PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Boobs

UkeCan1
12-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Okay, now that I have your attention.....

This is an actual thread that has been brewing over at the 94th Season of the Ukulele. It's a long story how it got started and what's been suggested so far. It starts here if you're interested: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?89857-Season-94-Opposite-Week&p=1439646#post1439646

The video (by "UkuleleMommy", the artist formerly known as UkuleleDaddy) that sparked the conversation is here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?89857-Season-94-Opposite-Week&p=1438882#post1438882

Until Sean asked his question and I (actually!) tested it, it had not occurred to me that the female anatomy poses an extra challenge for holding a uke securely and playing it optimally. And that it has been a critical component of my own uke-holding challenges.

Since last night, I've been messing with my strap configuration, trying to figure out a better way that eliminates pineapple-pineapple conflict.

So how 'bout it, Undies, how do you play with boobs?

I really want to know!

- Wendy

mds725
12-07-2013, 09:05 AM
I can't weigh in personally, but there have been some other discussions about this topic:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?55202-Boobs-vs-Ukulele-an-ancient-battle&highlight=boobs
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?14370-Boob-question-a-very-silly-problem&highlight=boobs
(These are two different threads, even though the abbreviated form of them looks the same.)

SailingUke
12-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Several members of my group are boobs,
they can't keep time or stay on melody, but we all accept them and move on.
I may have the wrong meaning of "boobs"

janeray1940
12-07-2013, 10:31 AM
These replies are cracking me up (I will *never* figure out how to play with group members who are boobs - fortunately they are few and far between!) but I'm assuming the OP really is looking for serious suggestions, so - here's what works for me. No pineapple-pineapple conflict here!

I play with a strap (Levy's mando strap) but I do this in order to have better control playing higher up the neck, not because of... ahem, anatomical issues. I actually think whether or not one has said issues depends entirely on body type - even without a strap, nothing gets in the way, but then I'm a fairly small person who plays a small uke - I would imagine size and shape of both person and ukulele could make a difference.

pwcgecko
12-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Thread title should probably be 'Playing Uke with Boobs'.

Rick Turner
12-07-2013, 11:10 AM
I've always kind of enjoyed playing with boobs...

lakesideglenn
12-07-2013, 11:17 AM
I've always kind of enjoyed playing with boobs...

Me too! LOL!

Wagster
12-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Sadly, I have nothing to contribute to this thread that would be of any help but as a "world-class" boob (and I think I can speak for boobs everywhere) I will be spending much time here in hopes that photos or videos demonstrating the approved method for boob-challenged ukulele players should appear.

And.....just a friendly reminder:

(if there ever was one......this is it!)

haolejohn
12-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Brad Donaldson created a model called "Amy" for this purpose.

Radio Flyer
12-07-2013, 12:02 PM
if Dolly Parton
can play a guitar any normal woman should be able to play a uke!

Lardy Fatboy
12-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Sadly, I have nothing to contribute to this thread that would be of any help but as a "world-class" boob (and I think I can speak for boobs everywhere) I will be spending much time here in hopes that photos or videos demonstrating the approved method for boob-challenged ukulele players should appear.

And.....just a friendly reminder:

(if there ever was one......this is it!)

Speaking as someone who has a larger boobs than most I'll post some pictures of me playing without a shirt on if that's what you really want? (so long as you don't expect to see me playing a steel body Resonator Uke - they are a bit cold against a bare chest!)

On a serious note (as this thread needs as many of those as possible) remember 1 in 500 cases of Brest Cancer is Man and the survival rate in men is worse because so many men don't think they can get it

justinlcecil
12-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Rick beat me to it.

mds725
12-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Brad Donaldson created a model called "Amy" for this purpose.

Here's more about Amy:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?35048-quot-Amy%94-Model-Long-Scale-Concert-Pineapple-by-Bradford-Donaldson&highlight=boobs

UkerDanno
12-07-2013, 01:58 PM
isn't that what the indentation is for? :shaka:

katysax
12-07-2013, 02:14 PM
As a woman with large boobs, I don't have a problem with uke. Just hold the uke up higher - which I think makes it easier to play anyway. If you watch Daniel Ho, for example, he holds his uke up pretty high. My boobs are actually helpful in supporting the uke. I call them my "boob shelf".

decaturcomp
12-07-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure the strumming might not be...muffled.

KnowsPickin
12-07-2013, 03:01 PM
You might check out some videos by the Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra. They certainly have some well endowed personnel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONdXu4JOn-g

Wagster
12-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Speaking as someone who has a larger boobs than most I'll post some pictures of me playing without a shirt on if that's what you really want? (so long as you don't expect to see me playing a steel body Resonator Uke - they are a bit cold against a bare chest!)

That's a sweet gesture, Fatboy and a wonderful idea! I don't personally have any preference for man-boobs, buts that's no reason to deny others (and yourself) the pleasure of showing off your girls. It would be a step in the right direction and it may inspire others to follow suit. Plus, your method of "ukulele boob management" might even provide some insight to the OP!

Again, I would like to be more helpful. I do recall one particularly hot Georgia afternoon. I was playing a very enthusiastic rendition of "Crazy G" and contracted a rather severe case of nipple rash. No photos to share of said nipple, but I can assure you it was quite painful. The moral there being "Always wear a shirt when you play Crazy G".

Katz-in-Boots
12-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Glad someone revived this issue, been wondering about it myself. I notice a lot of people play their uke really low, sitting on their laps almost whereas I hold mine really high on my boob. I was wondering whether I should try to hold the uke lower. Seems to me that a lot of people who hold their uke low tend to hunch over while playing?

wickedwahine11
12-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Glad someone revived this issue, been wondering about it myself. I notice a lot of people play their uke really low, sitting on their laps almost whereas I hold mine really high on my boob. I was wondering whether I should try to hold the uke lower. Seems to me that a lot of people who hold their uke low tend to hunch over while playing?

