Vintage Kamaka - Craigslist find

Nuprin

Reaction score
Someone posted a vintage Kamaka on Craigslist yesterday. I ended up taking it home but wasn't sure what year or the value of it.

From what I've found, it looks to be 1920's - 1930's. Tuners probably aren't original though. Crack in the top, separation on the back and possible separation at the neck joint.

I've uploaded some pictures…maybe someone with more Kamaka knowledge can help?

Last edited:
Nice find. Wish I could help but I have no knowledge of Kamaka history. How does it sound?

Hey Chris. I don't have any info about your vintage Kamaka, but just wanted to say that it is nice to see you back here. It has been awhile.

Hi Chris, are you going to send it to Kamaka to be repaired? They might also know more about its worth.

Looks a lot like the one that popped up on ebay this AM.....pineapple decal on soundboard is missing. Same age, missing decal, etc. Nice case. MMStan will have some ideas on it.

Nice find. Wish I could help but I have no knowledge of Kamaka history. How does it sound?
I'm not a soprano guy (fret spacing is too tight) but it sounds great! Intonation is good and it plays well.

Hey Chris. I don't have any info about your vintage Kamaka, but just wanted to say that it is nice to see you back here. It has been awhile.
Thanks! I still don't get on UU as much as I used to. Family life often takes priority, plus my fiance and I are planning the wedding so that takes up a lot of my free time. Hoping to get back in the UU fold though...it's been too long!

Hi Chris, are you going to send it to Kamaka to be repaired? They might also know more about its worth.
To be completely honest, hadn't really thought of sending it back to Kamaka. Was going to have my luthier take a look. Now leaning towards sending it to Kamaka though...might take longer but at least the experts will be fixing it up. Thanks for the suggestion!

I think Kamaka quotes about 1 year on restorations. I've seen a few they have done, and they came out looking like mint condition vintage ukes. All depends what level of restoration and how much you want to spend.

Oh, by the way, the neck joint on mine looks exactly the same as yours. I don't think it is coming apart but these were built pretty umm, shall we say "rough".

Bumping this up as I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me the value of it. I plan on either sending it back to Kamaka or a very respected local luthier for repairs.

I was playing it last night and looking at it in the light...turns out it did have the pineapple decal on the body. You can faintly see the outline of it. It is a great player and it sounds fantastic...all this coming from someone who usually doesn't care for sopranos!

Last edited:
A similar one sold on ebay oct 5,2013 for $583.50. Completed listings on ebay is always a good way to see current values. I think you got a great deal. I have thought about getting similar ukes and sending them to Kamaka for repairs. Congratulations on your uke!

In that condition with the crack, checking of the finish, and seam separation...500- 750.... what some one will pay for it.... if in good condition without damage, double that.....

Top Bottom