Ukulel injuries

Harold O.

Reaction score
Aside from the beginner's bruised thumbnail, has anyone encountered an injury related to playing the uke? I have some evidence here of a ukulele-related incident that took place whilst strumming madly and having a string break.

The E string let loose and wound itself around my ring finger in NO TIME and I wound up with 6 stitches between my ring and pinky finger. Good thing no tendons were cut. And good thing I had a glossy finish on the uke. And good thing I stopped before anything major happened to further the injury.

And good thing it was a broken glass while washing dishes instead of playing uke or my wife would have me stop playing the uke (I got four ukes already without even trying...imagine how many I'll have when the dementia ends!).

Harold O.
picture.php

Woah, had me believing you for a second there. Say hypothetically a wound C snapped, could it actually cause you a lot of finger damage?

Aside from the beginner's bruised thumbnail, has anyone encountered an injury related to playing the uke? I have some evidence here of a ukulele-related incident that took place whilst strumming madly and having a string break.

The E string let loose and wound itself around my ring finger in NO TIME and I wound up with 6 stitches between my ring and pinky finger. Good thing no tendons were cut. And good thing I had a glossy finish on the uke. And good thing I stopped before anything major happened to further the injury.

And good thing it was a broken glass while washing dishes instead of playing uke or my wife would have me stop playing the uke (I got four ukes already without even trying...imagine how many I'll have when the dementia ends!).

Harold O.
picture.php

You suck.

Haha I totally fell for that... Yeah... :wallbash:

:D

you had me, then im like... Wait E string... lucky that you didnt catch any tendons and such.

I'm reading all the responses, and everyone understands the joke :confused:

By simple definition, half the people are below average. So if I can catch you, where do you rate?

Harold O.

Here's a real injury story:

For last years tour, I practiced on my ukulele so much that my harsh strumming slowly ate away at my fretboard (I strum above the soundhole by the frets.) This exposed the sharp ends of the fret markers. I only noticed this after the Mike DaSilva performance because my strumming fingers were wearing off and slightly bleeding. With the tour just starting and no time to fix the ukulele, I just sucked it in and kept playing. My fingers were numb and they were bleeding from all the abuse. During the performances I just ignored the pain until after the show was finished. Man did it hurt...

I got it smoothed out again when I got back to Hawaii.

No witty last paragraph... this actually happened hahaha. Ask Ryan and Aaron :eek:ld:

worst thing that happened was getting a fat blister on my index finger from practicing triplet strumming so much. I cut my nail too short

Here's a real injury story:

For last years tour, I practiced on my ukulele so much that my harsh strumming slowly ate away at my fretboard (I strum above the soundhole by the frets.) This exposed the sharp ends of the fret markers. I only noticed this after the Mike DaSilva performance because my strumming fingers were wearing off and slightly bleeding. With the tour just starting and no time to fix the ukulele, I just sucked it in and kept playing. My fingers were numb and they were bleeding from all the abuse. During the performances I just ignored the pain until after the show was finished. Man did it hurt...

I got it smoothed out again when I got back to Hawaii.

No witty last paragraph... this actually happened hahaha. Ask Ryan and Aaron :eek:ld:

That is REALLY extreme. I imagine it takes a LOT of strumming to wear down a rosewood fretboard to the point where the frets are poking out and hurting you. But way to be a trooper, Aldrine! The show must go on!

Thats nasty man,,,,
By no means am i a softy,, and my hands are well worn through my choice of career,,(Demolition) On several occasions,, while jamm'n in a trance like state ,, i blister the ends of my fingers,, index,middle and ring finger on my strumming hand, which normally means i have to take a break from the uke for at least 1-2 weeks,, will try get some photos next time,,,

Top Bottom