Supertone Sears Vintage Uke

SeaArtNancy

Reaction score
I just found a vintage Sears and Roebuck Supertone uke on Ebay....looks like mahogany,cute wood binding...it"ll be here in a few days!!!! YAY!!!!!!!
Any info on Supertones would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Happy Strumming to you all!!!!!!!

Hi Nancy, congrats on the Supertone, they are very cool. Supertone ukuleles were made for Sears by Harmony in Chicago. Many of the earlier Supertone ukuleles had rope binding and in general were pretty fancy. Sounds like yours is one of those. Eventually, I believe Sears bought Harmony, just to get their ukuleles as it was such a profit maker. Eventually, they changed the Supertone brand to Silvertone, which was Sears house name for musical instruments. Got any pics to share?

Supertone Vintage Uke

Hi Ryan! Here it is! It's pretty fancy and the body style is very "curvey"- for lack of a better word. I have a local luthier who can set this up lefty for me! I can't wait to hear what it sounds like!
:)

Attachments

• Sears.jpg
    Sears.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Sears1.jpg
    Sears1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 92
Good choice Nancy! I saw that one and thought about it. It is a great uke. This is when the mainland builders were building them in the style of Hawaiian built ukes and I have no doubt it will be a good player. All mahogany, and don't let anyone talk you out of those wonderful wood pegs! I have them on a bunch of old Ukes and they can work great.

Thanks so much!

Hi Ryan, thanks so much for your info on this uke! I'll keep it authentic! I wonder what year this was made?
I'm as excited as an 8 year old kid at the gates of DisneyWorld!!! I'll post a sound clip as soon as I get it set up! (and improve my playing) :)
Nancy

My guess would be 1920's. I think it is a particularly nice example. Sears bought Harmony in 1916, so it is certainly after that. It will be great to make it lefty and play it. I am glad it went to a UU member!

Underrated ukuleles, IMO. The action is typically higher than many folks like, but they are often nice sounding ukes; much better than the later, laminated ones.

I did a little reading up on Supertones- of what I can find on the internet...very exciting!!!! Thanks again for all your info! I can't wait to play it!

Wow, that's a sweetie. I've read that many Silvertones sound better than many of their Chicago made counterparts. Good luck with yours.

Wow congrats Nancy, it's adorable! I'm jealous!

it looks great! hope it sounds just as good!

Top Bottom