Some vids on design and proportion in nature which correspond to uke design

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
I'm at work right now, so I don't have any way to find out. But, do any dimensions on the uke follow the Golden Ratio?

I'm at work right now, so I don't have any way to find out. But, do any dimensions on the uke follow the Golden Ratio?

Only if you do it right. The classic figure 8 guitar/ uke/ violin shape can be made with the Golden ratio in all sorts of places and they tend to look good that way. Whether that is the best way to make them sound good or if we like the way they sound because that's the way they sound is another question.

The other issue is if they were made with the golden ratio in mind or if they were made to look good and the golden ratio, as usual, just cropped up as a consequence. Probably many people have at times either independently or after extensive luthiery and design study take the golden ratio into account and the rest of us have just liked the look and copied it, swearing blind that we were doing our own thing (damn you puny slightly evolved ape brain).

Perhaps musical instruments and design are just highly developed sabre tooth tiger tooth necklaces designed to show our prowess and get us laid and nothing more. If that's the case then I am probably in trouble. What is the a ratio of the size of the big teeth and the small teeth on a sabre tooth tiger? - I might be on to something here.

Top Bottom