins bout it. atleast one going. hey...... have a buddy at work that use to think that da uke was just a toy. till he saw my mele and flipped. i think this can be one to turn him.

mmanalo
03-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Well it looks like me and da boyz gonna throw a lil jam session soon.....we're all getting new ukes or some of us already got some this past weekend. I just bought a Kala Ka-ASMTEC off of ebay for a good price. It came with a hardshell case, fret board all dressed and Action ready all for 298 free shipping. So now I'm gonna purchase a Roland Micro Cube Amp since it runs on batteries as well. But I will keep you guyz updated. It'll probably be at one of the bay parks and host a little potluck or something! :rock:

SeLF InfLIctED
03-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Well it looks like me and da boyz gonna throw a lil jam session soon.....we're all getting new ukes or some of us already got some this past weekend. I just bought a Kala Ka-ASMTEC off of ebay for a good price. It came with a hardshell case, fret board all dressed and Action ready all for 298 free shipping. So now I'm gonna purchase a Roland Micro Cube Amp since it runs on batteries as well. But I will keep you guyz updated. It'll probably be at one of the bay parks and host a little potluck or something! :rock:

i have a mele concert with a fishman pickup. what you think will be a good amp for it? thanx

mmanalo
03-09-2009, 09:11 PM
i have a mele concert with a fishman pickup. what you think will be a good amp for it? thanx

Honestly I haven't had any experience playing with an amp other than da 2 times I did at the music shops. But for me since I'm starting out, i picked da Rolands Micro Cube since it runs on batteries as well...so it's pretty much portable! And Sounds real good to!

tribal_theory1
03-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Well, it looks like the 18th is the weiner. I've been having a little bit of trouble trying to save money to front the cost of the rental, though. I'm gonna try to get a sponsor to pay for the rental. I'll be starting an official thread the end of this week. :shaka:

mmanalo
03-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, it looks like the 18th is the weiner. I've been having a little bit of trouble trying to save money to front the cost of the rental, though. I'm gonna try to get a sponsor to pay for the rental. I'll be starting an official thread the end of this week. :shaka:

Keep me informed of what kind of funds needs to be donated. Maybe we'll have a group of guyz so we can spread da cost! hit me up for my cell phone so you can text or my email is mmanalo@iasair.com

:rotfl:

Bigg
03-17-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm down for this shin-dig. Malasadas for everybody!!! :)

mmanalo
03-17-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm down for this shin-dig. Malasadas for everybody!!! :)

Malasadas...lol, I aint had those in over how many years! Sweeeeeeet

generem
03-18-2009, 06:57 AM
So is April 18th gonna happen?

ricdoug
03-18-2009, 05:17 PM

I recommend the Vox DA5. Not only does it also run on batteries as well as AC, it has a seperate microphone input and seperate microphone volume comntrol. It has twice the power of the microcube and a larger speaker. Check out this review of battery powered amps:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5333&highlight=battery

tribal_theory1
03-19-2009, 11:18 AM
This is still going to happen on April 18th. I haven't been able to secure the space rental, however, because lack of my own fundage. Mana from Polynesian Underground (http://www.polynesianunderground.com) has agreed to front the rental fee, but he will be reimbursed at the end of the event with the "pass-the-cash" can. Leftover money will be put towards the next UU event in San Diego. I'll try to secure the space next week, then I'll post the official thread. :shaka:

NukeDOC
03-19-2009, 11:35 AM
This is still going to happen on April 18th. I haven't been able to secure the space rental, however, because lack of my own fundage. Mana from Polynesian Underground (http://www.polynesianunderground.com) has agreed to front the rental fee, but he will be reimbursed at the end of the event with the "pass-the-cash" can. Leftover money will be put towards the next UU event in San Diego. I'll try to secure the space next week, then I'll post the official thread. :shaka:

excellent work dom! this has the makings of a successful series turned dynasty. once again, thanks for taking the reigns from me!

anybody come up with a flyer?

generem
03-19-2009, 11:55 AM
sweet...:shaka:

Bigg
03-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Somebody should come up with a song list for everybody to know before the meet. That way there will be less teaching of songs needed. Not it. :)

ke leo
03-20-2009, 07:37 PM
What time? Later I hope!

deachisgay
03-20-2009, 09:54 PM
im tryna jam up in dago

watchmeuke
03-21-2009, 05:47 AM
i dont really know how far into the organization process of this event yall have gone, but my friends like to use this website a lot:

http://www.evite.com/

it just makes things a bit easier.

Nurdaben
03-21-2009, 11:22 AM
is this event gonna happen if so I would suggest ya start a new thread for signups . or is one already made that i missed.

BUGOY
03-21-2009, 11:29 AM
hang tight guys... its coming!

SeLF InfLIctED
03-23-2009, 10:36 PM
I recommend the Vox DA5. Not only does it also run on batteries as well as AC, it has a seperate microphone input and seperate microphone volume comntrol. It has twice the power of the microcube and a larger speaker. Check out this review of battery powered amps:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5333&highlight=battery

im gonna have to check that out then. my buddy gave me an electric guitar amp rikenbaucker that ive been messing with. its ok for now.thanx

SeLF InfLIctED
03-23-2009, 10:40 PM
never been to an event like this before. what should i be expecting? just so im not there all lost. post the funding an ill see what i can contribute

mmanalo
03-23-2009, 11:39 PM
Somebody should come up with a song list for everybody to know before the meet. That way there will be less teaching of songs needed. Not it. :)

I personally think it would be great to learn from one another! Sharing the wisdom and knowledge of da UKE!

Dilphat
03-24-2009, 10:05 PM
never been to an event like this before. what should i be expecting? just so im not there all lost. post the funding an ill see what i can contribute
no worries, lol we can be lost together with everyone else seemingly walking in the park lost.

count me in, might have to leave early for class though. lol

SeLF InfLIctED
03-24-2009, 10:42 PM
I personally think it would be great to learn from one another! Sharing the wisdom and knowledge of da UKE!

i got alot of learning to do. self taught and all i think ive come to the point where i need to learn from some one and not from the internet. really wanted to get the hang of scales. but anything else will do too.

NukeDOC
03-25-2009, 05:45 AM
i got alot of learning to do. self taught and all i think ive come to the point where i need to learn from some one and not from the internet. really wanted to get the hang of scales. but anything else will do too.

did you take a look at the "ukulele theory for noobs" sticky i put up in the beginners section? you might not be a noob, but if you follow that and understand each lesson before moving on to the next, scales will come so much easier. its not something that one can teach just in one day.

put it like this. ive been playing guitar for 15 years. only a year ago did i start to actually figure it all out. im not saying its going to take that long. but that lesson i put up is about a year's worth of weekly 1hr lessons when you take into account the time it takes to understand each section and to be able to apply it.

but still, please come down. i can sit down with you and others if they wish and go over it with you to at least set you in a good direction, after assessing your level of play. and if i say to you "get outa here! you dont belong here!" thats just my way of saying "you dont know it, and im not going to admit it, but youre better than me at this!" hahahaa

mmanalo
03-26-2009, 05:39 AM
did you take a look at the "ukulele theory for noobs" sticky i put up in the beginners section? you might not be a noob, but if you follow that and understand each lesson before moving on to the next, scales will come so much easier. its not something that one can teach just in one day.

put it like this. ive been playing guitar for 15 years. only a year ago did i start to actually figure it all out. im not saying its going to take that long. but that lesson i put up is about a year's worth of weekly 1hr lessons when you take into account the time it takes to understand each section and to be able to apply it.

but still, please come down. i can sit down with you and others if they wish and go over it with you to at least set you in a good direction, after assessing your level of play. and if i say to you "get outa here! you dont belong here!" thats just my way of saying "you dont know it, and im not going to admit it, but youre better than me at this!" hahahaa

OOOooOOhhhhHH.........can I learn! Seriously!

SeLF InfLIctED
03-26-2009, 10:18 PM

just did. and i think thats exactly the lesson ive been looking for. thanx. just read through the first couple lessons. but will definitely take the time to memorize. looking forward to meeting up at the session. then again whos who when you get there right. thanx again

tribal_theory1
03-27-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm picking the cash for the rental today. If I'm not able to secure the spot tonight or tomorrow, I'm going to have to wait till Monday. After that, I'll post the official thread. Hang in there guys. Sorry for being a bit slow about this. But we're for sure going to git'er done. :shaka:

mmanalo
03-27-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm picking the cash for the rental today. If I'm not able to secure the spot tonight or tomorrow, I'm going to have to wait till Monday. After that, I'll post the official thread. Hang in there guys. Sorry for being a bit slow about this. But we're for sure going to git'er done. :shaka:

Berrry niiiice

AnthonyUkulele
03-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Hard to decide...if there is going to be a party on the 18th for UFC 97, i might not show up...but if no one is going to host the event...im forsure gonna show up -.-...lets have it someones house and watch it while jamming LOL...

UkePanda
03-29-2009, 10:32 PM
i could bring my brother for another sax/Uke duet! live! xD

generem
04-02-2009, 05:29 PM
16 days before the 18th.. is this still gonna happen

wearymicrobe
04-03-2009, 04:00 AM
Hope so, I am going to do the 70 mile caner ride that day but I will make it.

tribal_theory1
04-03-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm reserving the spot today. The area I scouted was a lot more expensive that I expected. The deposit was $100 and the reservation fee was $120 so I would've had to pay $220 up front, and I don't have that much money to cover. Instead I've reserved area R-4 (http://www.chulavistaca.gov/City_Services/Community_Services/Public_Works_Operations/Parks/picnic_area.asp#R4). We can set up 3 of our own 10'x10' gazebos, so I don't think the space will be a problem. I will also bring some tables and chairs for our use, as well. Official post will be up later today. :shaka:

tribal_theory1
04-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Hard to decide...if there is going to be a party on the 18th for UFC 97, i might not show up...but if no one is going to host the event...im forsure gonna show up -.-...lets have it someones house and watch it while jamming LOL...

Shouldn't be a problem, we're going to start in the morning/early afternoon. You could do both! :D

BUGOY
04-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Awesome! the R-4 will do just fine! thanks again for doing this dom!:bowdown:

tribal_theory1
04-06-2009, 06:40 AM
please refer to this post (http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11731).

tribal_theory1
04-17-2009, 10:33 AM
alright, i'm hoping that everybody that voted for the date 4/18 still shows up. looking forward to tomorrow! :shaka: