WTT Lichty Tenor Cocobolo with Sinker redwood top for your less expensive tenor :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ipcmlr

Reaction score
Quite a few people asking the buy price with no trade.

Price drop! Need the cash!

Price is $1800 paypal gift + shipping. Thats $2300 off the original price for a uke that is a 1 year old!!!

I'm kind of on the fence whether I'll trade this because on one hand its so frickin expensive and on the other hand it looks like a $4000 uke and sounds like a $4000 uke (my mom heard me on the phone noodling with the uke and said "your playing is starting to sound good. super clear notes". No mom, it just so happens i'm strumming a gazillion $$$ uke!!!)

Looking for a great tenor which costs less than the Lichty(which is about 99.999% of all the ukes out there I guess)
+ CASH

This is coolcow's custom Lichty cocobolo/sinker redwood.
This is her listing : http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...ort)-Cocobolo-Sinker-Redwood&highlight=lichty

This has pretty much every option out there in Jay Lichty land aside from a pickup:
http://lichtyguitars.com/2013/04/26/custom-ukulele-cocobolo-low-g-tenor/

It has some minor strum marks and a minor cosmetic blemish behind the headstock. I'll take a pic of those and post them tomorrow.

Comes with oahu hardshell case.

I'd just like to add that even the soundport of this uke looks fantastic. I was wowed by a hole on the side of a uke, now thats something!

PM me your trades.

P1010502.jpgP1010525.jpgP1010496.jpgP1010484.jpgP1010479.jpg

Last edited:
I might have a trade, but, would only do it for such expensive ukes in person (whereas most wouldn't need this). Where are you located, Ipcmlr, please?
Absolutely gorgeous instrument.

I might have a trade, but, would only do it for such expensive ukes in person (whereas most wouldn't need this). Where are you located, Ipcmlr, please?
Absolutely gorgeous instrument.
I'm in Maryland 20 min away from DC.

Ouch. Thanks.

This is a gorgeous instrument in every respect. Lichty. Wow. Someone will bite since you are accepting trades. Super nice, ipcmlr.

coolkayaker, its less than a 2 hr flight from chicago!

Ok. Update on this uke.
I traded it to somebody for another uke.
Problem is the guy I traded it to found a crack on the top about an inch or so long close to the lower bouts binding.

At first I though it might not be a crack but a defect of sort in the wood as it was very thin along the grain.
I sent it a luthier(fantastic guy named Todd Stock) and he said "it is a crack". Bummer.
He says its a stress crack not a humidity related crack.

Never saw it before but maybe it was there before I shipped it. I don't really pore over the instruments I get too much.
Maybe it got trashed around when I shipped it from the east coast to the west coast.
Or maybe when it was shipped from Hong Kong.
Anyway, I had it repaired.

Since it's very minor no cleats needed just glue and refinish and buffed the area.
It's close to invisible now. You can still see the trail of the old crack if you look hard but you won't be able to feel it as it's completely glued and smoothed over now by lacquer.

He says to wait for 3 weeks and check if after the lacquer completely dries up the signature of the old crack becomes more visible and he will refinish it again. He says it's the nature of that finish to shrink a bit so in case the signature of the crack reappears he'll just need to refinish and buff but the crack is completely repaired and was very minor it most likely would not have become bigger even if it was not repaired.

So just look for updates here in a month after lacquer has completely dried I'll repost here.
Uke will be lower priced for sure.
So someone will get a lichty way below normal price.

Thanks.

Ok. Update on this uke.
I traded it to somebody for another uke.
Problem is the guy I traded it to found a crack on the top about an inch or so long close to the lower bouts binding.

At first I though it might not be a crack but a defect of sort in the wood as it was very thin along the grain.
I sent it a luthier(fantastic guy named Todd Stock) and he said "it is a crack". Bummer.
He says its a stress crack not a humidity related crack.

Never saw it before but maybe it was there before I shipped it. I don't really pore over the instruments I get too much.
Maybe it got trashed around when I shipped it from the east coast to the west coast.
Or maybe when it was shipped from Hong Kong.
Anyway, I had it repaired.

Since it's very minor no cleats needed just glue and refinish and buffed the area.
It's close to invisible now. You can still see the trail of the old crack if you look hard but you won't be able to feel it as it's completely glued and smoothed over now by lacquer.

