Off To Kauai!

gtomatt

Reaction score
We're off to Kauai tomorrow (after I clean up today's 14" of snow - sigh)!!

I told the wife I entered all the essential addresses into the GPS - Kauai Harley-Davidson, Scotty's Music, Chicken In A Barrel, etc. She felt it necessary to point out I might want to add things like the hotel.

Some folks just need to get their priorities sorted out :cool:....

Ah, my favorite place on Earth. Have fun - and if you are on the South shore, get a frozen mai tai at Keoki's Paradise.
Speaking of rum, the free rum tasting at Koloa Rum (at Kilohana Plantation in Lihue) is pretty fun.

If you are on the North shore or near Kapa'a, the best hamburgers ever are at Duane's Ono CharBurger in Anahola. And be sure to bring your Costco card if you are a member - they have super cheap gas compared to the rest of the island.

Make sure Scotty is open. His hours of business are random, to say the least. Great guy though, glad I bought my Kanile'a from him. I stood being the counter and tried every one he had.

Just stay away from the junk shops in Kapa'a and Koloa ;)

You're going to Kauai? Better go see Aldrine play while you are there! If I were going to Kauai I would also go to Kapaa and stop by the UU offices.

Wicked, Sukie, and Mds,

Thanks for the additional information (I didn't know UU had an actual physical location).

All shoveled out and revved up to go!!

Big K,

Thanks for the info. I've been in contact a few times regarding tenors, so hopefully I'll catch up with him.

I'm staying here
http://www.astonislander.com/

HA! I stay there every time I visit Kauai (which is every time I've been to Hawaii). In total, I think I've spent 4 months in that hotel, and I'd never stay anywhere else. Say hi to Jason behind the bar from Niq & Alison.

4thjuly.jpghoneymoon.jpgmillennium.jpg

The Ukulele Store/Larry's Music in Koloa Town is legit. It's run by Sam Bonnano's parents. Sam owns Larry's Music in Kapa'a and owns Kamoa Ukulele. I bought my Kamaka tenor there.

Sam's dad gave me my introduction to the uke when I walked past the shop in Koloa town and he was just sitting there strumming. I did not make it off the island empty handed.

Aloha Matt,
Have a great time...go rent a hot rod man...maybe ferrari...nah too much...I'd buy a uke instead...LOL

Say hello to Andy Bumatai if he's there. I doubt it, though

Hey, from one Mass native to another, that foot and a half of powder is worth it for the spring, summer and fall on the seacoast. You live in the most gorgeous area on the planet. Yep, I said it (on a Hawaii thread, no less).

PS I'll be climbing the Whites this upcoming autumn.

The Ukulele Store/Larry's Music in Koloa Town is legit. It's run by Sam Bonnano's parents. Sam owns Larry's Music in Kapa'a and owns Kamoa Ukulele. I bought my Kamaka tenor there.

Before I got in to uke seriously, I talked story with a guy at this store, who actually talked me out of buying a mid-range ukulele, and instead suggested I just save until I had enough for a K-brand. Never had that happen to me before.

Just to chime in re: Larry's Music in Kapa'a and the Ukulele Store in Koloa. I have had a number of purchases at those stores and Sam's dad in Kapa'a and his mom in Koloa are lovely people -- Sam is a great guy as well. They used to have a ton of K brand ukes, but now seem to carry mainly Kamoa -- their brand (particularly at the Kapa'a store). I think the one in Koloa still stocks some Kamaka, Kanilea and KoAloha options though.

Thanks for this post. We are heading to Kauai in May. We appreciate all the great tips! Haven't decided yet if I'll buy a uke there yet though. It will be depend on how I like what I try.

Just to chime in re: Larry's Music in Kapa'a and the Ukulele Store in Koloa. I have had a number of purchases at those stores and Sam's dad in Kapa'a and his mom in Koloa are lovely people -- Sam is a great guy as well. They used to have a ton of K brand ukes, but now seem to carry mainly Kamoa -- their brand (particularly at the Kapa'a store). I think the one in Koloa still stocks some Kamaka, Kanilea and KoAloha options though.

They still selling the Kauai-Built tenors? I'd still love one of those. Probably the only "expensive" uke I'd buy just because of where it's built.

Also, the next time you're on the island, nip down to Scotty's and ask if you can try out the same uke as yours before Kamoa bought out the design. He wouldn't sell it to me, but it'd be nice to know how it compares (or maybe it wouldn't).

Last edited:
Scotty's music in Kalaheo is a great shop, nice folks and very reasonable prices. I got a great deal on my Pono there.
As far as food goes, +1 on the frozen Mai Tai at Keoki's, can't go wrong with those.
My favorite food on Kauai is hands down Mark's Place, in the Puhi Industrial complex. http://www.marksplacekauai.com/ Just get anything, it will be awesome. Do NOT let the look of the place fool you, food is served in styrofoam plate lunch containers, but it is amazing. Really. Be sure to check the specials, often surprising stuff that is way beyond typical plate lunch fare. They only have picnic tables outside to eat on, this is not fine dining :) We would usually just take it back to our place.
Also, you must get some malasadas from the little stand out in front of KMart at Kukui Grove center. Go in the morning, she only makes them until she runs out of dough.
Hope you get to see Aldrine play!

Top Bottom