Playing with Boobs

UkeCan1

Reaction score
Okay, now that I have your attention.....

This is an actual thread that has been brewing over at the 94th Season of the Ukulele. It's a long story how it got started and what's been suggested so far. It starts here if you're interested: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...Season-94-Opposite-Week&p=1439646#post1439646

The video (by "UkuleleMommy", the artist formerly known as UkuleleDaddy) that sparked the conversation is here: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...Season-94-Opposite-Week&p=1438882#post1438882

Until Sean asked his question and I (actually!) tested it, it had not occurred to me that the female anatomy poses an extra challenge for holding a uke securely and playing it optimally. And that it has been a critical component of my own uke-holding challenges.

Since last night, I've been messing with my strap configuration, trying to figure out a better way that eliminates pineapple-pineapple conflict.

So how 'bout it, Undies, how do you play with boobs?

I really want to know!

- Wendy

Last edited:
Several members of my group are boobs,
they can't keep time or stay on melody, but we all accept them and move on.
I may have the wrong meaning of "boobs"

These replies are cracking me up (I will *never* figure out how to play with group members who are boobs - fortunately they are few and far between!) but I'm assuming the OP really is looking for serious suggestions, so - here's what works for me. No pineapple-pineapple conflict here!

Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 1.23.37 PM.jpg

I play with a strap (Levy's mando strap) but I do this in order to have better control playing higher up the neck, not because of... ahem, anatomical issues. I actually think whether or not one has said issues depends entirely on body type - even without a strap, nothing gets in the way, but then I'm a fairly small person who plays a small uke - I would imagine size and shape of both person and ukulele could make a difference.

Thread title should probably be 'Playing Uke with Boobs'.

Sadly, I have nothing to contribute to this thread that would be of any help but as a "world-class" boob (and I think I can speak for boobs everywhere) I will be spending much time here in hopes that photos or videos demonstrating the approved method for boob-challenged ukulele players should appear.

And.....just a friendly reminder:

327271d1368032186-newbie-here-hope-yaall-dont-hate-me-useless_without_pics_2.gif.jpg

(if there ever was one......this is it!)

Sadly, I have nothing to contribute to this thread that would be of any help but as a "world-class" boob (and I think I can speak for boobs everywhere) I will be spending much time here in hopes that photos or videos demonstrating the approved method for boob-challenged ukulele players should appear.

And.....just a friendly reminder:

View attachment 61641

(if there ever was one......this is it!)

Speaking as someone who has a larger boobs than most I'll post some pictures of me playing without a shirt on if that's what you really want? (so long as you don't expect to see me playing a steel body Resonator Uke - they are a bit cold against a bare chest!)

On a serious note (as this thread needs as many of those as possible) remember 1 in 500 cases of Brest Cancer is Man and the survival rate in men is worse because so many men don't think they can get it

Rick beat me to it.

isn't that what the indentation is for? :shaka:

Last edited:
As a woman with large boobs, I don't have a problem with uke. Just hold the uke up higher - which I think makes it easier to play anyway. If you watch Daniel Ho, for example, he holds his uke up pretty high. My boobs are actually helpful in supporting the uke. I call them my "boob shelf".

Speaking as someone who has a larger boobs than most I'll post some pictures of me playing without a shirt on if that's what you really want? (so long as you don't expect to see me playing a steel body Resonator Uke - they are a bit cold against a bare chest!)

That's a sweet gesture, Fatboy and a wonderful idea! I don't personally have any preference for man-boobs, buts that's no reason to deny others (and yourself) the pleasure of showing off your girls. It would be a step in the right direction and it may inspire others to follow suit. Plus, your method of "ukulele boob management" might even provide some insight to the OP!

Again, I would like to be more helpful. I do recall one particularly hot Georgia afternoon. I was playing a very enthusiastic rendition of "Crazy G" and contracted a rather severe case of nipple rash. No photos to share of said nipple, but I can assure you it was quite painful. The moral there being "Always wear a shirt when you play Crazy G".

Glad someone revived this issue, been wondering about it myself. I notice a lot of people play their uke really low, sitting on their laps almost whereas I hold mine really high on my boob. I was wondering whether I should try to hold the uke lower. Seems to me that a lot of people who hold their uke low tend to hunch over while playing?

Glad someone revived this issue, been wondering about it myself. I notice a lot of people play their uke really low, sitting on their laps almost whereas I hold mine really high on my boob. I was wondering whether I should try to hold the uke lower. Seems to me that a lot of people who hold their uke low tend to hunch over while playing?

I do hold my tenor uke really low -- almost like playing a classical guitar where it rests on my left thigh. It does result in me hunching over (exacerbating my poor posture) but it makes playing a tenor a lot more comfortable. When I play my smaller uke, I use a Uke Leash on it to keep it high -- that also works.

Top Bottom