Tenor Harp Ukulele

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
3 New aNueNue brand Tenor Harp Ukulele - this is part of the private stock sent to me by aNueNue in payment for the licensing of my design. These are high spec. Two come with a fitted case and one has no case - this one is $1230/£750. The specification can be got from the aNueNue website: http://www.anuenue-uke.com/html_version/#frame_electric_29. I think it's probably safe to say that these are the only new aNueNue Tenor Harp Ukulele available because there was a limited run that ended last year. Postage is extra... please contact me through my email address if you are interested. International enquirers will be required to pay either through PayPal or by bank transfer. Please factor into your decision to buy the 4.9% fee I require you to pay if using PayPal. On a purchase of this size, bank transfer may be the better value option.

Here is a pic for you if you don't know what one of these is:

Great recording. Can't even hear the water running over the rocks. Is this an acoustic version of lip synching? Is that Milli or Vanilli playing?

Jan is amazing, I've been following him all year. On Youtube, that is. I'm not his crazed stalker.

I'd love to purchase the uke, however I don't really play that style of music so it would be purely "look what I've got!" rather than an instrument I could actively use.

I'll promote this topic around though and see if we can find some owners, as they sound lovely. :)

That's awesome. What are the sub-basses tuned to?

As with all non-standard instruments you can tune it how you wish and the regular tuning police can't touch you :) A guy in the UK tunes his harp ukes to a uke version of guitar DADGAD. Although I designed this with 4 sub bass strings I think it makes more sense just to have 3 - the diatonic tuning used by most is something I just could not do and would tune the strings so much differently...

Last edited:
Those supplied with the instrument come from Canada. D'Addario do single classical strings. I suggest you use a wound G for 4,5 & 6 and a wound D for 7 & 8. Kevin Waldron has a great set of templates for these things and I think his design modifications of my drawings are great. He also has a scaled tree of life in his templates - that dude is serious about CAD/CAM. I suggest you get in touch with him before you embark on this journey. Catch my facebook group if you want to see a build of one in progress. It's going to be my last.

There are also couple of videos of Sungha Jung playing the harp ukulele but Jan Laurenz is the better musician and emphasizes the uniqueness of this instrument in his playing.

Those supplied with the instrument come from Canada. D'Addario do single classical strings. I suggest you use a wound G for 4,5 & 6 and a wound D for 7 & 8. Kevin Waldron has a great set of templates for these things and I think his design modifications of my drawings are great. He also has a scaled tree of life in his templates - that dude is serious about CAD/CAM. I suggest you get in touch with him before you embark on this journey. Catch my facebook group if you want to see a build of one in progress. It's going to be my last.

Thanks Pete-
I'm definitely going to make a harp uke and im sure ill come crying to you at some stage next year :)

I agree - Sungha Jung's compositional skills have yet to be developed. He's playing this harp ukulele like a guitar. Not much imagination there or exploitation of the sub-bass strings.

Hi Pete

I am Jan the player on that video,of course you can use it! i would be glad!!
sorry if i just answer now,i'm not much into those forum stuffs...
best regards
Jan

Hi John
The reason why you cannot hear the water running on the rocks is quiet simple........
usually "videoclips" are made this way: a "good" sounding audio file wich is previousely recorded by the musician will be later mixed and
sincronized with the videofootage...........it may gives a Milli Vanilli feeling but it's still better than hearing mostly or only
water running over rocks or "other" noises wich are captureted by the videocamera,instead of the playing......but that's just my opinion :)
Another difference is that the Milli Vanilli guys who appear on theyr videos weren't the actual real musicians on the recordings,just models,it was a fake,wich is not my case......
Cheers Jan

Nice playing @jan! As a bass-playing uker (or uke playing bassist, I actually gig on the bass, not the uke) I'm going to have to have one of these some day. But alas, it's probably not going to be soon.

John

Very, very cool playing. Mesmerizing, actually. I have a hard enough time with four strings on one freeboard. Add in another instrument conjoined to the uke and I might as well be trying to pat my head and rub my tummy. :D

Will definitely check out more of your stuff on Youtube, Jan.

I love people pushing the boundaries of instruments and exploring new frontiers, I'm glad I saw this and the video.
Congrats to Pete and Jan.
Also, the harp is very special, something carried around by bardic druids who would play/sing people back to happy spirits, and often teach them a lesson, tell them a story and/or give them counsel in the song.
The Uke, with it's uplifting quality/voice and size reminds me quite a bit of those small portable harps, so it seems fitting to see them combined.

Top Bottom