String Tension Question?

beeejums

Reaction score
I kind of feel guilty for starting *another* thread about strings, but I searched around and couldn't find anything that answers my question...

I just migrated to uke from bass guitar, and I've used the same thing on my bass for so long I've kind of forgotten how I chose (maybe I should branch out again, but bass strings are EXPENSIVE). To cut to the quick, are the Aquila's going to put more strain on my uke than any other kind? I'm asking because I'm a little concerned about the action on the instrument... Right now it has the stock GHS strings on it, but I've never liked GHS strings for any instrument and nobody's really had anything great to say about them... So, will the type of strings I choose affect the action on my uke (which feels oh so small after playing my bass for so long), or am I like an overconcerned parent running around with one of those little bottles of hand sanitizer in my pocket?

(I just went back and reread that and realized I'm a spaz... sorry :D )

Nothing to worry about, Aquilas won't be drastically different than GHS, tension wise.

the Aquila's will feel a bit "stiffer" than GHS for sure, which is part of why I like them. I do a lot of fingerstyle stuff and hate the slippy rubber band feel of lower tension strings.

Worth also has hard & medium tension strings to check out. I've got clear mediums on a couple instruments that sound quite nice on them.

Alright... Thanks!

Is there anyone out there that prefers lower tension strings? I've read enough other "which string" threads, so I know there will be less volume, but are there any lower tension strings worth my money (in your venerable opinions, of course).

Like I said, I want to try everything, I'm just looking for a good jumping off point.

You can try guitar sets like Savarez and D'Addario Pro Arte. Use the search feature to find threads relating to the topic.

Aquilas actually seem to have the most volume of any of the strings I've tried. Very bright and loud which works wonderfully for some ukes and some folks. (They sound perfect on my Kanile'a made concert, but not so on the Koaloha.)
I think the mellower strings are where you lose a lot of volume and where you'll have a harder time cutting through in a group situation. Ko'olau Golds are to my experience the other end of the sonic spectrum from the Aquilas. All mid-range without a lot of high end. A strummer's string.

But Aquilas are a great jumping off point, I think, in terms of experimenting with different string brands in that they're very distinctive sounding which gives you a good base to figure out what you're looking for in terms of tone from there.

What are the advantages between high tension and not high tension strings? Same brand and every thing.

But Aquilas are a great jumping off point, I think, in terms of experimenting with different string brands in that they're very distinctive sounding which gives you a good base to figure out what you're looking for in terms of tone from there.

Thanks! Aquilas it is, then. When I get ahold of them, I'll let you know what I think.

What are the advantages between high tension and not high tension strings? Same brand and every thing.

Some of it is feel. I come from a guitar background and I mostly fingerpick on the uke. It's a lot of pushing and pulling on strings so I prefer a higher tension string because it doesn't slide around as much while I'm playing. Most strings are just too loose and rubber bandy which interferes with my playing style somewhat.
I also think higher tension makes it easier to play faster and cleaner. Less lateral string movement means you can get to the next individual note easier and improves fast strumming.
I'd also hazard that you might get a bit of a volume boost since you get a cleaner hit on the string and more of that energy from the vibration can get translated into sound rather than movement.

I've also always used higher gauge strings on my guitars over the years, so I'm used to it. It's what works for me. YMMV

Top Bottom