Warm easy-playing strings to go with Fremont Squeakless Low G???

tmanson

Reaction score
Step 1 was choosing a uke. Finally went with the Gretsch 9121 tenor after much deliberation. Supposed to have waited until Christmas morning to open, but come on! It's sitting in the box calling for me. So I confess (to you all, not my wife) that I opened the box twice now to check it out. Super excited by it so far.

I ordered the uke with a Fremont squeakless low G installed. My first impressions are that that string sounds great. However, the stock Aquilas for the other 3 strings sound and feel like stiff, cheap plastic.

And so my question: What would you all recommend in place of those stock (read: cheapest) Aquilas? I prefer a warm, mellow tone and since I'm new to the uke would lean toward a softer, more easy-playing string.

Thanks for the counsel. And don't tell my wife, please.

Tom

Fremont Blacklines?

I use Savarez. I ordered accustom low G set from Strings By Mail, but the wound low G just didn't sound right. When I went to he Freemont - voila! They sounded great and perfectly balanced too.

I have a set of the Fremont Blacklines with the squeakless lowG and love the sound.

The Worth browns are warm low tension (read that easy playing).

Just posted to a thread up in the beginners section...

As part of my quest to see if I was a tenor guy (I'm not), I put a Fremont smooth wound low G on a basic Kala. I find it rings forever, drowning out the other notes, almost like a drone on the bagpipes. It also vibrates on its own, picking up harmonics or whatever the correct term is, from other plucked strings. Don't care for it at all.

Top Bottom