My UAS might actually be cured...

OldePhart

Reaction score
Twice this month I've found myself ready to pull the trigger on a nice tenor (my goal for almost two years now has been to find a really nice koa tenor and then my ukulele hunting days are over) but at the last moment backed out thinking" "no, John, you need to save that money so you can put down a large down payment on a second motorcycle (I purchased my current motorcycle for cash in August).

I love my current motorcycle (V* cruiser) but after making a fairly lengthy trip last month there are some things it's not especially well suited to. Long trips and anything off smooth payment being among them. I've been thinking "it would be nice to have something more suitable for the trip to UWC next year and for camping..." but I don't want to give up the cruiser because it's the perfect bike for city traffic. As some of you may have noticed, this is very similar to the case for having a tenor in mahogany and another in koa, etc.

So, it seems that the cure for UAS is to become afflicted with something even more expensive, like MAS...

Fortunately, the logistics of paying for, and finding room for, motorcycles promises that my acquisition rate should be much slower...

John

My wife usually cures my UAS with things she is more additced to like things for the grandkids!

sounds like you need R1200GS...'course MAS is a lot more expensive than UAS. And storage takes up a LOT more room!

ukes and bikes, bikes and ukes... they kinda go together.

I'm a scooter person myself, but I traded my Yahama 180 Riva for an 1100 (1980) Goldwing a few years back.
I got blown into parallel lanes while crossing the I-90 bridge between Seattle and Bellevue, so I needed to put on weight or get a bigger bike, hence the Goldwing.

Commuted with the Honda for a few years until it developed starter problems. I had to park on an incline all the time to bump start the beast. Ended up giving it away in trade for some dryer-fixing advice. Hope it's still running somewhere.

I'd love to get a 150 Lambretta or a 450 Rebel, but I'm getting older (what does that hve to do with anything?!) and possibly 'wiser'? I was tempted by a Helix (250 Honda scooter) but had to pass since we needed the discretionary cash for my wife's trip 'home' (read HAWAII!!!) to be with her dad. And, of course, she'll need a bit of spending money... (don't we all?).

So, where were we? Oh, yeah, bikes and ukes... etc. I got the ukes, now I need a bike (even a Honda Trail 90!) :)

keep uke'in',

I thought I was over UAS but have for some reason started the browsing thing all over again, but not told the wife yet?

Twice this month I've found myself ready to pull the trigger on a nice tenor (my goal for almost two years now has been to find a really nice koa tenor and then my ukulele hunting days are over) but at the last moment backed out thinking" "no, John, you need to save that money so you can put down a large down payment on a second motorcycle (I purchased my current motorcycle for cash in August).

I love my current motorcycle (V* cruiser) but after making a fairly lengthy trip last month there are some things it's not especially well suited to. Long trips and anything off smooth payment being among them. I've been thinking "it would be nice to have something more suitable for the trip to UWC next year and for camping..." but I don't want to give up the cruiser because it's the perfect bike for city traffic. As some of you may have noticed, this is very similar to the case for having a tenor in mahogany and another in koa, etc.

So, it seems that the cure for UAS is to become afflicted with something even more expensive, like MAS...

Fortunately, the logistics of paying for, and finding room for, motorcycles promises that my acquisition rate should be much slower...

John
So what other motorcycle you thinking of getting? I am currently motorcycleless but I am saving up...

I like the 2 bike rule too. I want to get another dyna or sportster for town riding and then my touring bike for those long trips.

sounds like you need R1200GS...'course MAS is a lot more expensive than UAS. And storage takes up a LOT more room!

That's one strong possibility - though it's probably really more than I need. I'm also looking at the F700GS and F800GS - the F800GS Adventure would be my first choice except for the seat height; it's about 9" higher than the one on my cruiser. Now, the one on my cruiser is ridiculously low, but 9" is a lot! I have the feeling it would put me and my stumpy little legs on tippy-toe.

I think the geometry of the F700GS probably fits my body best, but come spring I'll test ride 'em all before committing to anything. If the F800GS is comfortable I'll probably go with it. I could still end up on the R1200GS - quite a bit heavier but the bike geometry is closer to the F700GS than the F800GS.

John

So you got the little Star! Congrats! What year? I LOVE mine, I do still miss the extra 250cc on my 'zuki, but the baby V Star is such a sweet handling little beast, nimble and flickable, I've never gone through the twisties as fast or with as comfortable a feeling. The lower center of gravity helps and it's so nice to be able to flat foot a bike, plus I don't miss the 100 pounds I lost moving "down". It's also a lot better on my back and wrists than the forward position. I got it on the fwy only up to 65, but I thought it would be laboring but it zoomed right up with nary a wheeze. It's very torquey too, I am liking the V twin even thought the power roll on is not quite as slick, it has a lot of grunt on the really steep stuff for a little beast. We were up at Saddle Peak in Malibu and a veteran adventure bike rider admired it and asked if it was a 750, lol. So are you moving up to the 650? We have three motos in the garage at the moment, down from 4, but the husband seems to have a new case of MAS since I kept saying "What's wrong with having more than two?" Except he just keeps getting dual sports.

ukes and bikes, bikes and ukes... they kinda go together.

