Guess the Wood

Spanish cedar

looks a lot like my Martin C1K solid Koa...

Reminds me of mahogany

Monkey Pod?

Last edited:
Thanks for the guesses! This is a unique relative of Bocote and Ziricote, locally known as Laurel Negro. Cordia Megalantha. Virtually nonexistent in the US market, I've seen it used as a Mahogany alternative under the name 'rock candy mahogany,' I assume because it can have a lot of ray figure like mahogany but has more various and different coloration.
I think the tonal potential of this stuff is similarish to Koa. Similarly to koa it exhibits very different characteristics depending on where it is grown, what it is grown in, how old it is, rainfall, etc. The tone of the uke in the photo is very mid range-y like mahogany but less balanced than I would expect from mahogany. It sounds sparkly on the highs like koa and woody on the mids like mahogany.

Last edited:
No, Señor. El mango es de cedro, pero la caja es caobilla.

en costa rica he escuchado el nombre caobilla usado para carapa guianensis, Cedrela tonduzii, Vatairea lundellii y otros. entonces muy probable que los especies suaves de cordia como el laurel mastate y el laurel negro son conocido como caobilla tambien.

Lol, I hadn't yet checked the 2nd page of responses but my first guesses were Bocote &/or Ziricote. Looks just like many of the 1911 Pistol Grips I've made from those woods.
looks great!

Top Bottom