I do hold my tenor uke really low -- almost like playing a classical guitar where it rests on my left thigh. It does result in me hunching over (exacerbating my poor posture) but it makes playing a tenor a lot more comfortable. When I play my smaller uke, I use a Uke Leash on it to keep it high -- that also works.

bonesigh
12-07-2013, 04:32 PM
I'm with katysax. I love having the boob shelf. Makes me a better "player" :music: ←Look how high this one plays the uke, has to be a chick (: Oh, and btw I have one of those Brad Donaldson ukes on order but I've been waiting for it forever! Also I have to say a lot of people look down on us larger people but probably never give a thought to, maybe, we like it this way! My hubby married me just as I am. Though it would be nice to be a little smaller. I don't mind, no wait, I love who I am (:

Hippie Dribble
12-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Yep, I'm with Janet on this. I love playing with boobs, especially big ones.

consitter
12-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Yep, I'm with Janet on this. I love playing with boobs, especially big ones.

Whoops. I thought I was on the poho thread for a second.

cigarfan
12-08-2013, 12:52 AM
I have a beer belly shelf that works rather nicely! :)

Tudorp
12-08-2013, 01:10 AM
I assume most believe this to be a "woman" problem? Well, being a large guy, I have more boob than many women, so I feel your pain. I simply nestle it in-between, or play with it lower boobs resting on top. ;) If any of the ladies would like me to help them position them correctly, email me..

Barbablanca
12-08-2013, 01:40 AM
I once played a 3000 guitar in a local shop. It was a single piece (neck and body) had two jack outputs so you could get an acoustic and an electric sound simultaneously - but most curiously it had a moulded concave back. I asked the dealer what that was for. He replied: "This is not the price range for a young man setting out in the world. It's aimed at guys like you in your fifties. And most of you have got a gut sticking out front. This fits perfectly into the average beer belly!" And it did. Design genius. However, I'm still an anti-materialist hippy, at heart, who has never earned the kind of bucks that would have led me to walk out of the shop with a 3000 guitar. So, it was back to ukes ;)

PhilUSAFRet
12-08-2013, 04:17 AM
A pre-occupation of mine since my early teens.

bonesigh
12-08-2013, 04:50 AM
:rofl: This thread is hilarious (; Could use a laugh today. I'm very disappointed that both my activities for today were cancelled due to snow. I was going to play for the SPCA again today for their bazaar. Yesterday was fantasticly fun! Plus we were having our Christmas party for my uke club at the winery that we go to each quarter. Sigh, guess I'll just have to decorate that naked tree that's been neglected sitting in my living room. Maybe I should hang a couple of "things" on it. Might make me feel better.

OldePhart
12-08-2013, 05:57 AM

I don't have any ukes with boobs - where can I get one?

OldePhart
12-08-2013, 06:02 AM
... I use a Uke Leash on it to keep it high -- that also works.

I wasn't aware that the Uke Leash is available in hemp...please, somebody stop me...the ice storm and being trapped inside with three rambunctious grandkids is driving me over the edge!

John

OldePhart
12-08-2013, 06:04 AM
I'm not sure the strumming might not be...muffled.

Not to mention very, very painful...

coolkayaker1
12-08-2013, 06:29 AM

There in your local music store, right next to the G-strings.

iamesperambient
12-08-2013, 06:34 AM
if Dolly Parton
can play a guitar any normal woman should be able to play a uke!

it's said that the proper position for playing uke for a lady is to play lower down
on her body anyway as opposed to up high like men, which avoids the breast issues
getting in the way anyway.

RobinMS
12-08-2013, 06:47 AM
I was hoping for actual help with holding a uke comfortably, but of course the conversation immediately devolved into the high school boys' locker room. Guys, a person can feel self-conscious enough just figuring out how to ask this question, and the "jokes" don't help. i do appreciate the suggestions about where to hold the uke, straps, etc.

iamesperambient
12-08-2013, 06:56 AM
I was hoping for actual help with holding a uke comfortably, but of course the conversation immediately devolved into the high school boys' locker room. Guys, a person can feel self-conscious enough just figuring out how to ask this question, and the "jokes" don't help. i do appreciate the suggestions about where to hold the uke, straps, etc.

I just posted above

"it's said that the proper position for playing uke for a lady is to play lower down
on her body anyway as opposed to up high like men, which avoids the breast issues
getting in the way anyway."

if you are female you are supposed to hold it below the breasts
like a guitar more or less buy a strap or one of those uke leesh
things and play it low and if your not performing live than
why not just play it sitting down low below your breasts?

Gillian
12-08-2013, 07:23 AM
I disagree about holding the uke below the breasts. They would get in the way of seeing the uke and having one perched in the space between the upper and lower bouts is not a good look.

Unless a gal is wearing a stiff, pointed bustier like Madonna, there is no problem in holding a uke at boob level.

"Ta-ta" for now.

bnolsen
12-08-2013, 07:24 AM

It *is* the internet. Don't be shocked by what you might see, no matter how inappropriate. The thread title doesn't help. You could also possibly have looked at past threads on the subject and targeted a few folks to ask via private message. Sorry I have nothing constructive to add.

The Big Kahuna
12-08-2013, 07:24 AM

If you care to read back, I think you'll find the OP began the thread with a deliberate double entendre. Any expectation that the thread would evolve in a mature fashion is hopelessly optimistic.

The Big Kahuna
12-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Damn you bnolsen, you're a bounder, a cad and a downright dirty ninja-poster!

Tim Mullins
12-08-2013, 07:26 AM

The problem with holding a ukulele down low on your knee is that it doesn't work when standing. I use the Mobius Strap either sitting or standing so it is always held in the position I'm used to. It gives the added bonus of freeing both hands for playing. Here are pictures of my wife with the strap at three different length adjustments. She said that all three were comfortable.

Hope this helps,

Tim M

http://www.mobiusstrap.com/img/IMG_0950.jpg

http://www.mobiusstrap.com/img/IMG_0951.jpg

http://www.mobiusstrap.com/img/IMG_0952.jpg

iamesperambient
12-08-2013, 08:04 AM
I disagree about holding the uke below the breasts. They would get in the way of seeing the uke and having one perched in the space between the upper and lower bouts is not a good look.

Unless a gal is wearing a stiff, pointed bustier like Madonna, there is no problem in holding a uke at boob level.

"Ta-ta" for now.

I would assume it depends on the person and how large their breasts are to determine that factor. Its also a personal thing. Like how the bassist from nirvana always played his bass so low like dangling by his knee caps, and i play my guitars/basses/electric ukes up high like how the beatles played the its easier to reach and feels 'right' to me. Each person has their own preference for their body and tastes.....theres really no right or wrong you just gotta experiment to find what works for you.

mds725
12-08-2013, 08:21 AM

I provided links to two older threads in post #2 in this thread. They contain a fair amount of useful information (and probably some gratuitous boob humor as well).

Meanwhile, check out how pathologically high on his body John Lennon (I know, he didn't have boobs) used to hold his guitar. Comfort necessarily varies from person to person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qMNE3TZGtA

iamesperambient
12-08-2013, 08:25 AM
I provided links to two older threads in post #2 in this thread. They contain a fair amount of useful information (and probably some gratuitous boob humor as well).

Meanwhile, check out how pathologically high on his body John Lennon (I know, he didn't have boobs) used to hold his guitar. Comfort necessarily varies from person to person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qMNE3TZGtA

actually what i said. I prefer to play my instruments up high
im very short also so the whole down low at the balls level just seems silly to me (and kind of has the instrument equivalent of wearing baggy pants which equally looks silly) but to each his own different strokes for different folks.

Hochapeafarm
12-08-2013, 08:27 AM
I was hoping for actual help with holding a uke comfortably, but of course the conversation immediately devolved into the high school boys' locker room.

+1 from me on the locker room part, RobynMS. I agree.

Guys & gals ~ this topic has been discussed plenty here in the past on UU from what I recall; that said, in addition to the suggestions on this thread, there are plenty of other UU threads also on this topic that are helpful and will assist in resolving the issue posed by UkeCan1. While I do have a good sense of humor, this is getting old. I vote to please close this thread and be done with it...time to move onto something new. I realize that no one asked for my opinion; just putting forth my two cents. Thanks for listening (reading). :)

UkeCan1
12-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Time for the "OP" to chime in here, briefly - I hope to respond in more detail at some point.

First of all, I started this thread to elicit two things:

1) Actual useful information to help me figure out the optimal way to actually hold, locate, support, and play my actual uke for optimal comfort, enjoyment, and playability

2) Entertainment, humor, hilarity

I posted with the obvious double entendre thread title for two reasons:

1) Because I figured the joke responses would be fun and provide me lots of laughter, which is also worthwhile and important, and

2) It was a marketing ploy of sorts. A thread title that draws attention is likely to keep the thread active and attract more responses, which also draws more actual useful information. Which it has.

I am more than satisfied on both counts. It's helping me work out my best solution, which I'll post when I get it fully functional. And I have rarely laughed out loud so many times in one day.

So thank you for both! Sorry if I (or anyone else in response to me) offended anyone or rehashed old conversations. (I'm new here, my first stringed instrument, since Aug 31, 2103.) I'm immensely appreciative of the links to previous threads on the subject, and to learn that this is indeed an issue for others (of both genders, apparently), that it's been solved by many, that it's solvable, and that I am not alone.

This community rocks, and I love you all.

- Wendy

Paul December
12-08-2013, 10:45 AM
I disagree about holding the uke below the breasts. They would get in the way of seeing the uke ...

Seeing the uke?
You have your priorities mixed-up.

The Big Kahuna
12-08-2013, 11:03 AM
If it's a Baritone Uke, I think Eugene would like an introduction.

PhilUSAFRet
12-08-2013, 11:26 AM

Holy crap, they make ukes with boobs?

coolkayaker1
12-08-2013, 11:49 AM
I vote to please close this thread and be done with it...time to move onto something new. :)

And I vote that you stop clicking this thread if it bothers you, rather than trying to police what I and everyone else reads.

I, actually, learned that women's physiques can be an impediment at times to comfortable ukulele holding. I appreciate this more because of this thread (although I was aware of it, only vaguely, from a couple of past threads). The OP's attention-grabbing subject line (there's no other way to take it; I'm just glad a woman wrote it), and double entendre initial post, besides begetting some great humor, has once again brought this meaningful topic to many. I applaud the tenor of the initial post, and the fun comments from the many in this fine family of ukulele enthusiasts.

Wagster
12-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Thanks Wendy, for your last post. I think it put some minds at ease, including mine. Indeed, there are plenty of "serious" threads around here. Enough to satisy even the severely anal. If you can't have fun with a thread like this, then you just can't have fun period (immature locker room humor withstanding). And I did admit up front that I was a boob. A good thump on the ear is all that's needed to set me right. (And I was serious about wearing a shirt when playing "Crazy G". Especially for you ladies. Nipple rash is no laughing matter!)

I have the utmost respect and admiration for John Lennon. He is on my short list of favorite musicians. So I want to clarify a point here. He DID have one boob. Her name was Yoko Ono.

One last bullet before I put my childishness in time out. So far, this thread has evoked the words "boobs", "balls" and "anal".

Just sayin.....

cigarfan
12-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Holy crap, they make ukes with boobs?

They don't call em' Moore Bettah for nothin!

Gillian
12-08-2013, 01:52 PM
And I vote that you stop clicking this thread if it bothers you, rather than trying to police what I and everyone else reads.

I, actually, learned that women's physiques can be an impediment at times to comfortable ukulele holding. I appreciate this more because of this thread (although I was aware of it, only vaguely, from a couple of past threads). The OP's attention-grabbing subject line (there's no other way to take it; I'm just glad a woman wrote it), and double entendre initial post, besides begetting some great humor, has once again brought this meaningful topic to many. I applaud the tenor of the initial post, and the fun comments from the many in this fine family of ukulele enthusiasts.

:agree:

Now back to playing with my curvaceous and shapely beauties...all 7 of them!

