NAMM January 2014?

Tele295

Reaction score
Just confirmed that I have a pass. Anybody else here going? What are the uke events not to miss?

How do you get a pass? Is it only available to store sales people or to the general public aswell? :S I was always excited to go to an event like that.

How do you get a pass? Is it only available to store sales people or to the general public aswell? :S I was always excited to go to an event like that.

Gotta be in the business or know someone who is and has extra passes. Except on Sunday it's open to the public for $25.

But first you gotta buy a plane ticket ;)

Just confirmed that I have a pass. Anybody else here going? What are the uke events not to miss?

The acoustic room is full of uke vendors. A bunch of UUers attend every year including Aldrine and Aaron. Friday or Saturday night is a large uke jam on the grassy knoll at the entrance to the convention center off Katella. Watch the forums for updates on events.

The acoustic room is full of uke vendors. A bunch of UUers attend every year including Aldrine and Aaron. Friday or Saturday night is a large uke jam on the grassy knoll at the entrance to the convention center off Katella. Watch the forums for updates on events.

Awesome! I will keep an eye out

I just looked up the NAMM site and nowhere does it say it is open to the public, but in their FAQ, it does say that visitors of a NAMM member can attend. I guess that means we would have to go to a store and show them this and see if they would put you on their list. I'd be willing to pay my way.

NAMM FAQ.png

It'll be sad without MGM's video reports.

Looking forward to those by Aldrine and Ukeeku Tim, though.

I'll be hosting the Kala Ukulele Circle at the close of the NAMM show on Sunday.
Sunday, January 26, 2014 - 3:00pm
Kala Ukulele Circle
Member Center, Anaheim Convention Center Lobby
The circle will be an easy jam designed to introduce folks to the ukulele. Kala will provide loaner ukes and there may be some giveaway items. If any UUers are around that Sunday, come help me promote our favorite instruments and recruit some new players.
http://www.namm.org/thenammshow/2014/concerts-performances/sunday

It'll be sad without MGM's video reports.

Looking forward to those by Aldrine and Ukeeku Tim, though.

Tim can't go this year.

In past years Sundays always been open to the public. Maybe it's changed. Also each member was given a limited number of employee and representative passes. You had to register online. Perhaps that's changed also.

I will be there at the GHS booth for the entire show. We'll have our fluorocarbon uke sets there, and I think I'm slated to perform on the uke Friday and Saturday mornings at the booth.

Moku Ukes will be at NAMM 2014 in Anaheim ! Come by our Booth (HALL E #1205) -we are debuting the new MV-20T Vintage Series (Styled after 40's era Tenors) -DON KIM -Singer Songwriter from DC will be performing and doing demos of the new Moku Models ;)
See you all there !

Except on Sunday it's open to the public for $25.

I hope the poster who bought plane tickets didn't do it because of this post.

It's NOT open to the public on Sunday! And you can't get a ticket even if you know a vendor at this late date (i.e. - it's Sunday!). They have to request them by early January at the latest.

The SUMMER Namm - 1/4 the size of Anaheim, and in Nashville - HAD tried being open on Sunday (for a $25 ticket fee) but there were too many complaints from vendors, so they returned to the industry-only policy.

It used to be easy to get a badge if you knew just about anyone who was going, as you could borrow a badge for a day (no visitor wants to walk that show for 4 days - it'd be like running the Boston Marathon 4 days in a row, only with more people in your way) - I generally get my badges from Fender but couldn't go this year, and in past years a couple unnamed (but well known) professional studio guitarists went wearing my sons' badges because they'd forgot to ask one of their sponsors (which, as an artist/endorsee, you usually have to do by September - hardly any company sends artists who aren';t performing unless they ask since each exhibitor only gets a certain badge allotment)!

Several years ago, however, they went to a "photo ID required" policy, and rigorously enforce it. If your name and picture on your drivers' license doesn't match the badge, you don't get in. No exceptions.

I understand their reasoning, to a point - 99% of the exhibitors are there to promote their products and sign yearly contract inventory orders to/with brick-and-mortar and internet DEALERS. Having 25,000 musicians/fans/relatives blocking access and taking up time asking endless questions prevents them from doing what they're there to do.

There are a small minority of companies who are there to promote new companies and product lines to everybody, and they want to be seen by players. But they are NOT the norm. Most of the major manufacturers are tolerant - to a point - of players/visitors, but may seem rude and literally elbow you out of the way if Guitar Center's Marketing Director walks into the room. And some companies - Gibson is notorious for this - won't let anyone in their room who isn't wearing a buyer badge (and all Gibson endorsees are given employee badges). I've seen major artists turned away at Gibson's door because they are not Gibson/Epiphone endorsees.

However, I DO think the "public Sunday" idea is a good one. I've been there in all capacities - employee working booths, artist/endorsee and "visitor", been treated differently at some booths depending on what badge I was wearing...but I think it would do the industry a lot of good (not to mention give the economy a nudge, and many music-related businesses have gotten slammed by the economy) to let eh general public in on Sunday only - that's the day most exhibitors have long been finished with their major deals for the year, is a far more "social" day, has the greatest number of artists in attendance, and is the day many exhibitors are selling display items at huge discounts so they don't have to load all the stuff back out! Even when working the show I've tried to have Sunday off - so I can see what deals I can get myself!

Anyway - that's the reality. And I don't see a "public day" coming up anytime in the near future. Too many old-guard NAMM members (ESPECIALLY in the band instrument, sheet music and pro sound/lighting parts of the industry) a dead-set against it, and they have a LOT of power!

I was at NAMM today, concentrating mainly on the ukulele booths. First let me say that I visited the Moku booth and had a very good conversation with Mike Mulqueen, a very personable guy. He has some beautiful ukuleles that he designs and is constructed in Vietnam. I find this very interesting because the last uke I bought on an eBay auction is made in Vietnam. Along with a line of retail ukes, he also makes custom ukes from wood he has in stock, for about $800 US with a short 2 month turn around. I told him I'd make mention of that to all the uke people I know.

Next, I was approaching one of the larger booths and there were two guys jamming, one on guitar, the other on ukulele. As I stepped up to them, I realized the guy on the uke was Bruce Shimabukuro, WOW! I pulled out my iPhone and videoed them in action.

Last edited:
Top Bottom