NUD: New Uke Day

allanr

Reaction score
So... It just came off the truck in subzero weather.

Now we'll wait together while it slowly acclimatizes!

OK... It's unpacked and restrung. A vintage Gretsch soprano, probably from the late 40s early 50s.

I bought this on Ebay, and I must say the seller did a less than stellar job in describing it accurately. It arrived completely unplayable. In addition to the one repaired crack on the back, disclosed, there was second smaller one. Also the beginnings of two small splits near the sound hole. All minor, but should have been highlighted and disclosed.

It was also completely unplayable as the original tuners no longer worked. They had been badly repaired with glue, one of them required judicious use of both pliers and acetone to remove! Fortunately, I had a spare set of vintage style tuners which I was able to use instead.

Anyway, it's finally all put together. It looks nice, and sounds great. Not quite as nice as vintage Martin, but definitely up there with my Gibson or with friend's Favillas.

Attachments

• Gretsch__3120.jpg
    Gretsch__3120.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Gretsch__3121.jpg
    Gretsch__3121.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 39
  • Gretsch__3122.jpg
    Gretsch__3122.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Gretsch_3119.jpg
    Gretsch_3119.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 58
Very nice. Congrats! I like old.

Thanks! This one is for my wife. She mentioned last month that all the vintage ukes belonged to me, so I fixed that for her :)

Congrats. I've gotten some healthy partial refunds because of stuff like that.

Aloha Allen,
Congrat to you and your wife...looks pretty good to me...sorry it's like that most times when buying online...glad you got it fixed...how does it sound, you did not mention that?
anyways happy strummings..... was it a real good deal?

how cool....congrats! isn't it neat how so many old ukuleles have been preserved?

Allan, sorry about the seller, and condition. But it's good to hear you had the skills and tools to make the uke playable! It's so frustrating to have to wait for parts and/or assistance... Congrats on the uke!

Top Bottom