WTB: First Uke, preferably the Kala SSTU-C....

Menteerd

Reaction score
Looking to purchase my first Uke, anyone upgraded that wants to pass on their first one? Thanks!

It's my first uke, so I can't say my heart is set on anything... I'll go handle the tenor at my local store and see what I think. Thanks!

So I went and held the tenor , and loved it. It was beautiful and didn't feel much bigger than the concert. I'm in the navy, and need it to fit in small locker onboard. It looks to be able to fit fine. However, while I was there I also found some other ukes that sounded and played beautiful that were half the price. So now I am torn and have no idea what uke I should get.
As for the mahogany soprano, how much were you asking? My son also wants to learn with me, and I was going to get him a dolphin but for the right price I could bd swayed to the kala....

What should I do???

Thanks everyone!

[QUOTEWhat should I do???

Thanks everyone![/QUOTE]

You need to decide where you going to be using this Uke and how much abuse you think it will get. The first choice is whether to go laminate or solid wood. Laminate is rugged and less susceptible to humidity changes. Solid Ukes sound better, but require much more care and cost more. Solid wood needs to be humidified when the humidity is low and dehumidified when it is high, otherwise it could crack when dry or have the glue separate when moist. You can get a good quality laminate Uke, for less money than solid wood, they just might not be as loud. Just be sure you buy it from someone that does a good setup, that goes for both laminate or solid.

You said your son would like to learn along with you, how old is he and is he big or small for his age. This maybe a factor when deciding what size to get him. But, size is a personal preference. I happen to like concert or tenor, concert being the favorite for playability and tenor for sound. I also have a soprano that I use when traveling, just because of the size. All personal preference.

Good luck and enjoy. Just remember, it is your first Uke and you may love it or hate it. If you love it, you can always upgrade, if you hate it you haven’t wasted too much money and you could always give to someone that might enjoy it.

So I went and held the tenor , and loved it. It was beautiful and didn't feel much bigger than the concert. I'm in the navy, and need it to fit in small locker onboard. It looks to be able to fit fine. However, while I was there I also found some other ukes that sounded and played beautiful that were half the price. So now I am torn and have no idea what uke I should get.
As for the mahogany soprano, how much were you asking? My son also wants to learn with me, and I was going to get him a dolphin but for the right price I could bd swayed to the kala....

What should I do???

Thanks everyone!

In my scientific and unbiased opinion, every one of the ukes you played at the store is rubbish. You will only be happy with the one I am selling. :rotfl: :biglaugh:

In all seriousness, I think everyone here would tell you that if you have the opportunity to play it first (in a store), and you like it, and you're satisfied with the price, then that is the uke you should buy.

Buy the one you enjoy holding, playing and hearing the most

I ended up buying the tenor kala travel uke. I loved its sound and the way it felt. Now if I could just figure out these strumming patterns. Thanks everyone!!!!

Top Bottom