I'm a scooter person myself, but I traded my Yahama 180 Riva for an 1100 (1980) Goldwing a few years back.
I got blown into parallel lanes while crossing the I-90 bridge between Seattle and Bellevue, so I needed to put on weight or get a bigger bike, hence the Goldwing.

Commuted with the Honda for a few years until it developed starter problems. I had to park on an incline all the time to bump start the beast. Ended up giving it away in trade for some dryer-fixing advice. Hope it's still running somewhere.

I'd love to get a 150 Lambretta or a 450 Rebel, but I'm getting older (what does that hve to do with anything?!) and possibly 'wiser'? I was tempted by a Helix (250 Honda scooter) but had to pass since we needed the discretionary cash for my wife's trip 'home' (read HAWAII!!!) to be with her dad. And, of course, she'll need a bit of spending money... (don't we all?).

So, where were we? Oh, yeah, bikes and ukes... etc. I got the ukes, now I need a bike (even a Honda Trail 90!) :)

keep uke'in',

When I started thinking about getting a bike again after 30 years away I was thinking seriously about a scooter but I couldn't get used to the feel. No tank to grip between the legs; even the big fancy scooters felt like I was sitting on a commode... LOL

John

So you got the little Star! Congrats! What year? I LOVE mine, I do still miss the extra 250cc on my 'zuki, but the baby V Star is such a sweet handling little beast, nimble and flickable, I've never gone through the twisties as fast or with as comfortable a feeling. The lower center of gravity helps and it's so nice to be able to flat foot a bike, plus I don't miss the 100 pounds I lost moving "down". It's also a lot better on my back and wrists than the forward position. I got it on the fwy only up to 65, but I thought it would be laboring but it zoomed right up with nary a wheeze. It's very torquey too, I am liking the V twin even thought the power roll on is not quite as slick, it has a lot of grunt on the really steep stuff for a little beast. We were up at Saddle Peak in Malibu and a veteran adventure bike rider admired it and asked if it was a 750, lol. So are you moving up to the 650? We have three motos in the garage at the moment, down from 4, but the husband seems to have a new case of MAS since I kept saying "What's wrong with having more than two?" Except he just keeps getting dual sports.

Hey Teek - actually I went ahead and got the 650. I let the guys on the V* forum talk me up to it and I'm glad I did. The 250 would have been okay in town but I'm a pretty big (read "heavy") guy and I don't think it would have cut it for me on the highway for very long. The 650 is okay on the highway but pretty tiring on long trips (I did a 490 mile weekend last month just to get a feel for how a long trip would go). At 70 MPH the engine is spinning pretty fast and after a couple of hours the V-twin vibration takes its toll. Above 70MPH it's also well past its torque band so passing has to be pretty carefully planned - kind of like driving an economy car so I'm used to it. LOL Fastest I've had it was 80 (passing on a two-lane) and it was pretty stable but I wouldn't want to run it that hard for very long, at all.

I think if I was going to ride it on the open highway a lot I'd want something bigger - at least the 950 and maybe even the 1300 - mostly to keep the RPMs down for less vibration. The mid- to big-V twins will run the highway fine but the fatigue factor kicks in a lot earlier than it does on a smoother bike - I think I understand why so many guys trailer their Sportsters to rallies...

If I have to make a long trip on the 650 I know I can do it - but it would be a lot more comfortable on a bike designed for that sort of thing!

Actually, if they'd just put 6-speed transmissions in the cruisers they'd be fine for long runs on the highway, even the 650. By the time I hit 55 I'm looking for sixth gear and it ain't there!

John

So what other motorcycle you thinking of getting? I am currently motorcycleless but I am saving up...

I like the 2 bike rule too. I want to get another dyna or sportster for town riding and then my touring bike for those long trips.

See my reply to UkerDan. Yeah...the main thing that kicked me over the top to getting a bike again after not riding for about 30 years was actually practical. I'd almost bought one several times over the last few years but couldn't "justify" such an expensive toy. But, there are days when we need three cars in the family and we can only park two here. It was move or get a bike that I could fit between the cars. So, I got something that primarily would be comfortable for riding in city traffic (aka sitting at traffic lights) and the V* is great for that. But, I can fit two bikes between the two cars and once I got back on a bike I remembered how much fun they are so... :)

John

I hate to be the brake it to you, it doesn't work, in either direction. This last year I purchased another bike, that makes 4 in the garage. I had planned on selling one off but haven't done that yet for some reason. Thankfully, I have literally no more room in the garage, so I think that's it for MAS. Meanwhile, I'm still buying ukes, like a certain electric I don't need but still bought. The only acquisition syndrome I seemed to have cured is FAS...food acquisition...no money left to buy any of it.

I hear ya. I ride a Virago 1100, and I'm looking to upgrade to a larger bike. Larger as in size more than engine, but will do both. I'm 6'2", and my Virago is nice for how I use it, but after 4-hours traveling, the bike starts to feel pretty small to me and I just wish for more moving around room. So, while I'm not officially saving now, it is in the works for me. However, I'll have to make a new saddle bag uke to match whatever bike I end up with.
100_0440.jpg

100_0439.jpg

Dan

I sold off my last Harley and bought a used MB CLK cabriolet. I can put a number of guitars, banjos and ukes in the trunk and back seat.
Being able to leave the top up on days like today, 15 degrees and snow on the ground, is another benefit.

Top Bottom