Low G and picking.....

JollySam

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just restrung my Lanikai LU-11 with a low G string, which provides a great extra dimension especially when strumming. However I am questioning the fit for picking since the distance is far greater from the other notes, so when you pick the G, it sounds more like a thud... or a drum beat. My immediate thought is that Low G ukes are not best for picking, but perhaps one just needs to approach it differently, like pick it more gently so the other strings are more dominant. Perhaps there might be better picking pattern??

Thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

What kind of low G are you using? The unwound ones tend to "thud" a bit more, but don't squeak. The wound ones tend to be brighter and have a different tone than the other strings.

Lots and lots of people pick on low G. Some great examples are Herb Ohta Jr. and Brittni Paiva. You should spend some time with it and see what you come up with.

Strings vary quite a bit, and each uke will sound different with a low g string. It takes some experimentation to find the right one. Sometimes, you find a low G string that sounds too loud compared to the other strings. In that case, you can alter your playing style a bit to pluck that string lighter, or try another low G. You can mix and match string set combos if necessary. Often times you can purchase a single string low G uke string, or get a D string for a guitar.

–Lori

What kind of low G are you using? The unwound ones tend to "thud" a bit more, but don't squeak.

Seconding that, and LaBella and Fremont both make "squeakless" flatwound low G strings that I think sound much better than any unwound low G string. Personally I don't care for low G for strumming at all, but I often use my low G uke for fingerpicking. I've found the "thud" problem to hold true for every brand of unwound strings that I've tried; I prefer either the squeakless wound strings or a wound guitar D string.

As part of my quest to see if I was a tenor guy (I'm not), I put a Fremont smooth wound low G on a basic Kala. I find it rings forever, drowning out the other notes, almost like a drone on the bagpipes. It also vibrates on its own, picking up harmonics or whatever the correct term is, from other plucked strings. Don't care for it at all.

And speaking of bagpipes, everyone knows the difference between onions and the bagpipes of course (Nobody cries when you cut up the bagpipes- badda-boom) Apologies to the bagpipe players out there. I actually like their lamenting sound. And no bagpipes were harmed in the telling of this old joke.

Great comments, thanks.

In my case the string is unwound fluorocarbon, very high quality. I use them on my other ukes with high G sets as well. Nice and accurate. So really interested that other folks have picked up on this "thud" property of unwound low g strings. Obviously it would be interesting to try some wound ones. Yes experimentation is key. However I do believe that using low g strings has much potential. Also creates more volume. Drone property is also interesting.

Sam

Interesting artist list. Just discovered brittni paiva. Really good.

Personally, I have never gotten over the low G thud, as you say, JSam. I hear it, too, and simply cannot remove it from my mind, no matter what low G I play on. And yes, I hear it when others play low G. Maybe it's a "me" thing, and I have ears for low G's, depth charges and sub-sonic earthquakes.

When I see some big time players, like Brit Paiva that Brad (also a low-G player, himself) mentions, they seem to play the melody on the E and A strings (as we all do), and use the low G as an accent or with a strum. That's my take on it. (example--all of her tunes, Tell U What, etc. are like this)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhgltbDC-BI

Bottom line, the less one plucks the low G, the better.

Unless you are playing music that benefits from the bass line that can be created with it, in which case, sometimes more is better. That's why most players do not put low g's on all their ukes, but on those they use for songs that are enhanced by it.

Low G tuning allows you to play more melodies in keys that are uke friendly. I use the low g for melodic arrangements. I still have a lot of re-entrant songs I like to play, so I have to have both kinds. The flat wound LaBella worked great on my Mya-Moe Resonator Concert, but was a real dud on the KoAloha long neck soprano. I ended up using a Living Water non-wound low G for that, and it was much better.

–Lori

phil, Yes agree with you on this I have a low g soprano lanikai and a high g version.

Last edited:
. Maybe it's a "me" thing, and I have ears for low G's, depth charges and sub-sonic earthquakes. .

This put such a smile on my face :)

Looked at the Britni YT, and I now see it. Also looks like she is using clear fluorocarbon strings with something different for the low g.

Thanks.

I have one uke with a low g wound string which I use for picking and it gives me another range of music I can play. The wound g is a bit boomy so I have to adopt a slightly different style of playing to my high g ukes. Makes life interesting.

Like so many have noted, I also use the low and hi Gs on different Ukes. I'm using the Aquila red set on my LoPrinzi tenor, and I think it has a rich sound, pretty well balanced for my ears. I have a cheap A/E uke that I slapped a classical guitar string on to try low g, and it's just adequate acoustically, but it amplifies well.

I have one uke with a low g wound string which I use for picking and it gives me another range of music I can play. The wound g is a bit boomy so I have to adopt a slightly different style of playing to my high g ukes. Makes life interesting.

Yes agree with this. What wound string do you use? Also I see the low g enabling the uke to do different things. One of my key interests is exploring how it can be used to accompany my folk singing, with the singing being the dominant force as singing is my stronger competence. I have been singing acapella so hopefully a subtle addition of the uke will create a synergistic effect.

Thanks,

Sam

I agree with what Phil says, in my case I have one uke strung low g for specific pick tunes where it suits best.

Starting from guitar at first I preferred low G. After all guitar is a couple of boomy bass strings and then some higher strings. It took me a while to adapt but now I see low G as something I use in special situations and not as the default. Ukulele is a different instrument from guitar and I've grown to appreciate its uniqueness. The reentrant tuning is an important part of what gives it character. It took a while for me to learn how to use the high G and incorporate it into finger picking.

Adding to what Phil said, and I agree with him: the low G is not booming when fretted. Ever. It's the open low G that may boom. So, the playing style is crucial. Brittni Paiva, for example, in her videos (like the one I linked below) either frets the low G, or plays it so softly open. The lead is clearly on the CE and esp A strings, so the low-G player develops a 4th string subtlety that is required for low G.

For a dedicated high G player, like Jake, the high G (like its close sister, the A string) can be used for lead. It can be strummed and plucked, open or fretted, with impunity. The closeness in tuning of the high G and high A are what makes this tuning, and both require a solid pluck to be heard as they have a short wavelength. These players develop a more across the fretboard pattern.

The fingers take on a certain memory, if you will, of a high G pattern, or a low G pattern.

It is uncommon to see a player that is equally versed at both high and low G, just as a switch hitter in baseball can hit both ways, but is usually more adept at hitting one side than than the other.

Last edited:
Top Bottom