PDA

View Full Version : Do you play only ukulele?

ChiyoDad
02-24-2008, 10:25 AM
The last poll that I posted (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=537) revealed that (to-date) 53% of its respondents had a preference for tenor-size ukes. Concerts (and super-concerts) came in a strong second at 31%.

I noticed how often the guitar seems to come-up in discussions. We even have a guitar subsection in the forum. I'm now curious to find out how many members of our forum play both the ukulele and the guitar. What should we call that? Bi-fretal?

Anyway, here's the poll. Have fun!

Minamin
02-24-2008, 12:41 PM
I have no interest in guitar at all. However, I don't play only the ukulele; I recently got a jaw harp!

The only other instruments I'd be interested in learning are sitar (not realistic) and charango.

experimentjon
02-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Well, depending on what the criteria are for "play guitar" I guess I play both guitar and ukulele. =)

bluesuke
02-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I play ukulele and harmonica.Neither very well but I enjoy playing both:D

Esy
02-24-2008, 01:09 PM
I play only on ukulele ;]

but previously i make ebatbox :p

mossyoak
02-24-2008, 01:28 PM
started on guitar. Later picked up ukulele. I didn't have too tough a time to pick up the chords but I like it just as much maybe more then guitar.

drubin
02-24-2008, 01:55 PM
I also play weissenborn, dobro, and piano. If only I had two more hands I could accompany myself while I play ukulele. :D

tripl3thr33
02-24-2008, 02:01 PM
i used to play guitar but i found myself going back to playing the uke a lot lol. i play on it every month or so though.

ChiyoDad
02-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Well, depending on what the criteria are for "play guitar" I guess I play both guitar and ukulele. =)
Yeah. I was thinking that should be a follow-up poll for folks who do play both the guitar and ukulele: "Which instrument do you play better/worse?".

I had noted that there were folks who started on guitar but later opted for ukulele. That's why I structured the poll as it is.

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-24-2008, 06:22 PM
oops should have put the last answer -.-

starting guitar soon!

JumpingPulgas
02-24-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm learning how to play the uke and guitar at the same time, but I find that I play the uke a lot more. I'm also trying to learn the Conga drum.

jjsdad
02-24-2008, 07:11 PM
I learned to play the ukulele when I was child growing up in Hawaii, but I'm still not very good. I also play the piano and guitar and used to play the alto recorder in college.

tsudawuda
02-24-2008, 07:16 PM
just ukulele can get boring. So I also play piano, drums, guitar, and ocarina...yes, I bought one.

NukeDOC
02-24-2008, 09:45 PM
started with they keys when i was a kid, but didnt start to really learn till i was about 15. then picked up the guitar when i was 17 in the philippines. just got the uke last august. i rarely play my keyboard, and i cant say i was ever really any good at the guitar. but because of the ease of learning the uke, my guitar playing has gotten much better too.

davoomac
02-24-2008, 10:01 PM
I play both the guitar and the ukulele starting both of them around the same time. I am way better at ukulele than guitar though.

I played the trumpet and the piano first though, but haven't played em in a LOONG time.

ChiyoDad
02-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Hmm. So far, bi-fretals are at about 55%. Ukulele-monogamists are at about 33%. :D

And guitar-divorcées are at 10%. :D :D

tripl3thr33
02-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Hmm. So far, bi-fretals are at about 55%. Ukulele-monogamists are at about 33%. :D

And guitar-divorcées are at 10%. :D :D

hahaha thats a good way of putting things.

Misguided Musician
02-25-2008, 01:14 PM
The first thing I learned was piano, but I really wanted to play the drums or the guitar and they said no. I gave up on piano and started learning drums and joined the drumline when I was in middleschool. In 8th grade I picked up the ukulele and loved it. And finally the summer of 07, I picked up the guitar and haven't let go since. I will always love the drums, ukulele, and guitar.

mako
02-25-2008, 10:24 PM
I play, Ukulele, Guitar, Lap-Steel guitar, Analog keyboards (moog, etc...), Harmonica, Melodica and I'm also programming, recording and mixing.
I'm in to Electronica, Reggae-dub, Rock, pop and Tahitian music.

nikolo727
02-26-2008, 06:04 AM
i play the ukulele only

i used to play the trumpet.

someone stole my mouthpeice and i just didnt feel like playing anymore

so now im a ukulele man!

I want to learn how to play bass though

that would be cool

dnewton2
02-26-2008, 07:05 AM
I played the trupet a long time ago. I tried guitar found it to hard, I was not patient enough. I got a didgeredoo (sp?) a year ago for christmas I am not that good. I recently, about 4 months ago got a ukulele and I can't seem to stop playing with it, it's a good thing.

Aldrine Guerrero
02-26-2008, 07:51 AM
I play ukulele, guitar, clarinet, and saxophone, some piano.

