season 95 of the ukulele – sounds of the seventies – disco, glam rock, abba

bird's eye view of my ukelele

Reaction score
hello people! welcome to season 95 of the ukulele – my theme for this season is sounds of the seventies – disco, glam rock and abba

ok, now that intro vid is not strictly accurate – because we're gonna be saying HELLO SEVENTIES! not goodbye seventies. and unlike the song in the video, we are gonna be celebrating the marvelousness of the seventies, not (hopefully) saying the seventies were rubbish. however it was the only song I could think of with the word “seventies” in the title, and it's a great song, and it's by yazoo, and I love yazoo. so there you go. it's my intro vid. and it is what it is!

when I look back at the seventies from NOW, I think punk was EVERYTHING. but at the time, when I was just a nipper, knee high to something that was itself probably not very tall, the big things on my little musical horizon were – oh wait you guessed! - disco, glam rock, and abba.

so, I would like you to join me in celebration of these 3 great musical whatsits, as follows...

1. you can post up to three official entries. (choosing freely from the categories.) (ie. you can post 3 disco songs, or one disco or two abba, or one disco one abba one glam, or oh you know on and on and on (as abba would say) - i'm sure you get the picture!)

2. if you can post three vids, and you find you still have the music in you, then you can post one additional bonus entry. (again – choose freely from any of the three categories.)

PRIZES. there will be three prizes – one for first place, one for second place (these will be my first and second fave vids from the official entries), plus a third prize for a song picked at random from all the remaining entries (this time that will include bonuses.)

all three prize winners will get a 70s compilation cd to party and groove to.

OTHER CONSIDERATIONS...

you can multitrack and use effects and wotnot and fancy video stuff and all that sort of thing if you want to. if that is your bag.

you can post when it starts being sunday in hawaii, I like to check the day and time there HERE

contest ends midnight hawaii time next sunday

BONUS POINTS FOR...

1. wearing eyeliner (but only if you're a bloke.)

2. including a pet or pets in your video. (this has nothing to do with the theme, I know, it's just something I like to see.)

3. songs by the three degrees

4. songs by suzi quatro

any queries or anything that's not clear or anything i'm doing horribly wrong, please post here or PM me.

good luck, have fun - I plan to

and no punching, kicking or gouging.

now – run along, children, and bring me all my favourite songs...

oh... if you need a bit of help thinking of fab songs to bring me, here are a few places to start looking...

some top disco songs

wow there isn't a whole bunch of good info on glam rock – anyone else got ideas for links, and lists of artists and songs? until/unless someone comes up with something better here is a place to start...

and abba

okie dokie

let the seventies party begin

ooh hold on let it begin in about five more minutes - I just wanna say, I sometimes have trouble posting comments over on youtube... therefore I'm thinking the best thing for me might be to JUST comment over here on the thread, to make life easier for me, and stop me wanting to set light to the computer and chuck it out the window. (or at least to stop me wanting to set light to the computer and chuck it out the window QUITE SO MUCH!) I hope that will be ok with eveyone.

ok

start partying!

PLAYLISTS

disco

glam rock

abba

bonus vids

Last edited:
"The 70's" as a style shorthand can be quite different from the reality.

Saturday Night Fever came out one year after Never Mind The Bollocks

Years ago, I was invited to a '60s theme party. Everyone else turned up as a hippy. I turned up as a Mod...

"The 70's" as a style shorthand can be quite different from the reality.
i know!

flares and big old super gigantic shirt collars are seen as quintessentially seventies, and yet many people were wearing them, and still even thinking they were cool, into the start of the eighties

not me obviously. oh no. :uhoh: other people

Ohhhhhhhh, this is going to be so much fun! Disco was going to be my theme in Feb. I have plenty of other ideas though so now I can participate and do some disco! Thanks for stepping up to the plate Bird!

hi cats

Now to find my afro wig, tie dye shirt, and platform shoes....
DON'T FORGET THE EYELINER

Ohhhhhhhh, this is going to be so much fun! Disco was going to be my theme in Feb. I have plenty of other ideas though so now I can participate and do some disco! Thanks for stepping up to the plate Bird!
ooh. it would be so great to have a season that is all disco, all the time - disco is only one prong of a three pronged... er... pronged thing, this week, so i'm sure there will still be plenty of disco left over! i hope you'll consider still doing it...

Great theme Birds Eye but don't forget to mention that Gary Glitter songs don't go down too well here in the UK and points will be deducted not gained !! Lol

Last edited:
..... flares and big old super gigantic shirt collars are seen as quintessentially seventies...

Only until 1971. By 1972 it was almost impossible to buy flares in a store. I hung on to mine until they fell apart or rotted some time in the 80s.

Will it be alright if I record a song I wrote in the 1970s?

PS Do I get a bonus point for saying I had no idea you'd be old enough to even remember the 1970s!!! ;)

Hey BEVOMU.... as someone whose adolescence coincided with the 1970s, may I suggest that you open out your definition of what makes a 70s song?

In my view, Singer-songwriters and Prog-Rock bands were far more defining of the 1970s than any of the ephemeral disco/glam rock crowd! Very few of the latter are still with us, but most of the former are still going in one shape or form. Quintessential 70s? James Taylor, Melanie, Joni Mitchell, Richard Thompson, Peter Gabriel's Genesis, Yes, The Moody Blues, etc. Other bands that defined the 70s included Free!

I'm not into disco either but the seasons is about meeting the conditions set by the host not suggesting a change to the theme of the season because we think it should be something else.
And the claim that the disco/glam rock crowd was ephemeral makes the theme more interesting.
I think it could be argued that the Stones were very glam at one time. And David Bowie came up when I was looking at glam artists - hardly ephemeral.
So here's my disco attempt with help from some GarageBand monotonous back beat.
Boogie Fever by the Sylvers.

Last edited:
I said I was not going to do an Abba song, and in a way I still did not ;). This is my take on Tropical Loveland by Abba, I have never heard this song to my knowledge. I just found some chords and lyrics on the internet and started playing, any resemblance to the original is purely coincidental.

Only until 1971. By 1972 it was almost impossible to buy flares in a store. I hung on to mine until they fell apart or rotted some time in the 80s.

Will it be alright if I record a song I wrote in the 1970s?

PS Do I get a bonus point for saying I had no idea you'd be old enough to even remember the 1970s!!! ;)

Maybe those of us that like to write our own songs could write ABOUT the seventies?

I agree as well. My tastes were formed by a wide range of 70s performers, none of which were either disco artists or ABBA. I can totally get behind having fun with their songs, however, and glam rock doesn't cause me any problems. Question, though, for clarification: Does KISS count as glam rock for the purposes of this competition?

Top Bottom