Set-up question

Valerie

Reaction score
Okay, so I swaped the strings out on my Koa Pili Koko from Aquilas to clear Worths (medium tension)

Before the switchout, I noticed that the E Aquila string had a buzz when I fretted at the 1st and 2nd fret. Not a bad buzz, mind- but the kind of buzz that once I noticed it, it was all I could hear.

Anyways, I make the switcharoo and am happy to report that the buzzing E string dissapeared! (wahoo)

But now the C string buzzez when fretted up to the 4th fret (but not in open) And to be fair, it only buzzes when I play loudly- when I strum/pluck softly it doesn't buzz at all.

Anyways, I know there is a way to correct this with proper set-up. But I can't for the life of me remember how, nor can I seem to find the thread where I remember reading about it before.

So the question is this:

How to set up strings:

-What to do if it buzzes in open?
(I know this one, I think... build up height at the nut)

-What to do if it buzzes when fretted?
(build up at the saddle???)

-When would you sand down a slot in the nut?

-When would you sand down the saddle?
(I think I know this one too: when action is too high when measured at the 12th fret.)

I'm not going to make any changes right away... Not until I decide what strings I like best (hense all the questions... so that I don't have to come back and play the dunce a second time.)

You wuill probably find that you dan't have to mess with the nut or saddle,if it didn't seem high to you before.The E string buzz could have been a bad string,that sometimes happens with all the manufacturers.You might want to wipe down the fretboard with some orange oil or something like that while you have the strings off.The C string buzz could also be that the string isn't sitting well in the groove on the nut.

Last edited:
I think I recall the post you mentioned almost remembering. Somebody mentioned they had put a spit-wadded piece of paper in the nut-grooves to keep the strings fitting snugly. Personally, I think that's kinda gross, but if it works, it might be worth a try.

How to set up strings:

-What to do if it buzzes in open?
(I know this one, I think... build up height at the nut)

-What to do if it buzzes when fretted?
(build up at the saddle???)

-When would you sand down a slot in the nut?

-When would you sand down the saddle?
(I think I know this one too: when action is too high when measured at the 12th fret.)

Let try a response to each question:

First off, you don't set up strings, you set up an instrument.

Open buzz - Strings, check for loose anything, how the strings sit in the nut, action at the nut.

Buzz when fretted - strings, string tension (or lack of), frets loose, frets not level, action at saddle.

When. . .nut - action too high at nut, strings not seating properly.

When. . .saddle - in addition, when a UST is installed, when strings break (recrowning).

This is by no means the end all, but are all very common. The one that most everyone misses is reslotting the nut when you change strings, especially when changing gauges, which is what you did. Unfortunately, you went smaller, so a correct nut slot would mean a nut replacement, which is what I would do, but that's just me.

Go to Frank Ford's site for more detailed info.

Hope this helps - Aaron

Top Bottom