UkeCan1
12-08-2013, 02:20 PM
There's tons I want to respond to individually on this thread, but here's the most important thing. I have come up with a highly satisfactory solution to my challenge, and I made a video of it, which you can see here (http://youtu.be/xVkpu7UdlkA).

http://youtu.be/xVkpu7UdlkA

Thanks infinitely to everyone here and on the Season 94 (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?89857-Season-94-Opposite-Week) thread, where the conversation began, for my new uke strap configuration, which now holds the uke stationary in a reasonably comfortable, playable location, without need for support from my arms and hands, and without excessive pressure on any sensitive chest parts. This has made it so much easier to play the thing. I am especially grateful to Seasonista UkuleleDaddy for opening my eyes to the problem, without which I might never have gotten here. Truly. Transformational.

The video above shows what I did, but before I made it, I wrote the following explanation. I now have two straps on my uke.

Previously I had one strap, attached behind where the body meets the neck (the Flea has a tiny plastic loop there, to which I attached a small loop of string to tie the strap to ... because the plastic loop was too small to thread the strap through). The other end was attached to the head, at the very end beyond the pegs. I put my right arm and head through the strap, partly because I have a hard time with things hanging directly on my neck, and partly because that made it sit better and be more stable and in a better location. But it sat much too far right, and required pressure and stabilization from my right forearm, and a bit from my left hand, which made it challenging to play.

I longed for a strap attached near the base of the uke, but there was no place to attach one there.

Yesterday, I added some Velcro near the base (at the very bottom of the upper side of the uke ... not under the base, because I don't want to give up the Flea's best feature - her flat bottom on which she stands upright!). And I moved the strap from middle and head to middle and base. I found it still worked best to put my right arm through it as well as my head. That worked a bit better, and enabled me to place the uke below the conflicting body part, and to free my right arm from support duty. But the uke still was not stationary.

So today I added the second strap. This one attaches at head and base. So I have two - middle to base, and head to base. I put right arm and head through both. And that works amazingly well. The uke is stable and stationary without any help from either arm or hand. Which leaves them free to play the blasted thing. And I can put the uke exactly where I want it. At the moment, it's still a bit high ... still pressing against the bottom of the right boob a bit. I may experiment with lowering it a bit more. But the most important location issue seems to me to be having it in a natural place and position for playing ... that is, the arms and hands need to function optimally.

So I'll keep experimenting to get it exactly right. But I'm really pleased with the results so far. Which you can see in the two music videos I made tonight, http://youtu.be/T0Kkv03dDag ("I Will") and http://youtu.be/efM1Usc2-bY ("You Won't").

So thanks again to everyone for both the entertainment value of this fun conversation, and especially for the actual useful support (pun intended) I got for my boobs and uke. So much better now!

I hope this has been equally helpful and/or entertaining for you all. Feel free to carry on if you wish. I will continue to laugh out loud at your jokes and learn from your info, but I already got what I came for.

- Wendy, Sue and Sue (the "girls"), and Tiki Uki (the uke)

Wagster
12-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Oh my.

Oh yes.

I knew it! I have a nose for these things. Videos!

Wendy, on behalf of boobs everywhere, thanks for being such a good sport. Your positive spin on "things" is refreshing. I truly enjoyed your videos. The ukulele playing was nice too. (btw, who was doing the singing? Great voice!)

Seriously, I'm glad you found what you were looking for. I did too. I bet there will be many boobs sighing in relief and thanking you (besides me) for your efforts . But I've loitered here for a dangerously long time now and need to scram. Fatboy is sure to be posting pics of his "girls" anytime now and my eyesight is already less than 20/20.

ichadwick
12-09-2013, 12:54 AM
Of course, I fell for the title, curious whether it referred to the female anatomy or some local musicians I know....

Captain America
12-09-2013, 03:50 AM
very cool finding a solution. I like the screaming-tiki uke.

Hms
12-09-2013, 04:45 AM
I think what is going on here is the headstock to base strap is doing the holding, the second shorter strap is providing additional friction, preventing the uke from rotating.
Could the same be done by adding a pad to the headstock strap?
Just an idea for you to try!
h

bnolsen
12-09-2013, 05:05 AM
Almost seems like she coudl just put a strip of hook velcro onto the back of that flea. It would stick just fine to her sweater.

Or to be more serious, they do sell friction strips just for the flea/fluke to keep them from sliding around.

For a flea I do like the look of jt shea's badge lanyard (and I like this song too). I guess I just need to fork out the 5USD to get a couple from staples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob-pJYWrVOs

Oh yeah and I hope jt doesn't think I'm calling him a boob by putting him on this thread.

OldePhart
12-09-2013, 06:52 AM
All of my smaller ukes (soprano, longneck soprano, concert) have a big circular patch of non-skid shelf liner attached to the back with 3M spray trim adhesive. That includes the KoAloha (instruments are meant to be played, regardless of the price/resale value). One word of warning - the trim adhesive did damage the finish on the back of my Kiwaya longneck soprano. Oh well, it plays great and I don't have to worry about it sliding all over. LOL

The Mainland finishes (both gloss and satin) seem impervious to the adhesive, as does the finish on the KoAloha.

John

peaceweaver3
12-09-2013, 10:45 AM
I do hold my tenor uke really low -- almost like playing a classical guitar where it rests on my left thigh. It does result in me hunching over (exacerbating my poor posture) but it makes playing a tenor a lot more comfortable. When I play my smaller uke, I use a Uke Leash on it to keep it high -- that also works.

I do the same and prefer to play sitting. I usually cross my right leg or have my foot on a stool, and prop the uke on my thigh. But I always, whether sitting or standing, use a Uke Leash - thanks Lori! I don't do this because of said issue really, but because I prefer the sound of a uke that is unmuffled by anything at all, including warm sweaters at this time of year. I also like the added support, especially for hour-long gigs.

janeray1940
12-09-2013, 12:27 PM
The video above shows what I did, but before I made it, I wrote the following explanation. I now have two straps on my uke.

That's great that you found a solution! When I replied I hadn't realized you played a Flea - those little guys are darned slippery with their plastic backs! I was about to suggest the following but someone already beat me to it:

Almost seems like she coudl just put a strip of hook velcro onto the back of that flea. It would stick just fine to her sweater.

