SCGC and Ukes

cigarfan

Reaction score
Read here on UU about someone who was looking to get a Santa Cruz uke to replace one they sold and was haunting them. Got me thinking cause I have a couple nice Santa Cruz guitars both of which are incredible instruments in both sound, looks and build quality.

I can't seem to find anything about them. The Santa Cruz site doesn't show them and web searches are turning up zilch.

Anyone here own a Santa Cruz ukulele and care to share your experience with them?

Ukes proved to be unprofitable for SCGC...kind of like for Larrivee. Into the market, then out when the bucks didn't make sense.

Ukes proved to be unprofitable for SCGC...kind of like for Larrivee. Into the market, then out when the bucks didn't make sense.

Sounds like what happened at Taylor as well. They only make em' for special releases.

So it sounds like whatever pieces SCGC made are collectables? I know I would still like to play one just to see how Richard did.

I still have a Compass Rose in my future too Rick. Thanks for the feedback.

Hi guys,

from what I understand from SCGC and ex-SCGC employees is that the ukes were really developed for Japanese dealers, but SCGC had stopped producing them this year for various reasons although like Rick said, most likely the financial models didn't work out.

I talked to someone in sales at SCGC about a month or two ago. She said they were behind in making guitars, back ordered until sometime in 2015. So they are not planning on making any ukes in the foreseeable future. No orders taken for them either. They just shipped their last ones this fall. :(

I was curious myself so I emailed them yesterday and just got a reply a few minutes ago.

Hi Bruce - thanks for contacting us, I am happy to help. We are finishing up
a last batch of ukes, and then are suspending production for a little while
until we can streamline the process.. it takes us just as much time and
materials to make a uke as a guitar, and therefore it wasn't proving very
profitable for us... we are working on improving the process before we will
start making them again. I will keep your contact info handy and let you
know when we're back in business with the little guys.

Let me know if you have any other questions, thanks!
Carolyn

Carolyn Sills
Santa Cruz Guitar Company
151-C Harvey West Blvd.
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
(831) 425-0999

CigarFan, call Carolyn and beg for one:D

Last edited:
I found a couple of them. The owner is not really selling but ...

Let you know if I get something worked out. Both are concert size.

I'm still looking for one of those SCGC concerts and they are definitely worth trying if you can find one. I've played 2 of them and owned 1, both were beautifully built and really sweet sounding (both were also all mahogany).

I found a couple of them. The owner is not really selling but ...

Let you know if I get something worked out. Both are concert size.

I purchased a SCGC 1929 all mahogany concert from a UU member, and I'll second what Specialk wrote. This uke is beautiful and has a remarkably rich, deep, sweet sound. Very resonant, despite weighing noticeably more than other concerts (e.g., Collings, KoAloha).

photo (6).jpg

Man, that is gorgeous. You are close by too! Maybe you would let me stop by sometime and try it? I could bring any of those in my signature if you wanted to give them a whirl.

I purchased a SCGC 1929 all mahogany concert from a UU member, and I'll second what Specialk wrote. This uke is beautiful and has a remarkably rich, deep, sweet sound. Very resonant, despite weighing noticeably more than other concerts (e.g., Collings, KoAloha).

View attachment 61807

Man, that is gorgeous. You are close by too! Maybe you would let me stop by sometime and try it? I could bring any of those in my signature if you wanted to give them a whirl.

Sure. We should try to get together. In fact, I've been communicating with another UU member who's located in Maryland, Ipcmir, about getting together soon for an ukulele show-and-tell. Maybe the three of us could gather.

I would love to play a SCGC ukulele. I am fortunate to own an OM/PW guitar. The sound and quality of their instruments are near perfect as anyone can get.

Not to derail the thread too far off the track, but can anyone compare a SCGC uke to a Collings? Both boutique builders specializing (more or less) in concert sized ukes… Anyone? I own two Collings and they're tough to beat. Light as a feather, perfectly crafted (with emphasis on PERFECT), and super responsive and just all around great. Soooo, are the SCGC ukes that much better than Collings?

Not to derail the thread too far off the track, but can anyone compare a SCGC uke to a Collings? Both boutique builders specializing (more or less) in concert sized ukes… Anyone? I own two Collings and they're tough to beat. Light as a feather, perfectly crafted (with emphasis on PERFECT), and super responsive and just all around great. Soooo, are the SCGC ukes that much better than Collings?

I have never owned a SCGC uke, but I did get to spend a long time with one when I was in (where else?) Santa Cruz a couple of years ago. It was a "1929" mahogany concert and it was impeccably finished and sounded beautiful. I would say it was comparable to a higher-end Collings and priced similarly.

I have never owned a SCGC uke, but I did get to spend a long time with one when I was in (where else?) Santa Cruz a couple of years ago. It was a "1929" mahogany concert and it was impeccably finished and sounded beautiful. I would say it was comparable to a higher-end Collings and priced similarly.

Thanks, Rich. Duly noted… if there's anyone on this forum I trust, it's you. Cheers, buddy, thanks!

Top Bottom