product demo in Numubu today

Jon Moody

Reaction score
For anyone that is interested, I will be doing a live product demonstration at 2pm EST today, showcasing the new GHS Strings Fluorocarbon line of uke strings.

Just click on the link below, and then there will be a green LIVE BROADCAST button for you to click on, which will open a new window. There is the ability for people to type in questions that I can answer live, so please feel free. And if there's anything you'd like to see covered, please let me know right now and I'll make sure to address it.

http://www.numubu.com/ghsstrings

Looks like I missed it. Will it be posted later?

I was lucky to have demoed the D tuning strings and I liked them a lot. Looking forward to getting another set for my Flea.

I think so. Either way, we're planning on making a number of demos, talking about our new strings.

I still have your address, so I have a feeling that the GHS Elves may be throwing some in the mail...

Only got a blank screen. Oh well...

Well that's a bummer.

I'm talking with the NuMuBu guys about doing another on in early January, covering some more technical things like changing strings, and other things that people who have just gotten a ukulele may not know how to do.

It was a good demo, and with the cost as cheap as it is, five bucks, worth trying to see how your uke likes 'em. They haven't found a Low-G they like yet, so that leaves me out. I'm happy with the Worth Low-G, the Living Waters unwound, and the Southcoast wound, they all sound pretty good to me.

Steve

It was a good demo, and with the cost as cheap as it is, five bucks, worth trying to see how your uke likes 'em. They haven't found a Low-G they like yet, so that leaves me out. I'm happy with the Worth Low-G, the Living Waters unwound, and the Southcoast wound, they all sound pretty good to me.

Steve

Exactly. We've tried a number of gauges (.035, .040) in fluorocarbon that are comparable gauges of what other companies are using for their low G strings. Frankly, the ones that we had here sounded terrible at that tuning. They were overly boomy, the tone was a bit dull and there was a definite "thud" in the attack.

gauge, length, tension by pounds

Length of all the fluoro strings are 42"; the wound 3rd is closer to 36" or so.

Gauges are below. I'm still working on the tension charts, mainly because the original info I received from the company we get these for I've already found some discrepancy that changed my original numbers considerably. So, I still need to weigh the strings myself at which point I'll have an accurate weight for each string that we're confident of.

Please also realize that gauges are just that; the thickness of the string. The weight of the string is going to have a larger effect on tension than the gauge (using my findings with a .035 and .040 string for a low G as an example), as is the scale of the instrument itself. In prototyping, I had the same proposed set on two different tenors, and one had the strings feel a lot looser than the other. The difference is the scale of the two tenors was off by 1/2", which will have a large effect.

Set # - Gauges gCEA
20 - .022, .0319, .028, .022
H-20 - .0307, .035, .033, .026
H-T20 - .0307, H-T13 (.035 aluminum wound), .033, .026
H-T20F (high tension for fingerstyle) - .0307, H-T13 (.035 aluminum wound), .035, .027

Top Bottom