Or to be more serious, they do sell friction strips just for the flea/fluke to keep them from sliding around.

Kamanaaloha
12-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Oh boy! playing with "snoobs" = fun

cannot play the ukulele using snoobs!

ample/perky...probably difficult to do...with short arms...it is like playing with a big opu<belly for u haole> only higher and closer to your face...but you can rest a beer on them/it...likely the same for snoobs...and ultimately resting an ukulele on them/it...same for ample and less perky.

as for average...probably similar to a dude with large pectoral muscles...on the knee held close...or on the pec/snoob held close if soprano...

just my opinion...and this is difficult to keep above board...i tried tho...just practice lots and do what works.

bborzell
12-10-2013, 04:32 PM
I applaud the manner in which the women Uke players here have addressed a real issue for them. Thanks to the internet, cooperative and thoughtful discussion can lead to sound solutions.

Had the internet been around when the Amazon archers were trying to overcome similar impediment issues, perhaps their final solution might not have been quite so dramatic.

ralphk
12-11-2013, 03:54 AM
After looks at a lot of options, and clearly planning on keeping my Flea, my personal solution for a strap is pretty simple. Drill a small hole in the body, thread a 1/8" leather shoe lace into it, and loop the other end to the head. This is a great solution for me and the Flea body is so sturdy that the hole is insignificant (as opposed to a high end wooden body. It would work for a Fluke too.

And the bottom remains flat.

(sorry for the blur at the head end)

Ralph

UkeCan1
12-11-2013, 05:31 AM
After looks at a lot of options, and clearly planning on keeping my Flea, my personal solution for a strap is pretty simple. Drill a small hole in the body, thread a 1/8" leather shoe lace into it, and loop the other end to the head. This is a great solution for me and the Flea body is so sturdy that the hole is insignificant (as opposed to a high end wooden body. It would work for a Fluke too.

And the bottom remains flat.

(sorry for the blur at the head end)

Ralph

Thanks, Ralph! Same Flea, even. I'd love to see a closeup of the hole and how you attached the strap there. I love my 2-strap solution and plan to keep it, but right now both straps are attached to that spot with Velcro, and I'd love a more permanent solution there. Thanks so much!

(Thanks to everyone else who's been offering ideas here too ... I haven't had time to reply to all, but I really appreciate all your thoughts and encouragement. The laughs too. :-) )

- Wendy

OldePhart
12-11-2013, 06:36 AM
One thing I've found that works well for attaching light straps to small ukes is the Command brand hangers. They are available in various sizes and applications (hook shapes). I use small ones that fit between the tuners behind the head stock to hold that end of the strap on my tenors (the other end has strap buttons because both of the tenors have pickups). They hold pretty well and can be released easily without leaving behind any residue.

This year we used them for hanging Christmas decorations around the walls, too...

John

bnolsen
12-11-2013, 06:53 AM
Thanks, Ralph! Same Flea, even. I'd love to see a closeup of the hole and how you attached the strap there. I love my 2-strap solution and plan to keep it, but right now both straps are attached to that spot with Velcro, and I'd love a more permanent solution there. Thanks so much!

Looks like he used the same method you use for stringing through a bridge. Push the end through until you can snatch it through the sound hole, tie a knot there and pull it back through.

I'm feeling pretty left out, it almost seems like everyone has tiki king fleas.

UkeCan1
12-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Looks like he used the same method you use for stringing through a bridge. Push the end through until you can snatch it through the sound hole, tie a knot there and pull it back through.

I'm new here, and have never strung strings, but that makes sense!

I'm feeling pretty left out, it almost seems like everyone has tiki king fleas.

Haha, I think far from "everyone", but it does give me a bit of a thrill to see others with the same uke as me. I didn't really choose mine, I bought her used. Fun to see her brethren out there!

lelouden
12-11-2013, 08:04 PM
I came across this vid and man can she play with boobs. For your viewing pleasure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyPuQu2Whh4

ralphk
12-12-2013, 04:00 AM
Wendy:

I just drilled a hole in the plastic body and threaded the 1/8" leather shoelace into it. Pushed enough in to get the end and tied off a simple knot. The length adjuster is one of the devices that you can find in the "Notions" section of WalMart or any sewing shop. I guess the hole is 1/8" in diameter.

Piece of cake, works and is very inexpensive.

ralphk
12-12-2013, 04:02 AM
I have not seen this technique before. Note the way this lady uses a sound hole strap over the neck and under the left arm. She looks very comfortable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knw2HpCmQe4

UkeCan1
12-12-2013, 05:35 AM
Wendy:

I just drilled a hole in the plastic body and threaded the 1/8" leather shoelace into it. Pushed enough in to get the end and tied off a simple knot. The length adjuster is one of the devices that you can find in the "Notions" section of WalMart or any sewing shop. I guess the hole is 1/8" in diameter.

Piece of cake, works and is very inexpensive.

Thanks, Ralph! Where do you put the length adjuster?

ralphk
12-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Wendy:

Look in the photo. After fitting one end of the shoelace into the hole, and tieing the not, the free end of the shoelace loops through the open headstock and makes a loop. Put the adjuster on the shoelace before you make the loop, then after making the loop, pass the end through the adjuster. This is a tight fit with two stands in the adjuster, but it will work. A single boot strap is quite long, 45" I think, and after setting the length for your comfort, cut off the excess. I suggest leaving a fair amount of excess shoelace available for final adjustment, but shortly you will find the proper uke position and cut the excess. I think the photo shows the concept.

UkeCan1
12-13-2013, 05:42 AM
Oh, there, I see it. Thanks so much! Gonna go poke a hole in my uke now. :-)

IamNoMan
12-16-2014, 06:03 AM
Hey Wendy, You asked for comments on your updated Strapping video. I didn't go all through the threads to see if its posted here. If not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&amp;v=x2KTgLe9G1M OK that's better.

Comments: The video itself is excellently made, well excuted, informative, and handles the drift aspects of a thread with this kind of title.

