How do you "trust" ordering a uke online?

Preacher

Reaction score
I really like to hear the different models of ukes in person so I can get an accurate idea of the sound. So I've been to several music stores in the last couple weeks, some of them pretty "high end" in what they carry. Except for the ukuleles, apparently.

At one store, I tried a $400+ Gretsch concert. If this was my only encounter with a Gretsch, I'd assume they were crap. The friction tuners wouldn't even hold the strings in tune. I tightened the A string, and it unwound about a quarter turn when I let go of it. And while I'm still a newbie at this, I'm guessing I shouldn't be able to fit 3 quarters in between the strings and the frets of the expensive Islander uke I looked at.

In another store, I played a Mainland tenor that had a terrible buzz on one of the strings. From everything I've heard about him, I'm pretty sure Mike wouldn't send it out like that. But it's probably been handled by a hundred people and Lord knows what's been done to it.
Very few stores had more than a couple ukes in tune. So buying from a store is not looking very promising.

But that means I have to do it sight unseen. Given how much sound can vary from uke to uke, even within the same type and wood, how can I know I'm getting something good? There's Mainland, Mim's, HMS, Uke Republic---all have great reputations on here. But what if it doesn't sound like I had hoped based on some YouTube video I saw?

Not to be too picky about it, but if I'm going to spend $300 or more, how can I order with confidence?

Right now, my only plan for a new uke is to drive 90 minutes out of my way to visit Mainland Ukes when I'm in Indiana next month and hope I find something that works for me. (Which, by the way, I'm really looking forward to, but still!)

(Sorry for the length of this rant.)

Last edited:
About the only thing you can do is work with a reliable seller and talk to him/her about what you're looking for. While hearing a uke over the phone or on a YouTube video is imperfect, it should give you some idea of what you're buying. Most sellers will allow time for you to determine if the instrument is a good fit, but if you don't like it, you generally are responsible for shipping both ways, which is expensive.

I've bought a lot of ukes by mail, and my success rate has been very high, although I do admit I have sent back a couple that just weren't a fit for me. Only you can know if you can deal with the ambiguity that goes with buying a uke remotely. If you're not, that detour to Mainland will be well worth it. After all, you'll probably have your uke for years; isn't that worth a few hours of driving?

This is the dalema we all face when ordering sight unseen and un-played. I have had great success with Hawaii Music Supply and I have ordered from most of the others hear on the mainland as they say. Good luck.

I have had great success with Hawaii Music Supply

I have dealt with HMS several times via the internet as well as in person at the store. In my experience, they will tell you exactly what they have to offer and do a great set up on all instruments, even very inexpensive ones. If you have limited options, do not hesitate to deal with them and expect they are telling you the truth.

While not a complete list HMS, UkeRepublic, Mim, and Mainland all check and setup their ukes before sending one out. So, good action, no buzz, and no observable defects. If something is wrong they care of it.

Preacher,
Don't you live in america's dairyland? Spruce Tree Music on East Johnson in Madtown has a great selection of 'ukes. They even have some great vintages, too. Check out http://www.sprucetreemusic.com/new.html and give Will and Julie a call.

While not a complete list HMS, UkeRepublic, Mim, and Mainland all check and setup their ukes before sending one out. So, good action, no buzz, and no observable defects. If something is wrong they care of it.

What Doc_J said. Do your homework. Trust your seller.

I notice my friction tuners slip when it gets colder. A shame the shop didn't keep on top of that gretsch. You should have asked them to tighten up the tuners for you.

For the lower end you probably can't go wrong with getting a flea (or fluke) online. They are consistent and reliable and you can trust that it will be very playable out of the box (keep on top of the tuners initially). At the very least one of these will help you to develop a good ear so you'll be able to pick a good one 6+ months down the road. Call for blems and seconds.

Last edited:
I agree it's tough to judge which uke to get online because of the mikes and speakers thing. That being said, read up on the different wood sounds and the different band characteristics. After that, contact one of the major sellers mentioned above, talk to them and have faith. They have no interest in steering you wrong and they know the instrument well enough to take of you.

As those above said, there are excellent online sellers. If you're in Indiana you might think about visiting Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI, they have an excellent selection.

I've bought 8 ukes in the last 5 months since I started playing (yep, UAS has me good), 1 in store, 7 online (a blem and 2 directly from China), sold 1. So far I have had no problems with any of them. They each have their particular sound, and I've changed or added a preamp on a few, lowered the action and added strap buttons. They're all medium priced, but I got them for deep discounts when I bought, that's the main reason I buy online.

