Favorite type of workshop? (or workshop horror stories?)

JonThysell

Reaction score
What's your favorite type of workshop? I've attended several since I picked up the uke, and there are some that I constantly refer to and some that I wish I'd saved my money.

Repertoire classes are pretty straight forward, give me some songsheets and lets play through most of them, at least once or twice.

Method/technique classes I find that I prefer a small set of notes or worksheets as necessary, and that the teacher goes through them, shows us a sample of each, then goes through and gives time for everyone to try it out on their instruments while the teacher gives pointers and corrections. Even a paperless workshop is fine if the teacher has a lesson outlined out in advance.

What I don't like are technique classes where they give me a sheet, tell me to look at it at home, and then proceed to not show anything in the sheets, or just talk story and not actually teach anything. I had a class where the teacher (great musician) kept asking for questions, but answered them vaguely with no examples, until students literally kept asking "Can you teach us something?" He looked confused and gave some "I gave you the sheets, you need to practice it at home" kind of answers.

I've pretty much given up on workshops as it's seemingly impossible to find one that goes beyond beginner level. I'd actually like to find intermediate- or advanced-level workshops that focus on specific techniques, rather than the ho-hum pass out a song sheet and strum chords routines that seem to be typical, but so far, I've had little luck with this - the few I've been to billed as intermediate or advanced focused on such things as moveable chords, which I learned as a beginner. I get that it's difficult to target a one-size-fits-all level, but moveable chords are pretty basic knowledge I would think.

The best workshop I've been to was one by Sarah Maisel (who I wish made more Los Angeles appearances!). She chose a song and used it to illustrate the use of extended chords. It was so well done - not only did she provide great context for what we were learning (rather than just "here, memorize this") but it worked for all levels - the beginners could follow along and strum basic first-position chords and the more experienced players could tackle the barre chords and 9ths and 13ths and such.

The worst workshop I've been to was one led by a very flamboyant player who singled me out in front of the whole group as a "wimpy" player. I walked out. I'm a very low-key player entirely uninterested in pyrotechnics and flash - I play a lot of sweet, quiet types of songs. But if an "instructor" can't grasp the basic concept that there are multiple styles of playing, and not just a single right way, then IMO they should reconsider if they really should be teaching.

I couldn't agree with Janeray1940 more. Workshops can be basic, and tend that way.

I have enjoyed the Ukulele Toolbox, by Bob Brozeman, #1 and #2, which are quite advanced. Unlike some (Lyle Ritz DVD, Del Ray DVD, etc) that just present a complex song, give tabs, and break it down, Brozeman actually reviews pattern of chords, different strum techniques, and each builds on one another. Although it's a tad biased toward traditional old-timey songs, he covers techniques (clawhammer, diffeernt picking patterns, strums, etc.) that are hard to find comprehensively in a video form. Recommended (and available on Amazon). Anyone who works through these, completely, will be a virtuoso.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNbHxSRmWhc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7or6cOjpVA

I've pretty much given up on workshops as it's seemingly impossible to find one that goes beyond beginner level. I'd actually like to find intermediate- or advanced-level workshops that focus on specific techniques, rather than the ho-hum pass out a song sheet and strum chords routines that seem to be typical, but so far, I've had little luck with this - the few I've been to billed as intermediate or advanced focused on such things as moveable chords, which I learned as a beginner. I get that it's difficult to target a one-size-fits-all level, but moveable chords are pretty basic knowledge I would think.

The best workshop I've been to was one by Sarah Maisel (who I wish made more Los Angeles appearances!). She chose a song and used it to illustrate the use of extended chords. It was so well done - not only did she provide great context for what we were learning (rather than just "here, memorize this") but it worked for all levels - the beginners could follow along and strum basic first-position chords and the more experienced players could tackle the barre chords and 9ths and 13ths and such.

