NUD!! Finally

frukmana

Reaction score
Hey guys I bought Ohana TK 35G right from Mim! She's great to deal with! And after waiting for 2 weeks and dealing with customs finally I can bring it home.

Out of the box I immediately tuned it, and bad luck brian for me the a string snapped. Luckily I have a spare string and just replace it.

After play it for a while i felt the tension is high, is it common with tenor ? I only play soprano before, this is my first tenor experience. So please guide me :D
It's strung with aquila, doesn't really like it, it feels too tight, play it for about an hour and i feel dizzy, they sound too bright for me. Is it the string or the uke ? From what i read mahogany tend to be warm and mellow, but it's bright so i assume it's the string.

Anybody here got any opinions on what strings should i try ? I prefer the medium tension and mellow sound.

Ohh and the setup from Mim is amazing, it's low action and no buzz! Kudos to Mim!

Every time i i buy a new. Uke i play it for awhile then experiment it with diffrent strings, so far my favorite string at the moment are savarez.....but you have to let it settle for at least 48 hrs . Keep playing it and tune frequently.

Congrats, it's a great uke. Aquilas rarely sound best on solid mahogany instruments. Lots of great strings...Living Waters, Fremonts, Savarez, and more.

Congrats, it's a great uke. Aquilas rarely sound best on solid mahogany instruments. Lots of great strings...Living Waters, Fremonts, Savarez, and more.
LW is good. I have Southcoast soft mediums tuned to Bb on my thinline Ohana tenor and I think it helps with the tension and tone.

Woo hoo! Congrats on the new uke. Ohana makes a great instrument and Mim is a joy to work with. Glad it finally arrived OK.

I might add Worth Medium Browns to the list. Nice mellow tone.

Enjoy and keep us posted

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys :D much appreciated
Trying to order some strings online as i only found daddario J71 in my local store. Might try that one out first.

I've read that worth strings worth of 2 ukes cause of the length ?
And yes Mim is the coolest. :D
As for the tension of tenor im used to it now and been playing for whole day long. Love me some tenor B)

Again thanks a lot guys and have a lovely day

I prefer the mellow, sweeter sound on my ukes, too. I have been liking either Low G Worth Browns or Low G Oasis (Low G Bright) strings on my tenors. The Low G Oasis string has a wound G-string while the Low G Worth Brown has a non-wound (just really thick fluorocarbon) G-string. The Oasis Low G Brights are the same as the Oasis Low G Warms with the exception that on the Low G Brights the A-string is a slightly smaller diameter and thus a little brighter sounding. I like a crisp A-string so I prefer the Oasis Brights over the Warms. With the Oasis Low Gs, I did get two tenors strung out of one set of strings.
The string tension on the Worth Browns is lower than any other strings I have tried. I think that makes them a little easier to play if you have a light touch. However, the Worth Browns did take a little longer to stretch, settle, and hold tune that the Oasis strings. If you try the Worth Browns just give them a few days of dedicated playing and tuning to reach their full potential.

Wow what a great and helpful information drmosser!
Thanks a lot! :D will definitely check those out

I prefer the mellow, sweeter sound on my ukes, too. I have been liking either Low G Worth Browns or Low G Oasis (Low G Bright) strings on my tenors. The Low G Oasis string has a wound G-string while the Low G Worth Brown has a non-wound (just really thick fluorocarbon) G-string. The Oasis Low G Brights are the same as the Oasis Low G Warms with the exception that on the Low G Brights the A-string is a slightly smaller diameter and thus a little brighter sounding. I like a crisp A-string so I prefer the Oasis Brights over the Warms. With the Oasis Low Gs, I did get two tenors strung out of one set of strings.
The string tension on the Worth Browns is lower than any other strings I have tried. I think that makes them a little easier to play if you have a light touch. However, the Worth Browns did take a little longer to stretch, settle, and hold tune that the Oasis strings. If you try the Worth Browns just give them a few days of dedicated playing and tuning to reach their full potential.

Congratulations on the new ukulele! As for the strings, what others have said about fluorocarbon strings. I have worth clears on my Kamaka and Mya-Moe tenors, and I've bought, but haven't yet installed, Living Water Strings. I've played other ukuleles with LWs, though, and they're very nice, loud without being bright.

Top Bottom