Durham, NC Ukulele club

gheepn

Reaction score
Hey guys I am looking for my east coast ukulele buddys. I found a site about a ukulele club that plays on the 1st and 3rd mondays of the month. I was wondering if anyone on this forum attends, I was thinking about giving it a try if it still meets.

http://durhamukulelegroup.blogspot.com/

Mahalo.:shaka:

Durham Ukulele Club

Are you perhaps thinking about CUKES? They used to meet twice a month but it has been a long time since I've had any contact with them. I am not aware of another group in that area. I was a member for a while, but moved to the coast then got dropped off their email list.

Could be CUKES, I am going to call the meeting place tomorrow and see if they still meet on a regular basis.

Sadly, I just found out that CUKES is no more. It has indeed been replaced by the Durham group. We used to post over at EZFolk.com, where I found this recent post by the CUKES founder.

Merry Christmas Pete & Richard, my old uke buddies!

Just happened to log on today and what might I find?! An inquiry about "Cukes" - well it has not started up again, but there is a group that meets regularly in Durham that's been quite busy and successful. It's led by Paul O, an original member of Cukes and they've got a terrific website, and a number of videos on youtube. Check them out at: http://durhamukulelegroup.blogspot.com/

I'm not an attendee, but they're going strong and seem to have a good time. Another original Cukes member with them (before you, Pete & Richard and all the others came along) is Scott B, who came to our meetings a few times near the end of Cukes run, who you guys might remember.

Anyway, I highly suggest looking at their website and videos and consider checking out one of their meetings if you can. They meet in Durham at a music store near the School of Science & Math. The store is a huge uke supporter and carries a nice variety (low end to high end) of ukes. I know it might be tough for you, Richard, since they meet on a weeknight, but Pete you might be a little closer to attend.

An update on a former Cukes player, I'm sure you remember, Billie, our silver haired Baritone player. Sadly her husband Gil passed away in November (he used to join us for dinner at Sal's after our meetings).

I got Del Ray's Blues video for Christmas and wow, she's a terrific player! It'll be a real project for me to get down some of her songs, but it'll keep me out of trouble! I think it would be a good one to share with Billie, too, who loves the blues!

Well, take care, you guys!!

Top Bottom