I like that you took the time to explain about the tools you use and your emphasis that you are dealing with plastic not wood here. In fact the only distraction in the video was the bulkiness of the knots you are using to connect the uke to the straps. I know this is a minor thing but It distracted me from your message. The intermediate loops in an of themselves are a great idea.

Your advice about standing up to sing/play is outstanding. Always stand when you are singing, if at all possible. It improves your singing in every way. I love to sing but only have one leg to stand on. Manipulating an instrument on one leg, singing and maintaining a rapport with the audience is something I cannot do for very long.

Over the years I have come up with a solution you might experiment with. I use a stool. I discovered that when your feet sit flat on the ground and your butt is seated comfortably but forward on the stool the proper stool height is about the same as the American inseam size on your pants. This may have to be modified somewhat for most people because my legs are two different lengths. I find that making two separate shortening operations has been more successful than "Measure twice cut once - still to short". You can always take more off later if you need to.

Too short means its too difficult to rise to the occasion from the stool. Feet flat on the ground means it is easier to keep time with your feet.

Thank you again Wendy for taking the time to make this adaptive uke playing Video.

BTW: The only problem with a stool is when you stop playing and take a break one of the Boobs your Playing with Steals Your Stool!

Pukulele Pete
12-16-2014, 06:24 AM
How about a 3 or 4 inch hole in the back on the lower bout , and you eliminate the need for a strap .

UkeCan1
12-16-2014, 06:34 AM
IamNoMan, thanks so much for your thoughtful comments, and for posting my update video (http://youtu.be/x2KTgLe9G1M)! I meant to post it here myself back in August when I made it ... looks like I forgot to do that.

I love that you've come up with a solution that works for you and your own body configuration / challenges. Every human body is unique, so what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. I think my particular solution can be useful for many who struggle with similar challenges to mine ... which was one point of sharing my videos.

Others may need to put some thought into what their own individual needs and challenges are, and devise something different that works for them. And that was my other main point in posting. Until UkuleleDaddy mentioned the "boob challenge" in his drag video - and until I tested it out myself - it hadn't even occurred to me that my uke positioning and strapping still wasn't fully working on me.

So hopefully these videos will help others to ask themselves how well their system is working for them, whether it could be working better, and if so, how. And then to do something about it.

I'm tremendously grateful to UD and his drag video for getting me to think about that in the first place! I'm so much happier playing my uke since I did this ... and I was pretty happy then.

Re stool - that would never work for me, for all the reasons I mentioned in this video and this thread - including that then I wouldn't be standing, which you mentioned. I want the uke to be held solidly exactly where I want it, without requiring any part of my body to actively hold it. That's going to be my goal with every new uke I play. I don't see how to do that without straps.

I totally agree with you about the ugly bulky knots! I should fix that. :)
(And they are so much better than what I had in the first video (http://youtu.be/xVkpu7UdlkA). :))

UkeCan1
12-16-2014, 06:37 AM
How about a 3 or 4 inch hole in the back on the lower bout , and you eliminate the need for a strap .

Haha ... you mean have the boob itself hold the uke in place? :rofl:
That might work for a younger, better endowed woman than me - I'm pretty sure ... um ... mine would not do that. :)

VegasGeorge
12-16-2014, 08:28 AM
This thread has got me thinking. Women are already all strapped up in their over the shoulder boulder holders, so why do they need more straps just to hold a Ukulele? Wouldn't a combination bra, and Ukulele strap make sense? You could even set it up to work as a drink holder for times when you don't need the Ukulele. This looks like a great opportunity for the foundation garment industry. I'm surprised that no one has jumped on this idea already. It seems the field is wide open!

Pukulele Pete
12-16-2014, 08:32 AM
From pictures I've seen of Hawaaiian women and ukuleles , they all appear to be topless. Maybe that is the answer.

UkeCan1
12-16-2014, 08:52 AM
This thread has got me thinking. Women are already all strapped up in their over the shoulder boulder holders, so why do they need more straps just to hold a Ukulele? Wouldn't a combination bra, and Ukulele strap make sense? You could even set it up to work as a drink holder for times when you don't need the Ukulele. This looks like a great opportunity for the foundation garment industry. I'm surprised that no one has jumped on this idea already. It seems the field is wide open!

Heck, why not just build the uke right into the bra? Or into a t-shirt? Or put velcro on the front of the shirt and back of the uke?
Really, guys. I am clearly an instrument holder innovator (http://youtu.be/UUE8HitTg2U). You should not put ideas like this into my head unless you mean it.

UkeCan1
12-16-2014, 08:57 AM
From pictures I've seen of Hawaaiian women and ukuleles , they all appear to be topless. Maybe that is the answer.

Younger, better endowed, and better climate.
I am not trying that in New Jersey in December.
I can see why that idea might appeal to some folks here though.
Not the folks they are actually suggesting should try it, of course.
I think perhaps you should not propose ideas you are not willing (or able) to demonstrate yourself.

Okay, you guys. This is not about the boobs. It's about better ukulele playing.
I know I started it, but it really is about that.
The boob jokes are fun ... and there is also actual usefulness in this thread.

coolkayaker1
12-16-2014, 10:48 AM
I must admit, this thread sure has some legs.

Debby
12-16-2014, 01:01 PM

Thanks for that laugh! I needed it. It was a little painful, since I'm sick with a bad cold... But it was worth it.

KnowsPickin
12-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Here is a link to a video by Raggy Ragsdale on uke strapping techniques. He goes from a really heavy duty strap normally used for heavy guitars to his usual go-to uke strap setup. His go-to strapping method is a couple of lanyards around his neck with Velcro attached to the ends. These velcros attach to velcros attached to the instrument where ever they work best. Actually, most of the time he just uses a single lanyard. Whatever works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fymOgH148DA

Good luck. We want you to have happy boobs. :)

CeeJay
12-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Okay, now that I have your attention.....

So , how do you play with boobs?

I really want to know!

- Wendy

Oh ? Really ?.....f'narrrr f'narrrrrrrr (which is English for a "dirty laugh")....

No I could not possibly say :stop: this is really too much like leaning on an open door.....or a non existent bar flap (Fools and Horses).

