The right strings for your uke

Chordpoems

Reaction score
There's nothing particularly useful or insightful to be gained from this post. I just wanted to express and share the awesomeness of that feeling when you find that PERFECT set of strings for a specific ukulele. And how cool it is that we live in a time that so many choices and alternatives are in our reach, that good and decent instruments are available and accessible. And that what may have been dismissed as only a mediocre ukulele 20 years ago can now be matched with the ideal set of strings and be brought it to its full potential, so that even modest instruments can be made to sound pretty darn good.

What a cool time to be a musician!

I guess, for the purpose of being a little more specific and constructive, I'll point out that a LaBella "folk singer" black nylon guitar set (just the the DGBE strings) are a pretty killer match for the Lanikai SMP-TCA tenor uke with a low G.

Last edited:
Being a newbie, I have enjoyed experimenting with different strings on my Cordoba 35TS. I don't have the best ear (and I'm being generous to myself!) and have been quite surprised at how different the three strings I've tried felt and sounded. My uke came stock with D'Addorio Nylgut but I've also tried Living Water and D'Addorio Pro-Arté. On this uke, I much prefer the latter among these three (like the sound of both the LW and the Pro-Arté but much prefer the feel of the latter). But I look forward to trying others as well. It's all part of the journey into this new to me infatuation.

Yep...it's the strings that make the uke! Well...that's going a little far but strings really do make a difference. I've got a couple of ukes that I was ready to sell until I found the right strings for them.

Timely post for me. A friend has an Islander concert and she wanted me to change out the original Aquilas. I'm one of those people that will add $20 worth of strings to my Elderly order to get free shipping so have a good variety on hand. I started with Martins. On this uke they were sort of muted. Ko Olau Alohi's sounded better. Fremont Blacks were brighter but lacked bottom. Worth Browns were rich in the mids and low end. (I had a set of Living Waters and South coast strings but wasn't willing to give those up!)

I ended up leaving the Worth's on and giving her the Fremonts so she can choose between the two.

Each uke has it's own voice and it's fun to see how different strings work. At $5 a set (and reusable) it's good times to play around with.

Agreed! I was also thinking about how, particularly in the U.S., we have so many ukes and brands to choose from! And few customs and other fees compared to our overseas friends... Long live the uke and the 4, 5, 6 or 8 strings we love! Oh and the harp ukes too and all future offerings!

There's nothing particularly useful or insightful to be gained from this post. I just wanted to express and share the awesomeness of that feeling when you find that PERFECT set of strings for a specific ukulele. And how cool it is that we live in a time that so many choices and alternatives are in our reach, that good and decent instruments are available and accessible. And that what may have been dismissed as only a mediocre ukulele 20 years ago can now be matched with the ideal set of strings and be brought it to its full potential, so that even modest instruments can be made to sound pretty darn good.

What a cool time to be a musician!

I guess, for the purpose of being a little more specific and constructive, I'll point out that a LaBella "folk singer" black nylon guitar set (just the the DGBE strings) are a pretty killer match for the Lanikai SMP-TCA tenor uke with a low G.

I love aquila red series on my concert, and i like aquila nylhuts on my sopranos.
I actually was looking at the la bella baritone strings for my baritone....does anyone know if their any good?
i used to use their guitar strings on acoustics years ago and i was happy with them.

Top Bottom