The worst workshop I've been to was one led by a very flamboyant player who singled me out in front of the whole group as a "wimpy" player. I walked out. I'm a very low-key player entirely uninterested in pyrotechnics and flash - I play a lot of sweet, quiet types of songs. But if an "instructor" can't grasp the basic concept that there are multiple styles of playing, and not just a single right way, then IMO they should reconsider if they really should be teaching.

Last edited:
I've been playing ukes just short of 6 months, playing guitar for almost 50 years. Have not taken any uke classes, but I attended the first round of the free Music Center Uke-Alongs in downtown LA. I would say around 300-400 attended. We had a choice of two from six seminars, I chose 'Play for Hula Dancers' and 'Finger Picking'.

The dancer class was very well done, the Hawaiian instructor and his family were very conscientious, taking the time to show us strum, finger positions, etc. The finger picking session was a total waste of time, the instructors, a man and woman who obviously were a working duet, acted as if the class was an audition for them. They started with a long song, then talked a lot about what they do, then had us do a few hand moves like hula dancers do (nothing to do with playing the ukulele), then towards the end finally had us play a song, but by then I was fed up and walked out.

In both classes the same Music Center rep was sitting in the back. In the first class you could see how impressed he was with the presentation, in the second class, he had a notebook open making notes continuously, a frown on his face. I gave them low marks on the evaluation form I received later that week.

I also just attended the Music Center Xmas Ukulele Orchestra Friday, which they advertised as beginner to intermediate, but in my opinion is was really for intermediates. I consider myself an intermediate, but I had a bit of trouble keeping up (maybe I'm not as intermediate as I think).

I also attend bi-weekly meetings of the CC Strummers and bi-monthly rehearsals of the Westside Ukulele Ensemble (many of whom take uke classes at McCabe's). It's great fun being involved this way, I've learned and applied myself more to the uke in the last six months than I have my guitar in the last 20 years.

Last edited:
On the whole I dislike workshops because they tend to be at a beginner level. Some workshops I've attended, Sara Maisel was one teacher, and Daniel Ho another, went into enough music theory and jazz chords that I learned some things, or was reminded of some things, that were useful. I've gotten some useful stuff from a Craig Brandau fingerpicking workshop. All of these were in a setting where there actually were some fairly advanced players in the room. Some of the other instructors have been entertaining, mostly, if not particularly instructive. If I'm too bored I just leave.

It really depends on the setting. If it is just a general open to the public kind of thing, or a one time workshop, chances are its going to be very elementary. If you are in a setting where you can spend some extended time with the instructor, or the instructor visits your uke club and your uke club is reasonably advanced then it can be OK. The majority of uke situations with a group, whether it is club or some other gathering, are most likely going to be at a pretty beginner level. I've played with a number of clubs in the LA area and there is one group I've played with that has some very good players with an overall intermediate level. Everything else has been very easy beginner. This is why I usually play the bass with uke groups. Its a little more of a challenge for me and it helps to keep the group together with some control over the tempo. Beginners have a tendency either to slow to a dirge or speed up to a fast military march. A bass helps.

I'll add that the LA Music Center Uke Alongs are particularly terrible. They are fine if you are a complete beginner. They serve a purpose of bringing people together to get them interested in playing the uke. However, I went to two of them and it was enough to realize that I really hated them.

I couldn't agree with Janeray1940 more. Workshops can be basic, and tend that way.

I have enjoyed the Ukulele Toolbox, by Bob Brozeman, #1 and #2, which are quite advanced. Unlike some (Lyle Ritz DVD, Del Ray DVD, etc) that just present a complex song, give tabs, and break it down, Brozeman actually reviews pattern of chords, different strum techniques, and each builds on one another. Although it's a tad biased toward traditional old-timey songs, he covers techniques (clawhammer, diffeernt picking patterns, strums, etc.) that are hard to find comprehensively in a video form. Recommended (and available on Amazon). Anyone who works through these, completely, will be a virtuoso.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNbHxSRmWhc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7or6cOjpVA

+1 on the Brozman 2-DVD set. It's amazing, inspiring, mindblowing and simply a joy to listen to and watch a master in action.

I'm particularly interested in this thread as next year I am booked in to run several workshops myself. Feeling more than a touch of trepidation about these, for a number of reasons already mentioned. Enjoying the feedback thus far.

Come out to Hawai'i in November! You need an excuse, right? I can't recommend the Kahumoku 'Ohana Music and Lifestyle Workshop enough. One solid week of 'ukulele and slack key guitar (plus hula and lei making, etc...). 4 workshop sessions a day ranging from beginner to expert (James Hill expert, that is) on all kinds of different topics (plus private lessons and non-stop "mingling" with the teachers). It's not cheap, but if you pay attention, ask the right questions, and take notes you'll have enough to practice for at least another year or two (or three). More info: http://konaweb.com/keoki/. I'm fairly biased, but ya'll are complaining about workshops being too basic...

Hippieguy Brad and EugeneUke Jon would be outstanding advanced teachers. UU+ has amazing advanced videos, too.

Brad, your LiveUke channel does some advanced stuff already--I enjoyed the various vibratos, for example. And slides and arm wahs, bends and power chords, and on and on. Jazzy endings in Bb. How to play Octaves. It's good stuff. You've also given some techniques on more advanced songs, like Herb Ohtas Pineapple Mango. Brad, you are generous in your videos.

For anyone who has not seen it, check out Brad's excellent youtube channel and website. You rock, Brad.

Anyhow, those are advanced, I would say. Jon, you'll kill it in your workshops. You are very advanced, and a teacher now (as I recall) and the two together will be powerhouse combo.

A quick subscription to UU+ and a person can get lessons based on their skill levels, advanced as a Master Class, which is waaay up here (puts hand over head).

Last edited:
When I was in high school and college I used to attend master classes for saxophone. They were taught by famous musicians and by professors. They typically covered advanced topics in great detail. Most of the classes focused on one technique. Some topics I remember being covered were: legato tonguing, subtone, altissimo, and overtones. I always found the classes to be very helpful. The real key to master classes is practical example. It is one thing for the speaker to be able to play subtone well, it is a completely different thing to be able to teach people to play subtones well.

The problem with teachings workshops of a level like this is finding enough qualified people to participate in the class. Outside of a scholarly institution I think it would be hard to get enough interest.

I've had some great one-off workshops, Lil Revs' were particularly fun and useful, and not too "beginner focused". All of the workshops at the Portland Ukulele Festival were also great.

But yeah, the worst one was where the teacher advertised intermediate/advanced material, attracted a more advanced crowd, but let out a few remarks about how he gives uke workshops all over, and "he knows" that uke players really just want easy strumming stuff. He was the guy who the students actually asked him to teach something. He was an amazing player, but I'll never take one of his "workshops" again.

Maybe I'll have to get those Brozman DVDs, I'm not big on learning by video, but he's already a big inspiration of mine.

Teaching workshops can be very tricky. A lot of the time you have to adapt on the fly depending on the crowd you're teaching. I know I have a blast teaching, and thank you katysax and janeray1940 for the compliments.

My favorite teachers, for workshops, are Daniel Ho, Jason Arimoto, and Craig Chee. I haven't taken one with Gerald Ross yet, but I've heard great things about his classes. Also James Hill as well.

Daniel and Jason are both really great and teaching ALL levels at the same time. Both are also very organized and prepared. Craig can teach more advanced stuff, but he usually teaches beginners/intermediate. I love the hand exercises he teaches; I have started to incorporate them in my private teaching.

By the way- it was mentioned that I don't come to LA often, here is a link to a thread- Craig and I will be in the LA area very soon!

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...h-Maisel-amp-Craig-Chee&p=1450138#post1450138

We do a few work shop/ concerts here @ Uke Republic (Sarah and Craig will be here in April 2014) We try to offer a little of everything when we have work shops here. Claw hammer for ukulele, fingerstyle for ukulele, etc. Variety is is the spice of life! Tabasco sauce is also.
The Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway held every Nov. in Florida has a wonderful choice in workshops all within 3 days.

Top Bottom