My uke sounds weird now...

BboyEmperor

Reaction score
My friend took (borrowed) my ukulele for a day and when she gave it back it sounds weird. The strings sound all faded out. Like when I play the G chord it sounds off... Oh and when she gave it back I found a small bit of dried ketchup on the fingerboard. I so yelled at her for it...

Anyway.
I don't know what to do... It could be me...but then again it couldn't...
Now to make this another one of those "I need help buying new strings" thread...

So, which ones?
I wanted Aquila because everyone suggests them, but then again I was thinking of buying Worth because I heard it's Aquila's competition, "but then again...." I also wanted to buy the D'addario strings from the UU store...
Your personal preference of the 3.

I'm expecting someone to say "Use the search function!"

Actually I recommend Ko'olau strings. Very balanced and less bright than Aquila. Aquila does have a uniquely bright sound which is great, but for me, a little overboard and not very traditional. They're also good at making a lower end laminate wood ukulele sound much better. (I mean the Aquila's are good for this)

Last edited:
hhhmmm.. i have tried all three and i do prefer aquillas but.. russ is right.. you might wanna try all three and see which one sounds better for you. the strings that pickN is suggesting.. i havent tried so i guess those might be my next strings. haha

I am surprised you loaned your uke to someone after your previous nightmare. If I were you, I wouldn't let it out of my sight. I would hug it and squeeze it and name it George.

Since your uke isn't solid wood, I suggest Aquilas to compensate for the lost volume. There's a reason MGM strings up most inexpensive ukes with Aquilas.

This video compares the Aquilas and Worths. Worths are mellower to my ears, which is fine for loud, punchy instruments, but I think your particular uke will really open up with Aquilas.

I am surprised you loaned your uke to someone after your previous nightmare. If I were you, I wouldn't let it out of my sight. I would hug it and squeeze it and name it George.

my thoughts exactly! :eek:ld:

Yeah, idk what I was thinking. Supposedly my bestfriend/play sister. I really doubted lending it to her. I was worried as heck the minute she left. I kept asking her literally every 10 minutes where it is and how everything is. Ugh. That's it. No one's EVER touching Phoenix again. I am way too over paranoid now.
Okay back on topic, yeah I think the sound is probably just me...
It's just that darn G chord. Whenever I play it now I hear like some kind of out-tuned chord. It's like when you play out of tuned, it sounds like everything's all "Woooh..." insteadd of "WOOH." hard to explain in text. But again, it might be just me...
We'll see how it goes later on...

Is your ukulele in tune? Maybe your C E or A string is just out of tune?

But if it is a problem with the strings, I'd go with Aquilas pretty much because they're the safest bet. I love my Worths, but I think if I were to choose a one size fits all string, it'd probably be Aquilas.

Yep maybe she switched the strings from the first one that her other "boy friend" found in a locker. What luck. Strings are cheap try them all but leave them on for a few weeks before you change them.

honestly, i just think in the time that your uke was away from you, your strings "died". and since you havent had her during that time, you can really tell the difference.

strings, even if they dont break, need to be changed every now and then. if you play the uke constantly, you may not be able to hear the difference as it is happening. so by the time you actually notice how dead the strings sound, it will have been long overdue (which is where i think you are at now). just change out the strings for some decent quality new ones and im pretty sure you'll hear the difference. the tone will come back to life.

No, she doesn't have her own ukulele.
And Nuke, That might be the thing... I might buy some new strings in the near future...but then again I've only been playing for about 2 months...

Every now and then it sounds like as if nothing ever happened, while other times it does sound like they've died. I still think it's me...

Top Bottom