Uke Size Preference (Poll) - 2nd Attempt

Which size uke(s) do you play regularly? (can check multiple)

• Own one or more Sopranos

Votes: 72 63.2%
  • Own one or more Concerts

Votes: 67 58.8%
  • Own one or more Tenors

Votes: 69 60.5%
  • Play Soprano regularly

Votes: 40 35.1%
  • Play Concert regularly

Votes: 49 43.0%
  • Play Tenor regularly

Votes: 53 46.5%
  • Only own one size but would like another

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • This poll is ridiculous

Votes: 13 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
In follow-up to RedRamen's post, I thought I'd toss out this poll on uke size preferences among soprano, concert and tenor (sorry if this offends those who only play or also play bass uke, but I wanted to focus on the more popular sizes and tunings).

I *prefer* Concert size, but I own multiple Tenors and Sopranos, so I answered as such!

AND Own 1 or more baritones, and play them regularly.

I've got all three sizes in the poll plus a baritone. I like them all. Still experimenting with tunings.

Hard to pick a favorite but I'm leaning toward the concert with tenor running a close second.

I actually have all FOUR sizes (the poll ought to have included baritone ukuleles) and I play tenor and baritone about the same amount.

Ive never owned a baritone. I have a guitar, so I never bothered. Maybe I should look into it...

To me, the "uke sound" really is a soprano wired up a step to A, chucka-chucka strumming.

This said, my tenor's grand!

Planning to get a long-necked soprano in the Spring. Maybe this'll give me the best of both worlds.

In follow-up to RedRamen's post, I thought I'd toss out this poll on uke size preferences among soprano, concert and tenor (sorry if this offends those who only play or also play bass uke, but I wanted to focus on the more popular sizes and tunings).

I think it's unfair this poll leaves out baritone ukulele
it's very much part of the family

acoustically-soprano or Long Neck Soprano
plugged into a Roland Microcube- Tenor
banjo ukulele- concert
multiple strings- tiple (tenor? but tuned dGBE)

I know this might sound goofy, but all six of my ukuleles are configured exactly the same; tenor cutaway with electronics, even the jazz style arch-top steel string that's on it's way. I first had a soprano six months ago before I knew about sizes, and very quickly found it to be too small for me. In reading up, I learned that tenor is usually best suited for guitar players (I've been one for almost 50 years) so I went with it, feels just right, not too small, not too large.

IMG_0037.JPG
archtop style.jpg

Last edited:
A few months ago, I would have said soprano is my primary size but recently I've mostly been playing my Bruko concert. The sound has really been maturing; bright but not brash. In fact, a guitarist I was sat next to at a recent folk music evening commented on the sound.

I've also recently acquired a tenor which I like for its more mellow tone. I still like my flea but I'm less satisfied with my other sopranos and will be disposing of a couple and replacing them with one I tried at a recent uke fest.

I own all three, but divide my time in the main between concert and soprano. Going back to tenor always feels too big now. :)

My stable consists of sopranos and concerts, both newer and vintage, and I prefer the concert scale. Since my less expensive soprano(s) sit out and un-cased, they are most readily available and tend to get strummed more often.

I have all four sizes. Several times I have decided that I had a favorite size and have considered selling the others. Three weeks later, same thing different size. Each is good for different songs. I play similar songs on the soprano and concert (reentrant C tuning). But different songs on my tenor (linear C tuning). And another set of songs on my baritone (linear F tuning).

All that being said I am currently in a soprano/concert phase.

I mostly play soprano. But now that it's December, I find that my concert cedar-top with Worth Browns has the coziest holiday sound, so I'm playing that far more than usual right now.

Sopranos get the most love at my place. Then the baritone. The concerts get an occasional cuddle. Tenors are like the weird, embarrassing uncle.

Sopranos get the most love at my place. Then the baritone. The concerts get an occasional cuddle. Tenors are like the weird, embarrassing uncle.

nice the baritone isn't even an option here
I find it really sad/ and almost hurtful to this
instrument I love so much why is it left out?
for me concert and Bari are my favorites
I never played a tenor I'm considering one
but than again I could put gcea strings on my Bari
and get an overall similar sound.

Top Bottom