Not to be too picky about it, but if I'm going to spend $300 or more, how can I order with confidence?

Ukulele Buying 101:

(1) Go to a vendor that KNOWS ukuleles. Doesn't matter if you walk in their door, call them on the phone or order it online. Your new uke will be everything you desire or they will bend over backwards to make it so. Your passion is their passion.

(2) Go to Mega Guitars Supermart (We will beat any price!), Overstocked.com, Sam's Klub, Bernies sandwich shop, DiscountDeals.com or "Huge Liquidation Sale" room 247 @ Holiday Inn North (this weekend only!), etc., etc., ad nauseam.
Be sure to keep your receipt. Roll it up tightly and it makes a great shim to keep the nut from wobbling.

Right now, my only plan for a new uke is to drive 90 minutes out of my way to visit Mainland Ukes when I'm in Indiana next month and hope I find something that works for me. (Which, by the way, I'm really looking forward to, but still!)

My daily commute comprises a 90 minute drive in the morning and a 120 minute drive home at night. Every day. 90 minutes isn't a hardship if you get to see Mike and his ukes at the end of it :)

Last edited:
I've been able to check out many ukleles by going to ukulele meetups. It's a fun time and people usually let you check out their ukulele. Once you have identified what you like, you can get in touch with one of the dealers mentioned and get something you'll love.

I suppose we are lucky in the UK , we have a law which states we can send items back for a full refund if we bought them on line or mail order. It is the distance selling regulations. So if we dont like the goods or they are not as described we can send them back to the seller for a refund.

I'm guessing I shouldn't be able to fit 3 quarters in between the strings and the frets of the expensive Islander uke I looked at.

At the first fret, a dime on the fretboard should be held by the string. A quarter on the twelfth fret should be held by the string.

OK, you're fussy, you have a Kamaka. Here's another place to stop on your drive https://www.oldtownschool.org/musicstore/ukuleles/ It's on the north side of Chicago, they're as good as the other suggestions in this thread. They have lots of brands to try.

I think your best bet is Sprucetree in Madison, been there bought there. If you go to Nashville IN give yourself some extra time. Plenty of gift shops (open in Jan?), walkable and it's a nice drive.

It's a simple matter to tighten a friction tuner, just take it to the counterman and ask for a phillips screwdriver. I imagine you've done that plenty of times already with your K.

Last edited:
When you see Mike, ask him about his "Blems" - I got a wonderful deal on a blem from him in summer. But he had to point out the "blemish"!!! His quality control is first rate, indeed, judging by my lovely Red Cedar Concert - he's incredibly meticulous! I wasn't bothered in the slightest by the two tiny aesthetic flaws Mike pointed out and was more than pleased at the price drop he suggested. The instrument looks and sounds absolutely fine and no untrained eye I have asked to find the blems has managed it so far ;). BTW I'd ring him first to ensure he will be in and don't look for the Barn in his picture, the store doesn't look like that at all ;). His town is well worth a visit too, it's a kind of successful hippy place with a real arts and crafts vibe.

Whatever you do, sticking to established dealers who have a reputation to keep in the Uke world is probably a good idea, rather than the mass market guys. I've had two instruments that turned out to be disappointing. One was returned for a full refund and the other was actually given to me as a gift and my cash refunded. I then spent some time fixing it and have a serviceable instrument now.

If you're buying used on eBay, I would ask for a few sound samples, pictures etc. If I'm buying new, I go to Youtube for samples and Google for reviews. If someone on here mentions having one I'll message them asking for a sound sample and their opinion.

You just have to do your research.

If you have to buy online check out the return policy. Most reputable dealers will give you 48 hr to return for any reason. You're only out the shipping. It isn't as good as trying first but at least you have an option

...90 minutes isn't a hardship if you get to see Mike and his ukes at the end of it :)

Big +1 on that! Make sure you call him first and let him know what you're looking for - he'll go out of his way to check his inventory, etc. and make sure that they have some models that you're interested in set up and ready to play.

HMS is also great to work with. Their various demo and comparison videos are quite possibly the most useful on the internet because they try to use the same high-quality recording setup for all their demos. They did one video comparing similar ukuleles made from different woods - with eyes closed I was able to pick out the koa models with almost 100% accuracy. Most YouTube videos are pretty useless for tone and volume comparisons because often they are using in-camera microphones and you have no idea how much compression, EQ, and auto-leveling was applied by the camera.

John

Top Bottom