Songs to play and sing?

Trawler

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for songs (any genre) that would be suitable for a beginner to learn to strum chords and sing at the same time? I'm finding it's like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time!

Thanks
-Helen

I struggled with this for many years, then it was like a light switch, it just "clicked" and I was able to do it from that moment on.
I suggest that you choose a song that you know very well, especially all the lyrics, and you know how the phrasing goes without having to think about about it.

I remember the first song I was able to sing and play at the same time - it was "Imagine" by John Lennon.

So if you have a song that you are able to play the chord progressions smoothly, and you know all the lyrics, just keep trying, and you'll get it!
I have also heard that some people try whistling the melody or humming the melody as they play before they can sing along.

All I can tell you is that for many many years I felt as though I would never be able to sing and play at the same time, and for many years I pretty much just gave up trying. This was when I was just a guitar player. Once I found the ukulele, I was determined to sing and play at the same time so I just kept at it.
Once it "clicked" though, it is SUPER easy for me now, and I can pretty much sing and play anything if I know how the song goes, and on guitar too.

Don't give up!

just keep strumming the chord progression of the song, humming or whistling, but NOT worrying about the lyrics at all!! If you stumble over the lyrics it will impede your chord changing and interrupt your strumming... major road bump.

write out the chord sequence/progression and the number of strums for each chord, then keep working the practice sheet WITHOUT REFERENCE TO ANY LYRICS. Just hum or whistle the tune as you strum and change chords.

Eventually, the words will come and voila! you'll be singing along. :)

keep uke'in',

start with some 2 chord songs.
And like Uncle Rod said, just hum and strum.

I started with a song I really liked, one that was easy and only had a few chords.

I am battling to find a 2 chord song section, or even 2 chord songs on this site. Am I missing something?

Here's what I'd suggest. There is a very useful book called The Daily Ukulele which has 365 very familiar songs set down in easy tab format, there's bound to be some you know. Looking through my copy I see the following with only two chords:

Down In The Valley

The Drunken Sailor

He's Got The Whole World In His Hands (scroll down to the bottom)

I've included links to online tabs for you, but it's worth investing in the book. If you don't recognise a song look for it on YouTube. Also look up the easy lessons on the Learn Ukulele section of this site. I learned a lot from watching them.

Here's a 2-chords song (Arlo Guthrie's version):

Buffalo Gals (traditional)

Verse 1
[F]As I was walking down the street
[C7]Down the street, [F]down the street
[F]A pretty girl I chanced to meet
[C7]And we danced by the light of the [F]moon

Chorus
[F]Buffalo gals, won't you come out tonight
[C7]Come out tonight, [F]come out tonight
[F]Buffalo gals, won't you come out tonight
[C7]And we'll dance by the light of the [F]moon

Verse 2
[F]I danced with a gal with a hole in her stocking
[C7]And her knees was a-knockin' and her [F]shoes was a'rockin'
[F]I danced with a gal with a hole in her stocking
[C7]And we danced by the light of the [F]moon

Play Chorus

Repeat Verse 2 and Chorus

Von, thanks for that one (although its damn fast). It would be great to be able to do a whole range of Woody Guthrie - plus a few others from that era.

Although this is not my thread I will say thanks to those who contributed. Cheers everyone.

Last edited:
I looked at that Lew Dite video, he has some finger picking going on with the chord changes that isn't shown on the 2 chord practice sheet. What does he have going on there?

My "first song" is Brown Eyed Girl, by Van Morrison. The first few Youtube tutorials I saw sound like they're in the key of G, which is at the higher end of my singing voice, but the chords aren't so tough that I can't figure them out without any real lessons under my belt. I know the song well enought not to have to think about the lyrics, and can focus on clean chord transitions.

I have found a few covers that seem to be played a little lower - in D, perhaps? - that sound a little better to my ear and would be a easier for me to sing, but I haven't found tabs for it yet (any links pointing me in that direction would be greatly appreciated, BTW).

IIRC, the first song I sang along to on the uke was Cripple Creek - the Band. Mostly because I think it's fun to try to yodel. And it's a fun song.

I can't offer a specific song suggestion. But, what's worked for me (and has been suggested by others), pick a song that you are completely familiar with, one where both the words and the melody are second nature to you. Select something slow with infrequent chord changes. Aldine does a UU uke minute lesson on playing and singing and he recommended something like a nursery rhyme, happy birthday, that kind of thing. For me, this method really did break thru my mental block against playing and singing. When I played piano, I never could sing and play. Now, it's one of the things I love about the uke. I can easily sing (though my husband says that the only thing worse than my singing is my humming) and play now.

I have the same problem, when i start singing i can't keep the rythm on uke, i forget the strumming, the chords, it seems to me like i will never be able to do it at the same time. Now i'm just trying to play the song till i know very well, so well to be able to play it in my sleep, i hope that after that i'll be able to sing aswell. Is there the possibility to never be able to do both? I was even trying to convince a friend to sing at my song so i can get used to that. :D

Top Bottom