He says to wait for 3 weeks and check if after the lacquer completely dries up the signature of the old crack becomes more visible and he will refinish it again. He says it's the nature of that finish to shrink a bit so in case the signature of the crack reappears he'll just need to refinish and buff but the crack is completely repaired and was very minor it most likely would not have become bigger even if it was not repaired.

So just look for updates here in a month after lacquer has completely dried I'll repost here.
Uke will be lower priced for sure.
So someone will get a lichty way below normal price.

Thanks.

wow bad news....
where was it sent to could be the change in weather caused the crack...did it go to a drier climate....

you will never know...good luck
btw I saw some Litchey's and they were French Polished....I am sure yours was nitrocellouse lacquer

Last edited:
Don't know what type of lacquer he puts.
Luthier said its a very thin coating of lacquer so he was super careful when he was sanding the finish off.

I did enjoy it whenever guitar guys were there having stuff repaired and I pulled out the lichty.
One of them gasped when I pulled it out LOL. "That's a beautiful instrument..." They were having their Otis Taylor Santa Cruz neck reset or something.

When I picked up the uke today another guy was having his Benedetto arch top looked at(had an awful looking 5 inch crack at the side. You could see thru it. Eek!) and he said "wow, what kind of wood is that?!" Pointing to the cocobolo back. Todd told him to check out the ridiculous curly koa bindings as well.

When I took it there for the first time Todd the luthier told me that it had a great tone and the fretwork was really well done.

If I didn't need money I'd probably just keep this. Sounds spectacular and different. It's like a uke with a lot of overtones and sustain. Alas most of us do need money so... We'll see what happens.

you should check with Jay Litchy on what kind of finish iit is...if it is French polish,it might be the wrong repair....

I hope I am wrong...but nothing wrong with checking....good luck!!

you should check with Jay Litchy on what kind of finish iit is...if it is French polish,it might be the wrong repair....

I hope I am wrong...but nothing wrong with checking....good luck!!
100% sure it is not french polish.
It is a water based lacquer of some sort.

Last edited:
Shouldn't you send the uke back to Jay to have him look at it? Temperature extremes may be the culprit but, personally, I would want the original luthier to check everything out. Unless that top is replaced, the resale value will be severely impacted.

I certainly feel your "pain". I bought a small guitar from the luthier that made it. It was about 12 years old and had stood up well. The top was "sinker redwood" which I loved the history of. Well, it was shipped from North Carolina to a coastal town in California. We're only about a block from the ocean so I never worried about the humidity. What I didn't consider was forced air heat which we rarely use and the big windows with sunlight. I left it sitting out on a stand. One night after a jam at a very cold building I noticed a crack in the top when I got home and took it out of the case. Panic time. I took it to a local Master Luthier in Santa Barbara who was very familiar with sinker redwood. When he checked it out he found another crack. He massaged glue into the cracks and they are now hard to see but I do know they're there. It's something I don't plan to sell and I am now careful to put it in the case. He suggested that I don't "loan" it to others to try out. They do tend to be a bit more delicate to the "beat it up" style of playing which I don't do. It never effected the play and if it hadn't been in a cold building and then back to our house I don't know how long it would have been before I noticed the crack.(s) I even put my "best" ukes back in their cases and off the walls. I'm sure the guitar that's being traded will be fine if my history is any indication.

Shouldn't you send the uke back to Jay to have him look at it? Temperature extremes may be the culprit but, personally, I would want the original luthier to check everything out. Unless that top is replaced, the resale value will be severely impacted.

Yes the ukes value will be impacted.

Well first it's extremely cold this time of year here so I did not want to ship this uke yet again.

2nd it is a very small crack at the edge of the uke. It is a very minor repair. It is not a replace the top repair, not even close. It did not even need a cleat.

3rd the luthier i brought it to is a super knowledgeable and precise guy. He will do as good a job as any with the repair. He is also a very fine custom guitar builder and makes customs for a bunch of touring pros and bands.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-183894.html

If the guy can make a tiny guitar that sounds like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkFnb_1V0qA) he can repair a small crack on a uke.

Here is a pic of the crack as sent by the guy I traded it with. Hopefully you can spot it.

image.jpg

100% sure it is not french polish.
It is a water based lacquer of some sort.

sorry....i had the Litchy's and the Pepe Romero Jr.ukes mixed up....i am at HMS looking at the Litchy
the Pepe's are French Polish

good luck with the sale...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom