Unexpected NUD, Black Bear Baritone #146

JonThysell

Reaction score
So I'm at Dusty Strings looking at uke/banjo books and I'm about to leave when I see this bari beauty across the room. I usually just give the bari area a glance cause they've had the same Kalas/Ponos for a long time now.

It was a 2002 Black Bear on consignment. Koa back and sides, spruce top, 19" scale, planetary tuners with these sweet amber orange buttons, compensated saddle and bridge pins.

WP_20131215_002.jpgWP_20131215_004.jpgWP_20131215_005.jpgWP_20131215_006.jpgWP_20131215_007.jpg

A few dings here and there, dirty and definitely been played, but no deal killers. I played it for about 20 minutes, and even amidst the xmas crowd, and with aquillas, I loved it.

Took it home, cleaned off the grime, oiled the fretboard, put on some Southcoasts- I love it. I've been looking at lighter, custom 19" baris for a while now, and this was half the price of what I've been looking at. So excited!

Oh, man! :drool:

That is a dream bari, for sure. Congrats!

Any chance of a sound sample?

Congrats! I like the 19" scale on my Bruko better than the 20+ scale on my previous Lanikai, although I'm leaning towards thinner tenor necks as a preference also. How do you like the neck on this one?

Congrats! I like the 19" scale on my Bruko better than the 20+ scale on my previous Lanikai, although I'm leaning towards thinner tenor necks as a preference also. How do you like the neck on this one?

Haha, I wondered if you'd comment on this- every time I've searched for 19" baritone on the forums you pop up. The head on this is real thin, about 3/8", neck averages about 3/4", a little thicker than my Kala tenor. So far pretty comfortable, its definitely lighter and easier to play standing than my solid acacia Kala bari.

Of course I had to look up info on Black Bear ukes, and I found the ebay listing for this uke.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Bear-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I had a feeling that the pick guard was a cover up job, and though I definitely paid more than what the uke sold for 11 days ago + parts + labor for that guard, I'm not that upset. With the kind of abuse and damage this uke must have seen, I feel like I rescued it.

Black Bear #146, you're safe now.

I don't understand why someone would decide to play this thing with a pick, let alone thrash it up so much. Either way, you walked away with a great new uke.

So I'm at Dusty Strings looking at uke/banjo books and I'm about to leave when I see this bari beauty across the room. I usually just give the bari area a glance cause they've had the same Kalas/Ponos for a long time now.

It was a 2002 Black Bear on consignment. Koa back and sides, spruce top, 19" scale, planetary tuners with these sweet amber orange buttons, compensated saddle and bridge pins.

View attachment 61974View attachment 61975View attachment 61976View attachment 61977View attachment 61978

A few dings here and there, dirty and definitely been played, but no deal killers. I played it for about 20 minutes, and even amidst the xmas crowd, and with aquillas, I loved it.

Took it home, cleaned off the grime, oiled the fretboard, put on some Southcoasts- I love it. I've been looking at lighter, custom 19" baris for a while now, and this was half the price of what I've been looking at. So excited!

sorry to be frank but damn i almost pissed my pants on how beautiful this baritone is.
what a lucky guy such a beauty!

Of course I had to look up info on Black Bear ukes, and I found the ebay listing for this uke.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Bear-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I had a feeling that the pick guard was a cover up job, and though I definitely paid more than what the uke sold for 11 days ago + parts + labor for that guard, I'm not that upset. With the kind of abuse and damage this uke must have seen, I feel like I rescued it.

Black Bear #146, you're safe now.

Its the uke I was watching on ebay! Went to look for it 3 days ago and it was gone... no wonder.
Was super busy at my new job that I didnt realize the price had gone down dramatically.
Im sure you still got it at a super price. That was I think $595 originally in the listing.
Enjoy!

What an excellent find! It's found a good forever-home, I hope.

Top Bottom