:smileybounce::smileybounce:

Inksplosive AL
12-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Oh uncle raggys uke lanyard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od_XJPTvxOs

CeeJay
12-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Oh uncle raggys uke lanyard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od_XJPTvxOs

I still don't understand straps for ukeleles..*sigh* us dinosaurs of the second wave I suppose......I understand boobs though .......

Down Up Dick
12-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Roy Smeck and others often played their Ukes behind their backs. Maybe that's the answer. :old:

Fred Ukestone
12-16-2014, 04:57 PM
What about making a ukulele with a triple bout (ie two dips on the top of the body of the uke) !! That could solve a couple of problems.

I think as long as you don't try to run and play the ukulele at the same time, the ukulele should remain in one piece.:shaka:

SteveZ
12-17-2014, 03:59 AM
On a semi-serious note, size matters.

Again, seriously... Some baritone ukes are not far from being the size of a parlor (or larger) guitar. I would not consider trying to play my tenor guitar standing up without a strap, and can understand why a stand-up player would consider (or need) to strap a tenor/baritone uke, especially if connected directly to an amp.

The smaller the physical stature of the player, the larger each uke feels to the player. So, a stand-up player (especially amped) just needs to decide what's the most comfortable under the circumstances.

In the meantime, the OP has inspired greater viewing of her videos......

sam13
12-17-2014, 04:55 AM
I prefer not to refer to my band mates as Boobs ... some are rhythmically challenged, one is tone deaf ... but they are "musicians". LOL

aarondminnick
12-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Hi Wendy--I don't know if this is helpful at all, but here is an example of a mandolin player that one would assume had worked with this challenge on her instrument! She's quite an amazing player, actually. She seems to make no special accommodation at all--just kind of squishes things together and off she goes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auCYxVJ0w_g

aarondminnick
12-23-2014, 09:31 AM
Actually, reviewing the video--and in all seriousness--I think she has in fact accommodated her build. Most fretted string players hold their instruments more or less flat or parallel to the torso. I notice she holds the mandolin neck at an angle to her body, which I'll bet is an adaptation.

kypfer
12-23-2014, 12:29 PM
Actually, reviewing the video--and in all seriousness--I think she has in fact accommodated her build. Most fretted string players hold their instruments more or less flat or parallel to the torso. I notice she holds the mandolin neck at an angle to her body, which I'll bet is an adaptation.Not only that, but she does seem to have some sort of support bracket arrangement, behind the instrument, under her right arm and down to her right thigh ... nevertheless, exquisite playing :)

OregonJim
12-26-2014, 08:59 PM
Others may need to put some thought into what their own individual needs and challenges are, and devise something different that works for them.

Speaking of something different, how about mounting your uke on a microphone stand? That would eliminate all these problems. Just adjust the stand up/down for proper playing height. The instrument would be entirely free-standing and independent of any body issues...

UkeCan1
12-27-2014, 02:35 AM
Speaking of something different, how about mounting your uke on a microphone stand? That would eliminate all these problems. Just adjust the stand up/down for proper playing height. The instrument would be entirely free-standing and independent of any body issues...

Except for the issue of actually moving the body, lol! That's fine for someone who stands completely still while playing and singing. Which is terrible for singing and worse for performing and connecting with an audience. I hope none of you are doing that. If you've seen even one of my videos, well ... YouTube asks me quite regularly if I'd like to stabilize my "shaky" videos. (The camera is attached to the top of my computer, so guess what ... it's not the camera that's moving.)

Not to mention, that would eliminate a lot of side benefits of the straps, like "wearing" my uke at parties, and walking around ag fairs where people give me free food for playing for them, and I end up writing original songs because of it. And it would be only a matter of time, at the next music party, while I was in the kitchen fetching food, or in the bathroom, while the uke stood unattended and exposed on its mic stand in the crowded living room ... before disaster struck it while we were separated. Please don't anybody try this.

Y'all are very clever, but I came up with a fairly simple solution that I'm happy with, that others are trying and getting benefits from, and that other instruments, like guitars, already do easily and as a matter of course. Why are uke players as a community so strap-resistant? I promise a really good solid strap system will free you. Try it.

If you want to set those clever brains working on solutions, here are the two problems that I would still love to solve and am still working toward:

1) A way to easily remove and replace the straps, and switch them from one uke to another.

2) The position of this one is a thousand times better than it was "before strap", and it's solid, but it still sits a bit further to my right than I'd like. How to get it to sit exactly where my playing arms want to play?

Any acceptable solution to those two must maintain all the benefits this solution already has: holding the uke solidly in playing position without any support needed from hands, wrists, arms, etc., playing while standing, playing while moving, "wearing" the uke safely and securely while not playing, distributing the weight evenly and comfortably across the back (not hanging from the neck - ouch!).

PS, the boob thing was mostly to get your attention. It worked. I solved that problem the same day ... move the uke a bit lower so the convex parts of my chest don't push it away from where my arms want to be for optimal playing. I could have solved that by adjusting whatever solution I chose - it's a uke-positioning issue - where to position it. The remaining issues are no longer about that - mostly the straps are about uke-securing - how to hold it stably in the chosen position. But feel free to keep having fun with that ... yeah, boobs are funny and fun.

PS, size does not matter. Any unstrapped uke, regardless of size, even if you play sitting, requires some support from hands, arms, wrists to hold it in playing position. The bigger and heavier the uke, the more effort that requires, but for even the smallest lightest one it's still non-zero. My quest for a strap system began with the desire to eliminate that entirely. Surely every ounce of that effort you eliminate makes playing easier and more flexible ... so why would anyone argue against it? You personally may not feel the need for it ... but then, I didn't feel the need to move my uke away from my boob, until someone opened my eyes to that issue, and I tried it, and discovered it did indeed improve my experience. Just because you are used to a thing (using arms and hands to support your uke) does not mean it couldn't be better without that thing. Try it.

That was my main purpose in making these videos and starting this thread ... to open people's eyes to what they might be missing that could improve their experience, like mine had just been opened. I was all set to argue that boobs were not in fact in the way ... until I tested and discovered they were! So before you all are so quick to say why straps are not important, maybe try something like what I'm suggesting and see whether it makes a positive difference for you.

More importantly, for brand new players who are struggling and think it's them ... a good strap solution might just help you discover you can play just fine. It breaks my heart to see people not having the best possible time with their ukes ... and I strongly believe a good strap can improve the experience of any beginner instantly and profoundly. I too become a struggling beginner when I pick up an unstrapped uke. It's worth helping people solve that problem.

Happy Everything, friends!

IamNoMan
12-27-2014, 03:29 AM
Except for the issue of actually moving the body, lol! That's fine for someone who stands completely still while playing and singing. Which is terrible for singing and worse for performing and connecting with an audience. I hope none of you are doing that. If you've seen even one of my videos, well ... YouTube asks me quite regularly if I'd like to stabilize my "shaky" videos. (The camera is attached to the top of my computer, so guess what ... it's not the camera that's moving.) ... before disaster struck it while we were separated. Why are uke players as a community so strap-resistant? I promise a really good solid strap system will free you. Try it.If you possibly can you should stand up to sing. I move around all the time when I perform; Even though I usually have to sit down. My storytelling colleagues were very critical of this practice until I figured out a work around that gives me the mobility I need. Does this UTube shaky stabilization thing reduce what might be intentional body motion?

If you want to set those clever brains working on solutions, here are the two problems that I would still love to solve and am still working toward:

1) A way to easily remove and replace the straps, and switch them from one uke to another.

2) The position of this one is a thousand times better than it was "before strap", and it's solid, but it still sits a bit further to my right than I'd like. How to get it to sit exactly where my playing arms want to play?Light weight carabiners are available for use as keychains. They can be clipped to the Strap and the ugly loops to give interchangibility. Modify your strapping arrangement to allow a chord/half-hitch arrangement to make fine positioning adjustments. That's probably the wrong knot name. The link will give you the right idea:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munter_hitch#Use_as_load_releasable_tie_off

"wearing" the uke safely and securely while not playing, distributing the weight evenly and comfortably across the back (not hanging from the neck - ouch!). "wearing" the uke safely and securely while not playing, distributing the weight evenly and comfortably across the back (not hanging from the neck - ouch!). I need to use 7 sets of velcro straps just to be able to walk. Velcro is extremely sensitive to "clogging" by miscelaneous fibers - like cat hair. Clogged velcro will and does separated at the worst possible times. Caveat Emptor. Uncle Raggy's little plastic clamps need to be used with caution. The number of times my fanny pack has dropped to the ground when those suckers incoveniently released is myriad.

PS, size does not matter:rolleyes: Really Wendi!

Younger, better endowed, and better climate.
I am not trying that in New Jersey in December.
Not the folks they are actually suggesting should try it, of course.
I think perhaps you should not propose ideas you are not willing (or able) to demonstrate yourself.I so hope I can find my grass skirt. I'll show you a thing or two!

TjW
12-27-2014, 04:11 AM

2) The position of this one is a thousand times better than it was "before strap", and it's solid, but it still sits a bit further to my right than I'd like. How to get it to sit exactly where my playing arms want to play?

Any acceptable solution to those two must maintain all the benefits this solution already has: holding the uke solidly in playing position without any support needed from hands, wrists, arms, etc., playing while standing, playing while moving, "wearing" the uke safely and securely while not playing, distributing the weight evenly and comfortably across the back (not hanging from the neck - ouch!).

You might try a kitchen store of some sort. You can get a roll of non-skid material that looks sort of like someone rubberized strings of fairly squishy foam. Some of that between you and the strap, and the strap won't slide along its length. Contact cement would probably work to attach it to a leather strap, or it could be sewn.
It's not sticky, really, just non-skid. You could try putting a chunk of it between you and the back of the ukulele. Between a strap maintaining the angle you like, and the ukulele not sliding around on you, you should be able to maintain whatever playing position you like.
I'd think that it would muffle the back a little bit, but if the back is up against you anyway, that might not be a big deal.

kypfer
12-27-2014, 06:37 AM
UkeCan1 asked for :
A way to easily remove and replace the straps, and switch them from one uke to another.

Managed to cover this on a previous thread, but as a great fan of the use of straps, I think it bears repeating :)

Tie both ends of the lace at the end of your strap together to form a long loop. A simple overhand or figure-of-eight knot is OK in the first instance. Pass this loop, knot and all, under the strings between the tuners and drop the loop over a tuner knob on the far side ... job done ... works for me, and no, it doesn't seem to affect the tuning

I'm assuming the use of a strap-button on the body of the instrument. If the concept is attractive, but the knot is a bit bulky to pass easily under the strings, you can make arrangement to just have a loop of lace attached to the end of your strap. Hook it on, adjust the strap-length if necessary and away you go :)

OregonJim
12-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Velcro is extremely sensitive to "clogging" by miscelaneous fibers - like cat hair. Clogged velcro will and does separated at the worst possible times. Caveat Emptor. Uncle Raggy's little plastic clamps need to be used with caution. The number of times my fanny pack has dropped to the ground when those suckers incoveniently released is myriad.

Velcro comes in a number of different grades. The cheap stuff (commercial grade) does indeed clog easily. Industrial grade Velcro does not clog, holds far better, and is easy to find. The "loop" side is not fabric like the cheap stuff, it is hard nylon. Military grade is even better, but difficult to find. Industrial grade would be far more than sufficient to hold up even a heavy guitar, let a alone a uke...

IamNoMan
12-29-2014, 07:35 PM
Velcro comes in a number of different grades. The cheap stuff (commercial grade) does indeed clog easily. Industrial grade Velcro does not clog, holds far better, and is easy to find. The "loop" side is not fabric like the cheap stuff, it is hard nylon. Military grade is even better, but difficult to find. Industrial grade would be far more than sufficient to hold up even a heavy guitar, let a alone a uke...Do you have a link will show me the grades or specs for heavy duty "velcro". I get my Orthotics folks to start using it.