:D

rklicsu
02-26-2008, 09:34 AM
For now, I only play the ukulele.

tori8984
02-26-2008, 04:43 PM
I played saxophone in band at school (alto and baritone)

I bought a mandolin 3 years ago, the tension on the strings makes practise painful until you lose sensativity in your fingers. (i like bluegrass)

Got a uku a year and a half ago and love it, much easier on the fingers much warmer and mellower sound.

Got a guitar last christmas and am trying to learn it. ( I usually end up playing it like the uku, mute the top two strings with my thumb)

I play ukulele much more than anything else, cant help it

titoboy5
02-27-2008, 07:05 PM
i started with uke and then guitar.

KAWIKA27
02-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Im starting to play more and more instuments Right now i play the UKULELE, Guitar, Some piano and the most recent of my collection a Dulcimer although that one i just kinda make up my own stuff cuz i cant find cords for it.

Howlin Hobbit
02-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Ukulele and guitar and harmonica and drums and washboard and pocket sax and a couple flutey things and bass and washtub bass and hand percussion thingies and a little tiny bit of keyboards.

But I chose ukulele and guitar in the poll cuz you didn't have a choice like the above.

dajoka
02-27-2008, 08:38 PM
i can play trombone, euphonium, and ukulele. I'm still in the learning stages of playing slack key guitar. One ting i noticed is how I tend to play either ukulele or guitar for a while befo I switch back to da odda one. right now, I'm on da ukulele :-D

\m/

northern uke
03-01-2008, 03:10 AM
Played trumpet all through my school days, and now uke and nothing but!

Jimmy
03-01-2008, 03:22 AM
I play ukulele and bass guitar, if that counts. I've also been playing the violin for 5 years.

NotoriousMOK
03-04-2008, 05:54 PM
I play uke and african hand drums. While I have a great appreciation for guitars I will likely never play one -- it's just not my thing. Somebody thrust a guitar in my lap one time, and it felt like I was holding a ladder -- made me laugh.

I really like the walking stick upright bass from Konabob, and will likely get one from him next time uke fest is in town. If so, that will probably be plenty to keep me busy for the next few years.

bof
03-05-2008, 03:26 AM
I play the Ukulele and Piano, from time to time i also use my brothers Drum-kit. I also make some electronic music if I find time, which was very rare in the last 6 month :(. Wanna learn guitar next year.. But a small guitar, probably a guitarlele or a slack-key guitar

ChiyoDad
03-11-2008, 06:11 AM
I wonder what makes some folks quit the guitar completely for ukulele?

seeso
03-12-2008, 11:35 AM

I haven't quit the other instruments, but I've been almost exclusively ukulele for over a year now. I only bust out the guitar or piano when a song really calls for it. When I play out, I only bring the ukulele.

It's just a love for the instrument that led me to ukulele exclusivity. The way it sounds, its Hawaiian origins, its transportability.

NukeDOC
03-12-2008, 11:37 AM
yeah i never quit any of the other instruments either. matter of fact, i truly believe that getting better at the ukulele has made me a better guitar player.

davoomac
03-12-2008, 11:51 AM
yeah i never quit any of the other instruments either. matter of fact, i truly believe that getting better at the ukulele has made me a better guitar player.

I'm totally the same way. I found out that I became a better guitar player just by practicing ukulele all the time.

redsedge
03-12-2008, 11:38 PM
I started on the piano, then played mandolin and guitar, didn't play at all for ages, then picked up the saxophone. Now it's the ukulele. I'm just an instrument tart!

HumbleSounds
03-13-2008, 12:22 AM
I started on bass, then hand drums,then to the didgeridoo, then went to the uke, then to the guitar. I switched of on the two for a while, plateau with progression on one switch to the other. That help me stay fresh. I started on the mandolin for a while but then I sat on it:eek:

But since finding the underground through Aldrine's vids on you tube my uke playing has been overhauled, and I am a better player for it.

Mahalo nui loa

hubcapserf
03-13-2008, 03:51 AM
Yah, I play guitars, and am actually a bassist. I hardly ever play either anymore unless I have rehearsal. I was bitten by the ukulele bug about 3 yrs ago, and thats all I want to play anymore.

4strings707
03-13-2008, 06:30 PM
I can still play both but i sold my guitar for another uke. Unfortunately, I spent that money on other debts. Damn i miss my guitar.

russ_buss
03-13-2008, 07:40 PM
guitar for about 10 years. just started ukulele a few months ago and i would say i give both the same amount of attention at this point. i'm hoping to keep it that way.

other instruments i play but at a lesser skill level are harmonica and mandolin.

and even less than that, electric bass, banjo and drums.

ukulelemike
03-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Only the ukulele at present--have attempted the guitar, but having played the ukulele I don't bother with the six stringed beast any longer.

Bruce_B
03-14-2008, 12:02 PM
I've played guitar, bass, and keyboards off and on for years. One day I got interested in the ukulele. I don't know what caused my interest in it but I bought one and it's all I've played since. I love this little instrument. I've got UAS real bad. I just ordered another one today :D

tribal_theory1
03-15-2008, 10:04 PM
i play uke mainly, but i can play enough guitar to know i'm not useless on it. :D