Breedlove Master Class Koa (tenor)

cep55

Reaction score
Breedlove Master Class Koa (tenor), price reduced!

This is a gorgeous handmade (in Oregon) Breedlove Master Class tenor uke. It sounds and plays every bit as great as it looks! Quality is absolutely top notch in every detail. Waverly tuners stay in tune better than any uke I've seen, and the ebony fingerboard and exceptional fretwork, along with the punchy, responsive, sweet Koa make it a joy to play. It's in like-new condition, as I bought it just a few months ago. Bought it from a shop that sells Breedlove and Collings, and the owner said ("this blows away the Collings." While I did have a fantastic Collings uke, I have to agree that this one surpasses it in every way.) I hate to part with it, but I'm really more of a guitar player and don't play enough uke to justify something this nice. Also comes with a really nice Breedlove custom hard case. Price reduced to: $1650 shipped and paypalled. I'm afraid I can't entertain any trade offers, just need to sell outright. Sorry about that.

These pics don't begin to do it justice, but here are a few...

body 1.jpgin case.jpglabel.jpgquarter.jpgside.jpg

Here's info from Breedlove:

Throughout history Koa has been the choice wood for ukulele building. Here the Breedlove tenor uses this extremely dramatic wood for the top, back, and sides. Known for its warm woody tone and elevated mid-range, this ukulele will only get better over time. An Ebony fingerboard, peg head veneer and bridge add to the durability and elegance. A single band of Abalone surrounds the sound hole and a simple pattern of dots adorn the fingerboard. The sweet sound produced by this instrument is equal only to its beauty and craftsmanship.

Master Class Tenor Ukulele Specifications
Body Type: Tenor
Neck: Honduran Mahogany
Solid Wood Top: Koa
Back/Sides: Koa
Finish/Color: Gloss
Fretboard: Ebony
Nut Width: 1 3/8
Tuners: Nickel Waverly 1129
$2,669 MSRP

Last edited:
Wow, what beautifully figured koa! Seems like a fantastic buy and I wish I had the spare dough!

"Yes, that is a great-looking uke; alas, my skill level also doesn't justify an $1800 instrument."

You know, that is certainly one way of looking at it, and a valid argument to be sure. In my humble opinion, and everyone is the world's greatest authority on their own opinion, I think just the opposite is true. Why not learn, improve, and hone your skills on a fine instrument rather than the other way around. I personally believe that one of the reasons folks have a flatter learning curve is because they try to learn on sub-standard instruments. Granted, you may not be be financially able to swing a nice instrument like this one, but to suggest you somehow don't deserve it is a notion alien to me.

I tend to agree with Eyeguy. If you can afford it, and it makes you happy, you deserve it regardless of skill level!

I own a few instruments (guitars and ukes like this one and my Santa Cruz uke) that are embarrassingly out of my league in terms of their quality/cost. But I just enjoy playing such a mervelously-crafted, great-sounding instrument so much that I've stopped worrying about the discrepancy. This Breedlove is just a delight to hold, play and hear, even in my novice hands! :)

I agree with Cep and Eyeguy. A proper instrument will greatly enhance the enjoyment and learnng curve. I see so many with a long lists of cheap instruments likely trying to find something that feels and sounds right. With all the cash they put nto them, they could have bought one great instrument.

I own a '92 Breedlove CM guitar and have played many higher end Breedloves. They are in a class by themselves. This uke is in that same class. One you would never regret buying I'm sure. I think you'd be blown away by how well you improved just by the quality and care Breedlove puts into their higher end instruments.

I just got a Breedlove guitar and it is amazing....only can imagine what their ukuleles are!! I looks too nice to sell, keep it for yourself.

Congrats on your guitar, Molokinirum! I'm sure it's tremendous. Breedlove only builds top-rate instruments, and they're still a bit of a well-kept secret, so far!

Patrick, it's radiused. I swear it's the best uke I've ever played (matched perhaps by Santa Cruz). Better than my previous Collings, better than a Mya-Moe mango I've played, and about as good as my Santa Cruz. (I've been having serious debate about whether to sell my remaining SC or this one!)

I don't have a sound clip, I'm afraid. I'll see what I can do about getting one together. It's very warm, with great responsiveness and volume.

Top Bottom