Electronic Tuner: To Use or Not to Use: A Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Southcoast Ukuleles sent out a marketing email the other day saying that it was better NOT to use an electronic tuner. Their points were that:(a) you should have your strings relatively in tune but if you are by yourself it doesn't matter what the key is, and (b)you will develop your ear better by learning to use it to tune.

I think this is very wrong advice and to some extent is an expression of some of my frustrations with the ukulele community.

Yes, ukulele playing should be fun. We aren't training to be members of the philharmonic. But a little basic musicianship will lead to better playing which will ultimately be more fun. If you want to tune to a key other than standard tuning when you are by yourself. Go for it. There are a lot of good reasons to do it. But you will have a lot easier time fitting in with other musicians, and also learning to copy things you hear, if you at least develop a sense for where standard tuning is. Change your key all you want, but know you are changing the key.

Your ear will develop better with an electronic tuner. I played saxophone for years. Woodwinds are all inherently out of tune. Kind of like playing fretless, you tune them with your ear as you play. I played a couple of years with a college band that had some of the top professional studio musicians as ringers. Guess what, some of the top woodwind players in the world practice with electronic tuners clipped to their instrument. In my view the Internet and electronic tuners are game changing for people learning to play. My ear has improved significantly since using electronic tuners. Consistently hearing things in tune makes it more apparent when they are not.

Music is tone, pitch and rhythm. A metronome is also an aid. Is Southcoast ukes going to suggest - never use a metronome - you'll learn to keep time better if you rely on your natural sense of time. Are they going to suggest that it doesn't matter if you keep time because you are only playing by yourself?

If you want to play by yourself and only by yourself, then don't use a tuner, don't use a metronome. If you want to learn to play music with other musicians or that other people will enjoy, get a tuner, practice with a metronome, learn a bit of music theory and (gasp) learn to read music.

I agree that I was a little taken aback by that email that Dirk sent out.

I had some other things written up, but your argument needs no additional support, since you are correct and I agree 100% with you.

I have been playing guitar since 1969 and Uke since 2011 or so. To this day I cannot tune by ear to any level of precision that I can with an electronic tuner. Once I got my first electronic tuner about 1994, I actually began to play in tune consistently. My ears have actually gotten better at detecting an out of tune instrument since I have gotten used to actually playiung in tune.

Before electronic tuners, tuning with one of these things was really the pits.
$T2eC16RHJIQE9qUHsjWjBRkNPwob1w~~60_35.JPG

FWIW, I unsubscribed from the SouthCoast emails a long time ago.

I always appreciate Dirk's discussions. I've been tuning guitars, banjos, ukuleles etc. for many years and have a good ear for pitch, but I still like to start with an electronic tuner and then fine tune from there.

I liked Dirk's points and here's a video with the great Joel Ekhaus demonstrating the freedom and benefits of alternate tunings. I always like to keep an open mind about different ways to play. Also, Dirk's recommendation was mainly for people who play by themselves and he estimates that percentage to be 80%-90% of ukulele players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDvcoIQyjYE

Last edited:
I liked Dirk's points and here's a video with the great Joel Ekhaus demonstrating the freedom and benefits of alternate tunings. I always like to keep an open mind about different ways to play. Also, Dirk's recommendation was mainly for people who play by themselves and he estimates that percentage to be 80%-90% of ukulele players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDvcoIQyjYE

Altered tunings are awesome, there is no doubt about that.

I've been reading and re-reading Dirk's column in an effort to try and see what he was really getting at. I understand what he's saying about tuning as a soloist (in that, if you're just accompanying yourself, you can tune to whatever you're most comfortable with singing, or what's best for the uke), and a lot of musicians in general do this; look at all the blues players that tune their guitar down a 1/2 step, because they like the tone better.

The ability to know how to tune your instrument to itself is also a very valuable tool, but it relies on the fact that the instrument is intonated properly. For many finely made instruments, this is a non-issue. For many of the mass-produced ukuleles out there, I would say that the intonation at the 5th fret starts to get just a tad dicey, and unless you want a luthier or tech to set it up for you, you are going to have a hard time properly tuning that instrument AND are going to hurt yourself in the long run if you are just starting out.

But really, as a classically-trained musician myself, you learned from the start that a tuner was a tool; nothing more, nothing less. It was meant to be used to train your ear so that you'd be able to tune your instrument from ANY given pitch. It should not be something that a musician has to use like a crutch in order to be able to tune their instrument and play, which is what I'm assuming Dirk was really getting at.

But if we're nit-picking, many symphonic orchestras (as in, an orchestra that has a string section and full brass and reed section), will opt to pull the tuning note from the oboe instead of the violin. And prior to that, the oboist (or violinist) will use a tuner to ensure the note they will be giving is a440.

Last edited:
I agree mainly with the original point.I led a ukulele club for almost
two years (I now lead a different one!) and I was amazed as a
former guitarist,just how many of the members could NOT tune
'by ear' after tuning one string to a tuner or piano or tuning fork.
On guitar,it was second nature to me (and I played 12 string just
to complicate the issue,for many years!)
Once having one sting (ANY one string come to that) in tune and
in CONCERT PITCH according to whatever method you choose,you
ought to be able to tune the other three strings to be in tune with
that one,and therefore ALL in concert pitch.Just my way of going
about it of course,and each to their own.
I am reminded though,of guitar beginners,back in the day,who returned
to the music store where they had bought the guitar,within a couple of
days of purchase,and complaining that the guitar 'was not in tune!!!'

Southcoast Ukuleles sent out a marketing email the other day saying that it was better NOT to use an electronic tuner. Their points were that:(a) you should have your strings relatively in tune but if you are by yourself it doesn't matter what the key is, and (b)you will develop your ear better by learning to use it to tune.

I think this is very wrong advice and to some extent is an expression of some of my frustrations with the ukulele community.

Yes, ukulele playing should be fun. We aren't training to be members of the philharmonic. But a little basic musicianship will lead to better playing which will ultimately be more fun. If you want to tune to a key other than standard tuning when you are by yourself. Go for it. There are a lot of good reasons to do it. But you will have a lot easier time fitting in with other musicians, and also learning to copy things you hear, if you at least develop a sense for where standard tuning is. Change your key all you want, but know you are changing the key.

Your ear will develop better with an electronic tuner. I played saxophone for years. Woodwinds are all inherently out of tune. Kind of like playing fretless, you tune them with your ear as you play. I played a couple of years with a college band that had some of the top professional studio musicians as ringers. Guess what, some of the top woodwind players in the world practice with electronic tuners clipped to their instrument. In my view the Internet and electronic tuners are game changing for people learning to play. My ear has improved significantly since using electronic tuners. Consistently hearing things in tune makes it more apparent when they are not.

Music is tone, pitch and rhythm. A metronome is also an aid. Is Southcoast ukes going to suggest - never use a metronome - you'll learn to keep time better if you rely on your natural sense of time. Are they going to suggest that it doesn't matter if you keep time because you are only playing by yourself?

If you want to play by yourself and only by yourself, then don't use a tuner, don't use a metronome. If you want to learn to play music with other musicians or that other people will enjoy, get a tuner, practice with a metronome, learn a bit of music theory and (gasp) learn to read music.

I think the tuners allow you to for one tune quickly in loud situations, and two get pretty accurate as well.
I also think its terrible advice (just because the guy makes ukes and strings doesn't mean hes the knower of all no offense)
i think the advice is bad because if you are tuning to 'whatever' your ear will never get used to hearing the strings tuned to
most accurate pitch. I also noticed ukes are very temperamental with tuning vs guitars. I used to when i started i would
tune my guitar to 'whatever' than i realized it was causing my singing to be horrible and have no pitch.
I started to tune my guitar after to whatever proper key i wanted to tune in and it helped develop my ears and voice
to the sound of the correct pitches. The same with ukulele if your in C, or if your in D or if your in G on a baritone
you should be hearing the proper exact pitches so your voice/brain can get used to them to be able to sing along
and hear the proper tones. I play by myself, but im also a recording musician i just don't do live sets anymore.
I would never ever, want to hear an instrument tuned to 'whatever' its the laziest thing i have ever heard.
Electronic tuners are accurate and will help train the ears, if your playing alone or with a band or for fun
you still should learn the proper pitches as it will make your playing better and make the experience more easy
and fun.

Why was the guitar player crying?

Because the drummer de-tuned one of his strings and wouldn't tell him which one.

(rimshot)

My ears have actually gotten better at detecting an out of tune instrument since I have gotten used to actually playiung in tune.

Me too. I've found that, especially with my own instruments, I can tell almost right away if something is off (esp., as I experiment with slacked tunings and the strings go sharp, as opposed to the usual problem of strings going flat). I'm not as good as with ukes I don't own, but I feel like I've gotten better.

I've played guitar for almost 50 years and to this day cannot tune by ear, even have a tough time with string to string relative tuning. I love having an electronic tuner, to the point where I've installed or swapped in preamps with built-in tuners in all my ukuleles. My next one is already electric, so I just ordered a stand alone built-in tuner that I'm going to install in it's side.

archtop style.jpg
mini tuner small.jpg

I use one of my clip on tuners before I play any of my ukes. I expect I always will. I am fine with that. To each their own. Whatever makes people happy.

I can't imagine not tuning with an electronic tuner, even though I play mostly by myself. Maybe this is because my music training started with a cappella choir singing, where we all had to be in perfect unison, or maybe I just lack the self-confidence (justifiably so, in my case) to tune purely by ear every time.

This reflects one of the things about the internet that just annoys me - through the magic of a "send" or "publish" or "post" button, anybody can be an expert and declare what the "rules" are.

One of the first things my ukulele instructor (who is quite capable of tuning by ear but often uses an electronic tuner!) told me was that with ukulele there are no rules - if it helps you be a better musician, then do it. Of course that's just one other "expert" opinion, but it's the only one I choose to believe.

This reflects one of the things about the internet that just annoys me - through the magic of a "send" or "publish" or "post" button, anybody can be an expert and declare what the "rules" are.

One of the first things my ukulele instructor (who is quite capable of tuning by ear but often uses an electronic tuner!) told me was that with ukulele there are no rules - if it helps you be a better musician, then do it. Of course that's just one other "expert" opinion, but it's the only one I choose to believe.

I think its fine if someone plays alone with out a tuner. But i don't think it will help develop
their ears to proper pitch. I know for me if its not tuned correct to pitch i have a hard
time singing. I tend to have a hard time hearing pitches actually in terms of my voice
so it really helps when i hear the sound of C chord for instance to match my voice
properly if im learning a song i want to be able to sing it properly and on key
by tuning it right, listening to the actual song i'm able to make myself a better
singer and musician. I had this problem when i first started when i was a teenager
i would just tune to whatever and nothing sounded right, than i got a pitch pipe
which was annoying to tune with but it got my ears trained for hearing the proper
pitches and no i can't sing on key unless the instrument is tuned to those proper
notes im used to (which is how their supposed to sound anyway) and if you ever
are playing with a group if you decide its much easier to have everyone tune up
their instruments with electric tuners and be on point than to go 'give me your G".
that was the old way when i was kid playing with friends "give me your E string"
and of course no one was tuned to a proper E we just tuned our instruments in unison
to one anothers 'whatever' tuning and thats just not the right way to do it if you
ever want to be a good musician and learn how the proper pitches are supposed to sound.

I think its fine if someone plays alone with out a tuner. But i don't think it will help develop
their ears to proper pitch. I know for me if its not tuned correct to pitch i have a hard
time singing. I tend to have a hard time hearing pitches actually in terms of my voice
so it really helps when i hear the sound of C chord for instance to match my voice
properly if im learning a song i want to be able to sing it properly and on key
by tuning it right, listening to the actual song i'm able to make myself a better
singer and musician. I had this problem when i first started when i was a teenager
i would just tune to whatever and nothing sounded right, than i got a pitch pipe
which was annoying to tune with but it got my ears trained for hearing the proper
pitches and no i can't sing on key unless the instrument is tuned to those proper
notes im used to (which is how their supposed to sound anyway) and if you ever
are playing with a group if you decide its much easier to have everyone tune up
their instruments with electric tuners and be on point than to go 'give me your G".
that was the old way when i was kid playing with friends "give me your E string"
and of course no one was tuned to a proper E we just tuned our instruments in unison
to one anothers 'whatever' tuning and thats just not the right way to do it if you
ever want to be a good musician and learn how the proper pitches are supposed to sound.

and btw i agree with a lot of the things i read southcoast said about alt tunings and now just because
mainstream publishers say a uke has to be tuned to a certain tuning doesnt mean it has to. Im not
against someone tuning their uke to Bflat or something like that. My argument is if their going to tune
it to any tuning it should be exact to pitch.

and btw i agree with a lot of the things i read southcoast said about alt tunings and now just because mainstream publishers say a uke has to be tuned to a certain tuning doesnt mean it has to.

True. I think many publishers pick C because it's the most widespread, and the easiest to learn off the bat. Give me five minutes, and I can teach someone 4-5 chords in C tuning right off the bat.

Im not against someone tuning their uke to Bflat or something like that. My argument is if their going to tune it to any tuning it should be exact to pitch.

Me either, or with altered tunings; play whatever you want. But without that formal knowledge of what IS considered in tune and to pitch, having a new person start by just having them play in whatever key is best is going to lead to a lot of issues down the road.

That said, I'm listening to a guitarist on NuMuBu right now (live video stream), who said her guitar is tuned to A=432, because she likes the tonality more. However, this is a musician with a lot of training and practice behind her, and as such, it makes more sense than just a beginner.

True. I think many publishers pick C because it's the most widespread, and the easiest to learn off the bat. Give me five minutes, and I can teach someone 4-5 chords in C tuning right off the bat.

Me either, or with altered tunings; play whatever you want. But without that formal knowledge of what IS considered in tune and to pitch, having a new person start by just having them play in whatever key is best is going to lead to a lot of issues down the road.

That said, I'm listening to a guitarist on NuMuBu right now (live video stream), who said her guitar is tuned to A=432, because she likes the tonality more. However, this is a musician with a lot of training and practice behind her, and as such, it makes more sense than just a beginner.

It may be easier but its also very easy to explain how to use a clip on tuner and get them set up in hearing the correct pitches
because lets face it most of the 'classic' songs their going to start off with are in C and if they can tune up correct to pitch
and hear it right they will be able to play along and sing these songs on key and in the correct pitch pretty quickly and get
started right off the bat developing their ears to hear the correct pitches and can see for themselves on the tuner when its sharp
or flat and get used to how it should sound than go from there. It took me at least a year when i was about 15 i started at 14
just tuning to whatever to get used to hearing correct pitches for doing 'whatever' i think it saves the headache if they start off
new using proper pitches.

While I use and endorse an electric tuner, I just have to jump in here and express some skepticism. The idea that somehow you are training your ear better if you're tuning to an A440 is ridiculous. I would wager that 99% of people that play the uke (or any other instrument) cannot correctly identify middle C if played out of the blue. And that's okay, you don't need to be able to do that to be a great musician (perfect pitch is extremely rare, even among the best musicians out there). What you are training when you play is not some sense of "perfect" pitch, it's "relative" pitch. In other words, the ability to hear how pitches relate to other pitches (so that you can, for example, find a minor 6th above whatever you are currently playing/singing, without knowing that that pitch is a C or an F# or whatever).

If you tune your uke without a tuner, you can absolutely develop an incredible ear, and, here's the best part, if you then started using an electric tuner, say because you wanted to play with others, that relative pitch that you've developed comes right along for the ride. That's the beauty of it: it's relative! It doesn't matter where you start.

So, while I tune with an electric tuner (my wife is a singer and piano teacher so there is a lot of fixed tuning playing in my house), I just think it's erroneous to think that someone can't develop a great ear without using the "standard" tuning.

At the end of the day, use an electric tuner if you like, but if you feel that your instrument plays and sounds better at a different string tension than what your tuner is telling you is "correct" then go for it. You're training and developing your ear just like everybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom