The "I bought an East-Start Semihollow electric uke" thread!

pootsie

Reaction score
The orders are in, this purchase group is now closed:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-would-like-a-deal-from-a-Chinese-uke-company
:music:
And so the waiting begins. I suppose if it works out nicely, another group may form to try it again. And if they turn out not so great, of course, we should let the community know.

The ukes are listed here:
http://www.east-start.com/products/...-solid-hollow-body-electric-jazz-ukulele.html

So, I promise a review when mine comes in. Perhaps some others could, as well? I am a novice uker at best, so a better musician might be more unsucky than I am ;)

Until then, I am posting here that I am waiting. And waiting. Is it here yet? No. Now? Not yet. How about now? Still not here ....

Discuss.

Just a question. What are the import taxes in the U.S.A. to buy an ukulele from China?

I've bought a variety of items directly from China, including a uke, there were no additional fees/taxes then what I paid when I ordered.

And if they turn out not so great, of course, we should let the community know.

Pootsieman, these are Kamoa Evolves, without the name or cost. I can't see how you can go wrong :)

Jealous of all 20 of you. I love the single cutaway models.

I sent an email to East-Start last night to not rush the order, to make sure they are constructed well. Also, to inform me when they receive the ukes, which they say will be sometime in late January.

Last edited:
You can contact them directly, on that web page use the 'Contact Us' tab at the top. That's what I did when I wanted the arch-top I saw. They gave me a single price and a volume price. In my case the single was $400, volume of 10 was $180 each, volume of 20 was $165 each, plus $80 DHL 2-4 day USA shipping, $90 elsewhere, they also gave us a volume deal for a hardcase of $28. There is also a 4.5% PayPal fee on top of everything.

Last edited:
I too am impatiently waiting... Looking for the delivery truck... Still waiting....

No, actually I agree with what Mike posted above, don't rush the order and goof something up!

If anyone happens to still be in contact with the factory, can you try to find out how much a small quantity of the following model would cost, landed in the USA?

You can post and inquiry on their web site Big K, there is just an online form to fill out. He will respond promptly.

All I need now is an amplifier, at least there should be some holiday sales coming up.

Pootsieman, these are Kamoa Evolves, without the name or cost. I can't see how you can go wrong :)

Jealous of all 20 of you. I love the single cutaway models.

While I agree with you, there has been much speculation around here. We will put it to rest one way or ther other!

All I need now is an amplifier, at least there should be some holiday sales coming up.

I should receive today a mini amp I ordered from China for $15, plugs right in to the uke. I'll test it out and let you know. Otherwise, a few years ago I bought a Crate Limo 50 watt battery amp for my guitars when I thought I'd be playing in the street. It's about $350, big and heavy, two inputs, effects, the whole nine yards. There are many compact, less expensive things out there.

mini amp.png

Last edited:
I should receive today a mini amp I ordered from China for $15, plugs right in to the uke. I'll test it out and let you know. Otherwise, a few years ago I bought a Crate Limo 50 watt battery amp for my guitars when I thought I'd be playing in the street. It's about $350, big and heavy, two inputs, effects, the whole nine yards. There are many compact, less expensive things out there.

mini amp.png

Yea, I have been trying to educate myself a bit online since this started. All I'm going to need is a decent practice amp and there are entry level practice/modeling amps from all the major players from $99 to $150. I'm going to hit the pawn shops as well and see what I can find there.

This should do:

4931152915_c84df22c73_o.jpg

:cool:

But for now I have a cheapo 10W practice amp until I am good enough

I still have an old Peavey Classic twin 12", it's from my rock n roll days. Still works and sounds great but I don't want to lug that out for noodling on the new electric uke. I've been looking around and the Roland micro cubes are WAY cool. I went over to the local Guitar Center and took one for a test drive. Awesome! They have them for $129.99. It's on the Christmas want list I gave my wife! :)

Top Bottom